My auger wont start ??

FISHINGNUT

Ok got everything packed and ready to go for my trip Saturday morning filled the auger with gas and figured better start it and make sure its running good before loading it into the truck.Pull pull pull then it fires for about 5 sec and dies. :wallbash: I bought it used in Oct and it ran then .I put a brand new plug in and no spark.I pulled off the cover and cleaned all the conections the selonoind was really badly rusted put everything back together and still no spark.Its an older Eskimo 49cc model and I didnt get an owners manual with.I dont really want to take it to a small engine repair place I probably wont see it for weeks and I am on holidays next week and was really hoping to hit the ice .Any one got any suggestions does a bad selonoid make sense if there is no spark.Oh and by the way YES the on switch is ON

Edited by FISHINGNUT

does a bad selonoid make sense if there is no spark.

Is it electric start? Why is there a solenoid?

Disconnect the kill switch and see if you get spark. Then check the entire plug boot and wire for cracks or damage. If nothing visible, then disconnect and check for continuity. Clean all the grounding points and make sure everything is making good contact.

Edited by boatman

Is it electric start? Why is there a solenoid?

I was going to let that slide,but ....LOL I was wondering if it was electric start...

if it tried to start with the old plug, I would try the old plug again, not the first time I have found new plugs that are dead

Ok I am not very good with this stuff I assumed it was a selonoid :dunno: I added a picture it has a green wire conected to the on off switch and the plug wire.It was badly rusted what ever it is?

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/JamieJen/DSC01028.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/JamieJen/DSC01026.jpg

Well you've already bought the new coil by now so all I'll add is to make sure you clean all the contact points VERY well when you install the new one. Those coils don't usually fail. The problem is usually caused by bad contacts due to corrosion.

Good Luck

Mods lock this one up... these guys have brought themselves to the point where they think Dodge products are beyond average.. they are truly fooling themselves.. I will drop them my number and when their head gaskets implode I will be more then happy to offer them a lift home in my Ford..

Really they are just embarrassing themselves.. lock it up and quick!

I have spent some time in a Dodge truck.. it was memorable.. except it is not the truck I am reminiscing about...

G.

Mods lock this one up... these guys have brought themselves to the point where they think Dodge products are beyond average.. they are truly fooling themselves.. I will drop them my number and when their head gaskets implode I will be more then happy to offer them a lift home in my Ford..

Really they are just embarrassing themselves.. lock it up and quick!

I have spent some time in a Dodge truck.. it was memorable.. except it is not the truck I am reminiscing about...

G.

Im on yerside G. Silly boys and thier TOYS. :thumbsup_anim:

I might add, that a manual never has this problem. :P:lol:

Edited by misfish

I like my hand auger too......but when we get 18 inches of ice, and you need a hundred holes to locate perch.......have fun drilling while I'm fishing :)

Hand auger is great until there is a foot of ice.........after that it gets to be work.

Sinker

Well, first of all, I really doubt it is your coil, as previously said, they don't fail very often, if you can get it up to me I can test that in about 20 seconds. Did you take your old one off to clean it? If so, what did you set the gap between the coil and flywheel to? It is really important that it be set properly. Before you go spending any money on parts make sure your compression is good on it otherwise you'll just be spending money for nothing. Again, if you can get it up to me, I'll be able to tell you if it is worth fixing or not.

No I havnt checked the compression but it was running decent just last weekend.I made sure the gap was good on the plug .03 and the gap for the coil at .0125 the switch is good and the plug is getting fuel so I would have to assume it is the coil.Thanks for the offer Big Cliff If I cant find some one local I will definatley give you a ring