It happens every year

keram

Police searching for man who fell through ice near Stonecliffe

An Ontario Provincial Police dive team is searching an isolated lake in eastern Ontario after three men fell through the ice early Sunday.

Two of the men were rescued and were taken to hospital in Deep River, where they are recovering from exposure.

A third man is still missing.

The men were icefishing near Stonecliffe, about 250 kilometres west of Ottawa.

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=812400

Edited by keram

that last time everyone started saying someone was an idiot for going out in terrible conditions ..it turned out to be a friend of some people on this board

and they tried to make the people giving comment bad about stating the truth......

so I will not call the guy an idiot..even if they were

being on sleds changes it all. There is definitely ice worthy of fishing on in parts of Ont. I've seen reports on this board and others of ppl ice fishing on 5" of black ice. I would have no safety issues going out on 5" of good ice. Of course I'd be wearing a floater suit and have my picks in my pocket. Just because the ice is early this year doesn't mean it's all unsafe. First ice is first ice if it's early december or the middle of january. You always have to take precautions no matter what time of year it is if you decide to go out on the ice. Also, just because you're standing on 5" of ice doesnt' mean there is 5" of ice everywhere. Last year on Nipissing I drilled through 12" of ice, walked 30 feet and drilled through 4".

Well i dont know why they wouldnt wait a few weeks,is it wort risking your life,and putting your family through all the greif...just to get a fish !!!!...NO ITS NOT WORTH IT...ive been out on the ice for most of my life,and about 10yrs ago my bud and me were on lake scugog,when that day 4 people drown in less than 24 hrs we were right there when they pulled out 2 of the bodies,and if you seen what we did,and the look on their faces you would be shocked...so im for sure a little more careful than i used to be,i have fallen through 2 times,and will not be out again on a few inches like i used to...but it will always happen,people just cant wait a few weeks its too bad,sorry to hear the bad news

Everyone has their scary ice stories. The difference between "natural selection at it's finest" and a scary story that you learned from, is if you died or not. Some people got lucky and learned from a near miss and some people do not get that chance. The man who went through the ice in Stonecliffe, was most likely like you or me, someone who enjoys fishing obviously, the outdoors, probably a real solid and decent human being.

Well said Grimace. As kids we use to dare each other to see who could touch open water on the Rideau.. right below the towns main locks. Thank god we all survived doing it...as if you went in it was 2 miles of ice to the next lock/rapids before you wuz comin up. Anyone that has seen the current going by the Mariners Inn in SFalls knows what I'm talkin about.

Condolences to his family.

Fast moving snowmobiles or any vehicle are hard on weak ice. They create pressure waves in the water under the ice which can blow the ice apart if conditions are right.

It was an accident, I dont think "natural selection at its finest" is an appropriate comment at this point in time.

Edited by Riparian