Gps Question

bigfish1965

My wife got me a GPS for Christmas. She wanted one I could use both in the car and in the boat. The sales weasel at The Source sold her on the Garmin Street Pilot c530...he told her I could simply download some software and use it in the boat. It is a very nice unit for a car, but is in no way shape or form a unit suitable for a boat. It says right in the manual 'Do not expose to moisture' and doesn't support any of the functions you would need in a boat.

So , unfortunately, I have to return this one and get another. My question to y'all is what GPS offers both excellent marine and auto applications in a colour read-out?

Ya, check radio worlds prices and then check some others. Somehow, I've had some bad vibs from that place lately, either can't get it, they won't sell it to you, or "oh we don't deal with that company". Saturday was the last straw for me, ask for a simple transistor to repair a radio, they have them but won't sell it to me, Ah so I'm supposed to pay them for the repair I can do myself. Not likely. I've had much better service from Durham radio in Whitby.

Rick I have found the best unit for the road is the TOM TOM it is very easy and accurate. I use it daily and it has found 98 percent of the streets. On the water I use a Garmin chartplotter it is a seperate unit. You will find that none of the auto units do the job of GPS and Depthfinder as well as a marine unit. You will spend alittle more but the marine unit is built to take the abuse of jarring and wet locations like a auto unit cant.

Art

since you fish up in the French/Nipp area Rick, if you want charts for those areas make sure they are available for whatever brand you decide on

I recently picked up a Garmin Extex Legend Cx - very nice versatile unit, but its screen size may not be to your liking for car use