Computer died (NF)

bigfish1965

Most of my frinds and clients come here from time to time, so just letting y'all know I fried my main computer today. I knew it was coming cause the HD kept acting up, so most stuff was backed up. Will be a few days before I have everything up and running again. working from the laptop now so i can work on existing sites, but all my goodies for making new sites is toasted for now. Computer is going in for recovery and HD replacement tonite. At least i got three years out of this one :)

Toshiba announced today that they will begin selling a 500gig external drive that would do a nice job of backing up most peoples systems! Rick, is your HD still under warranty? If your not aware, it could be something worth checking out... save a few bucks.

HH

I feel your pain..well maybe not quite

my desktop CPU died , 2 years and one month old and I can't get the part form the company that made them, or from the place I bought it from

got a place in the states sending me one.....it's stuck at the border..seems they don't want it in the country or something..still trying to figure out what is going on

but I just don't want to buy a whole new computer yet

Oooh that's a major pain in the arse. My sympathies to you Rick, or anyone who has had to go through with it. It's like tossing a photo album in the fire, you won't get em back!

What about a partition?? I've still yet to figure it out... I'm running on Vista Home Basic and had the blue screen of death the other day because I had turned off my computer accidentatly while symantec updates were being made.

I was able to retrieve pictures that I had saved since my last back up, but everything else was lost!

Do I need an IT background to do this? I'm told it's pretty simple.

cheers

HD

Hi, I just bought a 500G external drive, it was around $149 at Future Shop. It works just like a flash drive (memory stick) only you can set it to back up your hard drive at set times. Plugs right into the USB port....works excellent so far.

we had a power outage the other day and I hooked up my UPS to the sump pump and just plugged the PC into the wall (dummy) and the power came on and off 4 times within a few seconds sending enough spikes to corrupt my entire systems32 folder. Told that a reformat should get me back. Hope so cause repair failed.

If I right click on "My Computer" and look up Properties, and see that my Pc has 256 MB of RAM, what do I require as a back-up solution?

Hi, Clampet, Future Shop also had a 250G unit for around $100. That is all you need. I just recently upgraded to a faster computer and it has a 500G HD that's why I bought the 500G ext-drive. I will probably never fill it. My last computer had two 40G hd's and I was no where close to filling them.

Mine started to act up a couple of months ago, I opened it up and found a layer of dust all over my CPU (Vaccuum cleaners should work so well) so I took the Vaccuum and a soft brush and cleaned it and it has been working perfectly ever since. I guess the CPU was just overheating, fortunatly it doesn't seem like there was any perminant damage.