Another pet's knee surgery

Rich Clemens

I've been following Rick's post about Jack and the undergoing of reconstructive knee surgery as my own little girl was facing the same thing. Bright and early this morning we're out the door and, as always, she is so enthusiastic when it comes time to "GO". A little over an hour away to the Animal Hospital to a surgeon who comes highly recommended by our home-town vet.

Everyone there was great and even spent a fair amount of time with the surgeon going over all the options and pro/con of each. In a nutshell, they will be cutting off the part of the lower leg bone where the ligament that is attached to the knee cap - attaches to the lower leg bone. With this piece removed and the ligament still attached, the surgeon will build that area up with a 'cage' of material, then re-attach the removed section of bone. The ligament stays intact and bone/extra material will grow together.

When we called late this afternoon, the surgeon says the surgery went very well and we can expect about 6 weeks or so of recovery. As long as everything heals properly, she should be back to normal. She'll be 8 years old this June and according the the X-rays, her hips show only mild changes ... so it's great to hear that her hips and overall health is real good. Stop by Cabin 5 in June and say hello.

I can certainly understand Rick's anxiety leading up to that day. It sure is not the same around here this evening, without Nikita being here. It just SUCKS :( This is actually the first time she has ever been away from home ... alone. I'll be picking her up late tomorrow afternoon and then it will be a big challenge to keep her quiet and not jumping around.

Here she is ... at Christmas and can't wait to get her back home :clapping:

gallery_296_59_15888.jpg

Edited by Rich Clemens

Hey Rich;

Glad you could get the TPLO surgery. It does appear to be the best option around. Unfortunately my pup had torn 3 of the four ligaments and couldn't have that done.

The TPLO has an amazing success rate.

Hope she's home quick. Jack's been home two weeks and I'm starting to have a hard time slowing him down.

Just brought her home and she's taking it easy. This was her first time being away from home .. alone. So, I'm guessing this added a bit of stress to her. I had a little over an hour ride home with her tonite and she cried the entire way home. I'm not sure if it was from pain or that snowcone they had around her head. That drove her nuts the entire trip. Now that she is home and under watch, we removed the cone and she seems to be calming down a bit. Get her rested up, perform daily therapy, keep the pain meds and antibiotics going, and she'll come around just fine. Just dang glad to have her back home.

Thanks for all the well-wishes. She sends a lick to all.

Glad to see your little girl's back home where she belongs and the surgery went well. She'll do better now that she's home with her loved ones around her. She's a real cutie! Best wishes for a speedy & thorough recovery for her!!! :thumbsup_anim:

DebS

Just brought her home and she's taking it easy. This was her first time being away from home .. alone. So, I'm guessing this added a bit of stress to her. I had a little over an hour ride home with her tonite and she cried the entire way home. I'm not sure if it was from pain or that snowcone they had around her head. That drove her nuts the entire trip.

Man, doesnt that just break your heart. Glad to hear things went well Rich.