Not To Keen On THe Taste Of Fish

TOM C

I am supposed to add more fish to my diet, so considering I never ate fish before that shouldnt be to hard to do. I have been trying some and the problem I am having is a lot of fish, TASTE LIKE FISH, Three kinds Ihave eaten that werent too bad are, Orange Ruffy, Basa, and Catfish, if you have eaten much fish you will probally know that all three of these are very mild, are there any more that would taste like the ones I mentioned, and please dont tell me walleye. Oh ya I have eaten Blue gills and Sunfish, but they were deep friedand tasted pretty good, but deep frying is not an option. Thanks

Sole is a very mild fish and can be prepared in many different ways. Perch are also very mild fish, but frying them is the best method.

You may find soaking your fish in milk, in the fridge before preparing them, will remove alot of the fishyness.

HH

Depends on how they are cooked. I baked a laker last winter and it tasted like..... mushy etc. This summer I did them on the BBQ. Flesh side down first and then skin side down. Cook them until the skin gets charred and then it tastes much like BBQ Chicken. Pick something to marinate them when your turn them flesh side up. Mine was a mix of BBQ sauce, soya sauce, margarine and a couple spices. Can't remember...wrote it down at the lake somewhere.

julyn.jpg

If it tasted like FISH then it probably wasn't fresh. Fish that is caught and properly cared for is very light and delicate in flavour. It can be enhansed in a variety of ways, browned butter with lemon and herbs, salmon and trout with lemon and dill..... the list is endless but it shouldn't taste FISHEY even without any of those things. I don't know how many times I've seen guys go fishing for the day, tie a bunch of fish on a stringer, drag it behind the boat in the hot sun and gas and oil, leave it in a bucket over night then clean it and wonder why it tasted FISHEY. Go figure!

If you want fish to eat, catch it fresh, pack it on ice, clean it while it is still fresh and freeze or eat it within a day. Commercial caught fish sits in the hold on a boat untile they have a chance to clean it then it gets shipped to the market untile you buy it and then goes home until you have a chance to cook it. usually 4-10 days after it was caught. That ain't fish!

OK heres one of my favs---kinda healthy (I think)

Marinate fresh salmon or lake trout (or any trout for that matter) in a large bowl of a dash of lemon juice (not killing it though just a splash or two---garlic powder--pepper and liberal; soaking of zesty italian salad dressing.

an afternoon will do it--marinating that is---go to the supermarket and get yourself that cedar plank sold in the meat dept.

Soak it as directed and BBQ your fish on that---hard to beat

Bushart

Try this, but don't use a oily fish...

FISH FILLETS IN TOMATO SAUCE

1onion, sliced into rings

1 green pepper, cut in strips

1 clove garlic, minced (your taste)

1 tbsp. oil

1 (28 oz.) Diced tomatoes, undrained

2 tbsp. dry wine (optional)

1 tsp. dried sweet basil

1 lb. fish fillets

In skillet, saute onion, green pepper, and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes, wine and basil. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and cook uncovered about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place fish in tomato mixture. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Yield: 4 servings; serving size: 1 fillet.

But if you don't like fish, why do you want to eat it? Do they really want you to add fish to your diet or do they want you to cut out something else? There are alternatives.

If the doc told me that I had to add haggis to my diet or die...it would be a difficult choice for me.

ROY try and find an allternative to meat other that soya everthing and fish is a better choice than that, and if you think you eat right do yourself a favor and check out what the heart and stroke folks think about what you eat.

Heres a few facts for all you folks that think your 10ft Tall and bullet proof

By the year 2010, 1 of every 5 adults in Canada will have high blood presure and need medication for this, reason is have a look at the amount of sodium there is in everything you eat, North Americans have by far the largest sodium intake of any countries in the world, so I need to eat more fish.

Take my word for it, I never cared about what I ate or how much I smoked because it couldnt happen to me, but its amazing how when your on a table surrounded by people you have never seen in your life and you cant even tell your wife you love her cus you cant speak, and someone says I hope this works, you will learn to eat fish.

PS if anyone wants a sure fire way to stop smoking I found it, but I dont recommend it,lol

Last you will here me preach about it, but I still dont like the taste of fish

Fish is very healthy but it all depends on how you prepare it. Deepfrying it or covering in a rich cream or butter sauce isn't better than a piece of grilled chicken done with some spices & herbs.

Have you tried sushi? If you go to a good place the fish is excellent quality, tasty, definitely not fishy-tasting or -smelling. Easy to make at home too if you have a place where you can get sushi-grade fish.

Mmm, sushi... :closedeyes:

Mike

Mike makes a good point there...smoothering it in beer batter and deep frying in oil is gonna cancel any positives. As I suggested above for BBQ cooking...there is nothing added to the laker on my BBQ above...other than spraying the double sided fridge grate grill with PAM.

Hey Tom, don't know if you read my post about taking fish oil soft gels containing omega-3, but check it out. Google knows. Don't take my word. Ask your Doc. You shouldn't take anything he/she doesn't approve. You cannot overdose and it gives you no side effects.

Omege-3 does wonders, is inexpensive and does no harm.

Its like Cliff said FRESH fish does not taste fishy and Susi quality fish has to be fresh never frozen .Hard to get FRESH fish in some places . Go to St lawerence market and places like that . All fish I get (I eat fish 5-6 days a week, many differ kinds )from the market I get the guy I deal with to cut A little piece and taste it raw first before I buy , never had to cover it in sause (tho sometimes the right sauce is good) FRESH is important NOT so much KInd . If I cant eat it raw why would I try to cook it and think I can make it taste any less fishy ,old ,frozen, poorly handled fish TASTE FISHY . I say again FRESH properly handled fish does not taste FISHY ... This is a family formum so I will not make the example I wanted but If it smells like fish it tastes like FISH if it smells like a summer day , all clean and fresh IT tastes LIKE chicken if you get my meaning lol ...

Edited by capt bruce

By the way, Tom, we're members of the same fraternity. August 14, 2001 my "Widow Maker" artery was 100% blocked, but the rest were 100% clear. That was some sort of freak bit of plumbing. Fortunately an amount of blood learned to bypass the blockage and kept me going. Luckily I had very little heart damage. 6 weeks to the hour I was dismissed from the hospital, I was sitting in a boat on Little Vermilion Lake picking up a dinner of walleyes.

My family doc and cardiologist put me on fish oil (omega-3) and told me to take plenty. My next blood profile was so good that they both started taking 6 soft gels a day and they prescribe it to their patients. I've had my six today. Also stretched, rode my recumbent bike and worked with weights.

Zocor was keeping my blood profile in great shape, but was causing my joints and muscles to really hurt. I took myself off Zocor and Doc put me on a new cholesterol medicine, but my early January blood work showed bad numbers. We're doubling the dosage and I'm working hard (hopefully smart) to drop some weight, workout, and get my numbers back where they were.

Zocor is a great medicine for most people, but it was taking me down. Was on it over 7 years. If I do what's right I may go back to Zocor, if necessary, and cut the dosage in half.

Good luck to you Tom and I'd like to hear that you're back to fishing in a few weeks.