Looking for a pick up truck

Roy we have a couple of those running around London and they are amazing. Domestic car manufacturers quality was lost for quite a few years in the 90's it has really rebounded.If you talk to execs they will tell you after you get your quality up to your competitions standards or better it will still take 3-5 years to change public perception. IMHO we all need to try a little harder to buy North American aas much as possible, from our vehicles all the way to the Grocery store.

This was another reason I bought my Honda in Brockville. It was built in Ontario, go figure?

I also forgot to mention that my truck has 40 000 kms on it and has been in the shop only for oil changes. No I do not do it myself, I'd rather spend that time fishing. Yes it has a short bed. I do not carry 8 feet of lumber everyday nor do I carry a sled or motorized bike, so I do not need the long bed. It can easily hold a bike though as the Honda tailgate is built to support that weight.

I have now drivin this other (Ram 1500 quad) truck long enough to get a comparison on gas. It uses twice as much as my Honda. No joke here. It is brutal driving and watching the guage go down. I cannot believe the difference in it.

Don't be scared of the Honda. Just because it's not one of the BIG BOYS doesn't mean it doesn't compare.

This was another reason I bought my Honda in Brockville. It was built in Ontario, go figure?

I also forgot to mention that my truck has 40 000 kms on it and has been in the shop only for oil changes. No I do not do it myself, I'd rather spend that time fishing. Yes it has a short bed. I do not carry 8 feet of lumber everyday nor do I carry a sled or motorized bike, so I do not need the long bed. It can easily hold a bike though as the Honda tailgate is built to support that weight.

I have now drivin this other (Ram 1500 quad) truck long enough to get a comparison on gas. It uses twice as much as my Honda. No joke here. It is brutal driving and watching the guage go down. I cannot believe the difference in it.

Don't be scared of the Honda. Just because it's not one of the BIG BOYS doesn't mean it doesn't compare.

How you can call a Honda Pilot with a quote un-quote pick-up body on it a truck I will never know or be able to understand and of course the fuel milage is better with the Honda it's half the size of the ram and has a mini van engine in it.http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wallbash.gif

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/style_e...lt/wallbash.gif

What makes a truck a truck is how its engineered from the ground up not the fact there's a bed in the back and yes your Honda was built in Orangeville but your money went overseas.

Edited by FUSION

True the money went overseas, but the people who built it live here, the taxes for that building were paid here, thus I still helped the canadian economy.

Yes it is smaller than a Ram on the outside, but there is actually more room on the inside. Just because it is a truck does not mean that it has to be 8 feet in the air and 30 feet long. For the record I do not know the exact measurments so I know I am wrong here. All in all there is not that much difference in size, but there is in consumption.

I will admit the Dodge has a Hemi. Woo hoo, so I can spin my wheels. Really good too. To get out of my driveway the Dodge spins, whereas the Honda crawls right out. Even in 4wd I feel the Honda has a better grab on the road and uses it's smaller power more efficiently. Like I said, I do not hawl big things, nor do I carry big things in the bed, so why would I buy stuff I don't need? I have never felt underpowered in this truck. I also like the fact that I don't need a stool to get into it. Although the dash is not big enough to fit a cowboy hat, but that's ok by me.

Like I said, try it you just might like it.

How you can call a Honda Pilot with a quote un-quote pick-up body on it a truck I will never know or be able to understand and of course the fuel milage is better with the Honda it's half the size of the ram and has a mini van engine in it.http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wallbash.gif

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/style_e...lt/wallbash.gif

What makes a truck a truck is how its engineered from the ground up not the fact there's a bed in the back and yes your Honda was built in Orangeville but your money went overseas.

You've got a really North American based perspective of what constitutes a pick up truck. Monstrous engine, huge box and towering ride height. Engine size is pretty much irevelant; gearing is what counts. Sure a Hemi engine spits out gobs of power and torque. When is the last time you saw anybody using it? Turn on the news, watch what people are driving in Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, South America, Australia, wherever. Small trucks, small dispalcement engines (often diesels) and almost Never American. Good examples of trucks being used as trucks.

Speaking of excessivly powered engines, when is the last time anybody witnessed a real good burnout? You'd figure with all these high powered vehicles rolling off the line these days folks would be laying a little more rubber. Back a few years when I had my fun cars (77 camaro, supra turbo ) I use to peel out all the time. What's wrong with kids today?

Edited by Weeds

You've got a really North American based perspective of what constitutes a pick up truck. Monstrous engine, huge box and towering ride height. Engine size is pretty much irevelant; gearing is what counts. Sure a Hemi engine spits out gobs of power and torque. When is the last time you saw anybody using it? Turn on the news, watch what people are driving in Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, South America, Australia, wherever. Small trucks, small dispalcement engines (often diesels) and almost Never American. Good examples of trucks being used as trucks.

I am sorry, I do not know what perspective you want me to have??? One of whats been getting work done here for the last 50+ years or the one of the worst selling "truck" on the market thats still on a first generation basis...

What you are missing here is that the Ridgeline is NOT A TRUCK, it is a mid-size suv "Pilot" with a different body straped on it and I will tell you the same thing about the Chevy Avalanche as its pretty much a Suburban with a different body straped on.

I don't care if the Ridgeline is manufactured on the moon it is still not a true pick-up truck.

I just can't figure out why supporting what is owned, maufactured, designed and sold here "North America" is frowned upon.

Oh and bye the way, if you like the trucks they are driveing in Afganistan so much feel free to join the Canadian armed forces as I am sure they can arange an upclose look at one for you.

Edited by FUSION

I've owned a number of trucks, I'm now a very satisfied owner of a Honda Ridgeline. Plenty of power to pull my boat, the bed, while small, is large enough to carry a Honda Rancher atv with gate down, plenty of creature comforts, reasonable gas mileage (20 mpg on trips), very low cost maintenance, and great resale. Between my wife and I we have owned 5 Hondas. We have never paid a penny for a replacement part other than tires and brakes. They just don't break. The hidden trunk in the bed is surprisingly big. I love mine.

If you have that money to spend, why even look at Domestics?

Fullsizes are almost all hard on gas, ride like crap, have major issues with drivelines.

Look at the new Duramax GM, the past couple weeks with that cold weather has put

90% of them here at the dealerships for new trannies.

IMHO, if I had the money Id be looking at nothing but Toyota tacomas or Nissan trucks (minus the Titan, it still has some issues)

The only exception would be 95-99 GM fullsized 5.7 trucks\suv (96 for Suburbans)....I see them everyday with 400 000 plus km.

There are many different types of vehicles on the market today. The reason for this is everyone has different ideas and needs for their type of driving. I think the key here is to submit your experiences and respect each others input and make your own decision. Read consumer reports, talk to your mechanic (an independent from the dealer one) as well. There are good and bad points to everything made. None of them are indestructible.

I never had a problem with my GMC's. My new one is a fully loaded 2008 Sierra Z71. It is decent on gas, rides like you've got airbag suspension and at idle you can't even tell it's running. You can get one 2-3 years old for under 30k. I've also got a 95 suburban that never has any issues.

But almost everyone is partial to a make so I say go to each dealership and test drive them all and decide for yourself which is best for you.

This is the funniest thing about Automoble debates...its always personal opinion :rolleyes:

I know people who swear by Volkwagon and Toyota, and Ford, and Chev, and everyone of those brands has lemons, and some real plowhorses as well.

Point and case...

My cousins (2 sisters) bought brand new Sunfires back in 2000 same time, same dealer, cause they got sweet deals on an overstock sale with zero % finances...

Both work close to home, neither travel....the younger sisters car is still mint, in great condition with no issues, while the older sister just scrapped hers...head gasket and a million other issues.

My bro drives a ford F-10 and loves it...he's out i calgary, drove it cross canada...its getting serious use

My buddy had an older Toyota...hated it caused him headaches, and parts costed him a fortune.

Everyones got a story to tell right?

Do your self a favor, test drive a few in your budget range be discriminating, and cross your fingers cause unless your a mechanic and have the time to rip her apart and inspect the whole thing there always and aspect of luck.

Cheers :D

My first truck was a 2001 dodge dakota, it was a nice looking truck but I had problem after problem including a new tranny at 140,000 km's. I have now owned an F-150 for just over a year and not a problem. I am really happy with this truck and you can get some nice 2006's for $25,000 to $27,000.

And if your looking for something different check out blackstock ford as they have dealer authorized off road and street packages for great prices. I got the mojave kit and it looks amazing.

Ryan

I can let you have my 03 seirra 1500 z71 extentended cab 4x4 for 18000 if you want it has 125000 km i really don't have much use for it anymore.

4.8l v-8 fuel tank holds 92 litres of fuel and I average 725 to a tank hwy running about 550-600 pulling a lund or sled trailer

The true test of a truck.Is the fleet truck.

A company truck in which every Tom Dick and Sally drives.

In my trade we get every thing delivered by truck, by many different dealers.

They deliver from light bulbs to 14L diesel engines.

Not one of them use a import.

If engine size is irrelevant? why does the company with the larges stock engine

have the best fuel milage?

One of the reasons that the company's are not using imports is that the big three have big discounts for fleet purchases. When I purchased my Freightliner van for 30,000.oo I had the option to purchase a Ford stretch van for 11,000.00 less with the gas engine. I chose the Freightliner because I wanted to upgrade from the the big three with a diesel and Mercedes technology . If I had 4 or more trucks they would all be the same for ease of repair and parts on hand so I would have gone with the big three for the discount but the market is changing since Dodge is now discounting for fleet Sprinters. Soon Nissan or Toyota will follow then you will see them all over the fleet market.

Art

have a Fx4 crewcab 04 f150, bought new. great towing capacity, ride is good, but.....had the muffler rusted prematurely and replaced, had problem with stalling, stealership keep flashing chip (didnot work) until they agreed to replace the throttle body. Replaced oxygen sensor. Replaced brake disc prematurely due to excessive wear and dust, need driveline lubrication periodically since new, they have bulletin for this work but Ford will not replace driveshaft, stealership couldn't figure out where the noise/clunk is coming from until I provided a bulletin from Ford truck forum. Spoke to their customer service dept. and they promised to call me back, but that was 3.5 years ago, I'm still waiting. I guess I'm stuck with this truck ... my first and last ford. Dealer will take it as a trade-in for 17K, bought new for 45k plus tax. Talk about depreciation. Had a Chev Suburban diesel before this and I am going back ...

My 2000 ford e150 has 375000 k on it right now and does not use oil between changes. I have pulled 3200 lbs with it no problem and it is powered by a v6 .

Hey, why not try to get one of the old trucks from the OPP. They should be well maintained....

My favourite part of the ridgeline is the spare under the bed liner unlike hanging under the bed like the domestics.

Think about it.

Yah, that is exactly were I would want my spare if I got a flat, especially while hauling a load on top of it...http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup_anim.gif

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/style_e...umbsup_anim.gif

Why not have it in the bed liner.

It's not like you are ever going to have 5 sheets of plywood and 15 bundles of

shingles, table saw.tool box and mitre saw on top of it.

I don't have a problem with the imports. It's just that when a company comes

out with one truck and are saying it's the best truck on the market. :blahblah1:

the big three all have five different trucks for every purpose you need from a light truck.

I'm willing to put up my truck against any truck on the market to prove the difference.

It's a 03 GMC 2500hd,4x4,4door,6.6l diesel with 5 Allison.