[Urgent] I could not disassembly my 3-piece rod

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi all,

someone at the river suggested me to oil/lurb connecting sections of my 3-piece 13'6 Shedfield rod

to keep it in good condition .. (he did not explain why ..)

Anyhow, i oiled them and put them together .. and HECK! I could not take them off now!

I suspect it is caused by negative pressure due to the oil sealing the sections ...

please help!

I know this sounds a bit silly but I've had success with stuck 2 piece rods by doing this.

Stand up and put the rod behind your knees. With the rod behind your knees, grasp the rod with your hand, one hand on either side of the place you want to separate. Keep your wrists close too your knees. Rather than pulling with your hands, push out on your wrists with your knees. The idea is that by pushing on your wrists with your knees it keeps the force in a straight line, rather than the twisting that ends up happening by just pulling with your hands.

Was it in a clear tube and have the word crazy in its name :lol:

Try applying some heat to it, this will liquify the grease and should release it, just be careful not to get it to hot. Even a rag dipped it boiling water should heat it up enough, or pour the boiling water right over it

AND DONT EVER OIL YOUR ROD JOINTS AGAIN

Edited by TOM C

Guest Fishing For Life

Hey guys,

this is not funny at all ...

it costed me both legs and arms to purchase that rod ...

it was a thin oil/lub not grease ...

what to do?

i'd let it sit out in the sun for a bit 1st off. If it is a vaccume thing, then the seal is air tight. Warming the rod should warm the air trapped inside, creating less pressure. At the same time the heat should make the oil thinner. After you have let it sit out for a while grab either side of a joint and twist and pull a little...with more twsiting then pulling see if she comes loose.

If that doesn't work we'll have to come up with something else. Just let the rod lay in teh sun on teh patios or something.....as long as it wont get stepped on.

-R-

I had a rod stick together once. It wasn't caused by oil though, it was just stuck. I applied really hot water with a rag to just the bottom (female) half of the joint, thinking that it would expand quicker than the male end,...and it worked! Took a few minutes to heat up but I could feel it loosening up as I was twisting on the top piece and then it just slid right out.

But....this wasn't a real expensive high end rod so I would be really careful in your situation and I don't want to be responsible for any damages, so my advice is do not listen to me. (my legal disclaimer B) )

I'd go with Tom C's "pour hot water on the joint" as a first shot...though maybe not quite boiling. (No concrete reason, I'm just the extremely cautious type, and I'm not sure how happy rods are with that high heat.) Heating the outside part of the stuck joint will make it larger, which should loosen things up. Try to keep the water on the handle side of the joint, you don't want to expand the inside/tip section of the joint.

Anything I can't take the lid off of (glass jars, plastic pop bottles, whatever) routinely gets held under the hot tap for 10-15 seconds. Opens right up after that. You just have to remember to cool the lid off before you put it back on the container, or you'll definitely need the hot water again next time.

This trick also works when you set one glass tumbler inside another and they get stuck. Turn the water on the bottom glass, and when it expands the top one will come right out.

Good luck!!

Next question for the more knowledgeable guys...what's a safe solvent to remove the oil with, once he gets the sections apart?

I know this sounds a bit silly but I've had success with stuck 2 piece rods by doing this.

Stand up and put the rod behind your knees. With the rod behind your knees, grasp the rod with your hand, one hand on either side of the place you want to separate. Keep your wrists close too your knees. Rather than pulling with your hands, push out on your wrists with your knees. The idea is that by pushing on your wrists with your knees it keeps the force in a straight line, rather than the twisting that ends up happening by just pulling with your hands.

Verno has got your answer. This was always the case with the metal furrle on the older rods, especially the Algonquin fly rods.

I would use just regular dish soap to take the oil off the rod after you pulled it apart. then you can use a wax stick so that this doesn't happen again. But I would not put oil on a rod I would be scared of chemical reaction with the fiberglass or whatever is used to seal the rod.

Pretty much 100% of my fishing many years ago in the UK was done with long (12' +) glass rods with brass ferrules. Never ever, ever use oil to lubricate ferrules. I used to carry a piece of white candle around with me that did the job real well. Don't put your rod down on the shore disassembled you are just going to get dirt and grit in the ferrule.

:thumbsup_anim:

I also fished in the UK, using a 12' - 3 piece. An old Codger told me to use the sweat on the side of your nose to lubricate the ferrules. I never did get any stuck ferrules.

Must have been the same codger that told that to me too......it does work......... :thumbsup_anim:

This has always worked for me.

You need four hands (two should belong to someone else)

At the joint, grab rod, one hand on each piece. Your buddy does the same thing facing you, staggering his hand w/ yours. count to three, pull, and it should come right off. Does that make sense?

I hope it does. good luck

Well.........you'll not like this but,

The last 2 pce rod i ever owned was a Shimano..(So are all my new 1pce)

and I ended up taking it back to where i bought it from..(Gagnon's..in Oshawa)

They also gave it there best in the shop with no good result.......

Because of the maker and the greatness of the Gagnon respect for their customers.

They simply gave me another...........NoCharge TYVM

Good luck Bud!

I still use the old "oil from the side of your nose" trick. Just twist the male end of the ferrule along the side of your nose, and you have natures perfect ferrule lubricant. I read this some thirty years ago and have been using it since.

I still use the old "oil from the side of your nose" trick. Just twist the male end of the ferrule along the side of your nose, and you have natures perfect ferrule lubricant. I read this some thirty years ago and have been using it since.

but that oil is stinky....

G

this will work.....pack the joints of the rod in ice to quickly cool it,,,,,then remove,,never use oil or grease ,,,i wouldn't even suggest wax,,,,what i would recommend is a dry lubricant like grafite spray