Fishing Superstitions/rituals

Bly

I was just wondering if anyone on the board has any superstitions or rituals that you go through either before or while you are fishing? Or anything about your gear?

The reason I ask is that I have a inexpensive Canadian Tire rod/reel combo (it’s my only fishing rod)…paid around 35 bucks for the thing. I’ve caught lots of Walleye on it this fall….including my PB 15 pounder! To make a long story short, the reel is pretty much shot and it’s still under warranty, so I was going to take it back to the store and get a new combo. When some of my friends found out they said “NOOO...KEEP THE ROD….JUST SWITCH OUT THE REEL!!!!” I never really thought about the “lucky” rod until they mentioned it.

Also, if I ever pull in someone else’s tackle (and that has happened a few times this year), I don't use it. I believe there is some kind of left over karma, because when I’ve put it on my own line, it’s gone again after a few casts!!!

Post your superstitions and rituals….could make for an interesting thread!

I don't have any superstitions/rituals

well I do have one..I have to put a plug in the back of the boat

everytime I don't bad things happen

and bad things have happened more times then I care to say

You have a hole in your boat? A plug seems like a necessity then.....haha. :D

I can see why bad things would happen....hehe

Too funny Terry, I actually follow the same ritual and have been cursed many times as well when you don't do it.

Blyght, why would you return the reel when a 15 pounder stripped the gears. That reel should be kept and mounted as a souvenir!!

I believe if you get rid of the reel your karma will go south!

Dang!

I was going to start the exact thread!!

Yeah, I told Highdrifter a while ago that I have to put down my backpack while shore fishing.

Having it on tells the fish God Neptune that you are arrogant and impatient.

Neptune rewards the Zen angler.

Ccmt and I used to have "net trouble", only caught anything when we left the thing in the car or at home :D

bpsbassman...

Never really thought about keeping the reel as a souvenir, I will have to give that some thought and I certianly don't want my karma going south!

blyght

Okay, so there's this Metro tow truck, used for towing big rigs, if we see it at any point during the day we don't go fishing... if we're fishng already, we pack up and head home, if we're on the way to our fishing spot we turn around and go home... seen it numerous times while planning on fishing that day and have NEVER caught a single fish when we did

Great thread Blyght....

and a long overdue CONGRATS on your PB this year :worthy:

Superstitions..... :dunno: ....not really

But I have found Ive become increasingly nervous about going fishing with Mark, (fishdawg).

The guy always out fishes me...and even more..

any place Ive brought him to...neither one of us catch a thing.

Maybe I'll wear a backpack or bring my childhood reel with me this year on the ice for whities :unsure:

Never catch a fish on the first cast.....it will also be your last

Never take out the net or pliers until a fish is hooked...

Always honk your car horn at the exact same spot on the trip to the fishing spot

If you have a great day of fishing and you go the next day ,you Better wear the same underwear....

Never brag to your fishing partner if your having a good day,cause the tide WILL turn......

Great thread Blyght....

and a long overdue CONGRATS on your PB this year :worthy:

Superstitions..... :dunno: ....not really

But I have found Ive become increasingly nervous about going fishing with Mark, (fishdawg).

The guy always out fishes me...and even more..

any place Ive brought him to...neither one of us catch a thing.

Maybe I'll wear a backpack or bring my childhood reel with me this year on the ice for whities :unsure:

ok fine Pete, next time we're trolling & we're changing baits, you reel 'em in & pick up the "drowning presents" ok? ;)