Ideal Aluminum Fishing Boat

krawler

With all this warm weather and no ice ive been thinking more and more as to which aluminum boat to buy. I will be visiting the boat show but would like some of your opinions first. Ideally i want a welded hull but the price is a bit steep for me. It will be a tiller model, 16-17 ft, 50-75hp, wide beam and deep V hull for stability in rough conditions, preferrably flat bottom floor (carpet optional). Any thoughts/recommendations? Ideally i want a Stanley but the price may be too high.

thanks

You didn't say what your budget was. There are many opinions on the welded vs rivetted hull question, some have valid rationale, some just personal preference.

Personally, probably the best bit of advice that I can give you is do your homework first. The manufacturers sites, sites such as OFC, owners clubs.

Once you establish a budget, stick with it.

The boat show is an awesome place to get the juices flowing, but it's also an easy place to get caught up in the shine and glitz and fall prey to our impulsive sides where our brains fall into our shorts! No doubt it can be a place to save anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand, but make sure you are in control by going with a plan in mind.

If it's a welded hull your interested in, have a look at the Crestliners.

Mines an SC model and it's an excellent boat, but Fishdawg has a tiller model and I know he's very happy with his. Might be a good place to start.

Have to agree with Lew on the Crestliner. Seen a lot of aluminum boats over the years and most that have owned and used a Crestliner really like them. But keep your options open. There are lots of different makes and models made for a reason. Think carefully what it will be used for most of the time. Keep in mind larger boats are also more to look after. Storage and maintainence are things that people seem to forget about when purchasing a new watercraft.Just a couple things to keep in mind. Happy boat hunting!

The Boat show would be the Ideal place to shop.I have an 18 foot aluminium with a 50hp 4 stroke I would have liked to have a 60hp but Honda does not make one .What ever boat you select choose the maximum horse power recommended for the boat whether you go 2 stroke or 4 stroke fuel economy on both technologies have improved no need to worry about having a thirsty gas guzzler in the 50 to 75 hp range.Power trim is a must.Lund has a new technologie called the IPS hull it channels water through both sides of the hull for stability and improved fuel economy.My boat has a flat bottom so it tends to push more water .I have been on a couple of boats with this new technologie and it really impressed me.Not sure if other companies have the same technologie.These days The Brunswick boat company owns almost all the makes Prince craft,Lowe .Crestliners and Lunds are built by the same devision Genmar.Always find out what the warranty covers and how long the aluminium boat is guaranteed for.Some boats are only guaranteed for 10years and some have limited life time warranties.Some double rivited and some single rivited.Livewells offer more options like deviders and a place to store the minnow bucket.Check out the transom on some of the boats some models have thick ones built very strong and some you will see the difference.Alot of the new fish finders have a built in Gps something I wish I would have considered.Although I love my Honda I find they all seem to troll too fast once you go over 50hp kicker motor required to troll.I was in a Lund this november the owner had a new Mercury 60hp I have never seen such a large motor troll so slowly.

As for carpet I myself never want another boat with carpet.Fish being brought in slimy pike stuck to the carpet not to mention the blood mess if you catch a large specimen.I have spent too many hours in the past using the shop vac to suck out unwanted dirt blood and slime.And there are the lures .lures and carpet do not go hand in hand.Treble hooks are a pain in the a$$ to get out.And my favorite is when dear old dad drops the whole worm container up side down on to your nice carpet.Shop vac again.Some of the new boats come with removable snap in carpet.The only reason I see someone with a carpet in a fishing boat is someone who would be barefoot alot.And this would make more sence in a fish and ski boat not a tiller boat.When I wash my floor with no carpet I just pull the plug take out the brush attached to the hose and presto all the crud washes off easily .And yes no more shop vac.

Good luck with your purchase let us know what you buy.

For me it will only be a Lund for the rest of my life.Very Very satisfied.

Mike the Pike :Gonefishing:

When I was looking for a new ride I had it pretty much narrowed down to an Alumacraft or Crestliner, but I was looking for a single console boat. Both seemed to be well made and had a good selection of features, they all do now. Better to spend a little extra now than decide later you need more, get the biggest motor you can.

Guest Trophymuskie

As mentioned before Crestliner has a welded hull with a lifetime guarantee. It's price at the high end of boats but so are Lunds but you get what you pay for.

Most boats today are built pretty well for the average fishermans needs, I agree about not getteing carpet because of the blood, slime and the pain in butt of hooks getting stuck in it. Try to get the non-slip vinyl flooring if you can.And whatever boat you get, ENJOY!

I would take a look at the Starcrafts. I don't see them mentioned as often but everyone I know who as owned one even ones that are now 20 and 25 years old have been very happy with them. They also have ones that don't have all the bells and whistles but are alot more reasonably priced like the d-star dlx models. I don't think they are making them for 2007 but I'm sure there still a bunch of 2006's around.

And I would agree with the vinyl flooring I put it in when I redid the floor on my little 14' aluminum and would never go back to carpet. I was worried about how it would hold up but it has been 3 years and it still looks like new. If you have a dog that sheds alot you will really appreciate it.