Trent severn flows

tinbanger

Pikeie and I stopped by the dam in Coboconk as part of the MNR/OFAH walley spawning count surveylast night.

Not a single fish , flow was very fast with two of the sluices (sp?) wide open . with more rain on its way and lots of snow in the bush to melt yet it will only get worse. Feel for those like Moira River Man who will be impacted .

Spoke iwth the OFAH rep today and the three dams he checked also had higher than normal flows and only fish at one of them .According to the MNR biologist whose running the show they should be spawning at these sites by now , but like everything this year they're late .

I wonder if this will have an impact on walleye spawning success this year or do they just move down river ?

tb

Water temps is what i was thinking as well as soon as i read this. A late spawn might be good for them. A common problem thats been occuring the last few years is the eggs are deposited, then we get a rainey cold snap. That is NOT good for egg/fry survival. A later spawn may increase the survival with warmer days present. High, cold water might not be ideal now, but it may prove to be benificial yet.

Here's hoping for a stong cohort this this year....populations all over could use one.

-R-

same with the trout out my way not to many spawning yet and i always think of rainbows like walleye. they come in around fall and spawn in the spring gona be late and interesting for opener. i agree with the fact it will be a better spawn this year

There is over 400 cubic meters per second going thru the locks in bobcaygen as of yesterday......that's a huge volume of water, and its only going to go up. The Otonobee river is only getting 360 cm/s.......We're expecting 25mm of rain in the next 2 days, and there is still lots of snow in the bush to melt. Those are some HUGE flows.

I've been working on the east tribs this week, and the temps are between 3-5 degrees C, I'm not sure what the preferred temp is for eyes, but that's much colder than normal for this time of the year for those tribs. The males are making redds in some of the tribs, but overall, its later than normal.

The only problem with this high water in the Trent Severn, is the fish will spawn, then the water will drop, and the eggs could be left out of water. Its happened before......it could happen again this year.

Higher water levels overall are a good thing, lets just hope it doesn't mess up the pickeral spawn!

What lock were the fish seen in? Maybe there is a reason they are there, and not anywhere else? Less water maybe?

Sinker

This rain will bring the flow up, but it could also bring the water temp up a tad. A degree or two can make all the difference. I'd say its more temp related than flow related though, the fish know where to go to get out of the current.

Keep us posted on your findings. If I had more time I'd be involved in the program as well.

Sinker