Side Boat Guides

icefisherman

Is installing pair of side boat guides on my roller trailer a good idea?

Any suggestions on available brand names, lengths, prices, etc?

Should I go for the bunk horizontal style or the vertical roller guide-ons style?

Where can I get a pair of good ones?

These will be installed on Spartan roller trailer with 17' Lund on it.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

If you do it...just be sure you have about an inch of clearance on each side between guides and boat freeboard. Lund had mine tight when they shipped it and it burnt the paint off delivering it to Temagami.

Does the burnt paint make it go slower or catch less fish?

I have the side bunks on mine with about 2" clearance on each side, and I always back the trailer far enough into the water to wet them. Then I pull up the ramp so they are both out of the water before trailering my boat. I've never used the roller type, but think they might be a little better.

To me, side guides are very handy and I wouldn't think of leaving home without them! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Greencoachdog

I am also looking at a set of side guides.. especially for when I am loading it up myself.. I found loading up @ Quinte this year a bit of a pain do to the wind blowing me off my line onto the trailer.. Side guides would help alleviate this and centre the boat for me.

G

Emil, try launching and loading before you make any changes. With your roller trailer you may find that you don't need them.

-Brian

Brian,

hope you are right as I am afraid I may hit the boat into the trailer fenders....how about a written invitation to come with me for the first test run on lake O. as early as weather permits and early enough so I can install them if I decide I need them?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Most of the roller trailers I've seen are self centering.......yours prolly is too.

I don't have guides on my trailer, but my boat is easy to get on/off. The biggest thing I see is guys putting the trailer too far in the water.........I like the nose of my boat to hit the center roller between the bunks on my trailer......then I just winch it on slowly. It takes a few trial runs to see how the trailer is going to work best. Practice makes perfect.

Sinker

I've seen some people "drive" the boat on to the trailer...have never done so with my old boat...is there any secret routine about doing so....?

Will this be an option with the Lund and the roller trailer...maybe the first time I'll need some one watching me not to drive it into the fenders....

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Don't back the trailer in far enough that it can get over the fenders. Just put it in deep enough that it will drive in between the rollers, but not over them. Once you find the sweet spot......take note of how deep the water is on your wheels......and keep that depth for next time you load up.

It can't be that hard to get on the trailer.......just don't put the trailer in too deep!

Sinker

I've seen some people "drive" the boat on to the trailer...have never done so with my old boat...is there any secret routine about doing so....?

They are doing it on bunk trailers Emil. It can be done with rollers..but you'd better be dead slow..then you have to leave it in gear while you hook the winch strap to the bow...or it will roll back off.

Edited by irishfield

you hook the winch strap to the bow...or it will roll back off.

This is also something to keep in mind when launching your boat from a roller trailer.

On a bunk trailer, you can unhook the strap and safety chain then back it straight into the water till it floats free of the trailer, but if your boat it sitting on rollers, you need to keep it firmly attached to the trailer until it's pretty well in the water.

If you unhook it at the top of the ramp, specially a steep one, there's every possibility it'll slide off the trailer and land on the concrete as your getting back into your truck.

You were probably already aware of this, but I've seen it happen before to those who used a roller trailer for the 1st time when they were used to a bunk.

This is also something to keep in mind when launching your boat from a roller trailer.

On a bunk trailer, you can unhook the strap and safety chain then back it straight into the water till it floats free of the trailer, but if your boat it sitting on rollers, you need to keep it firmly attached to the trailer until it's pretty well in the water.

If you unhook it at the top of the ramp, specially a steep one, there's every possibility it'll slide off the trailer and land on the concrete as your getting back into your truck.

You were probably already aware of this, but I've seen it happen before to those who used a roller trailer for the 1st time when they were used to a bunk.

Good point Lew. This is exactly my case scenario.

I've had bunk trailer before so the roller is all news to me...you've made good point I should keep in mind.

I used to unhook it completely and just keep a long rope attached to the handle so boat doesn't go to far while getting out of the truck.

Right when I learn my last trailer tricks ...I sold it...now have to learn it all over again with the rollers. :wallbash:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

have you considered putting bunks on your trailer instead of rollers? I've had both and prefer bunks, I find it easier to load on bunks when I am by myself and offloading is easier.

Infact I've consider replacing the rollers with bunks but will probably try them few times just to get an idea how I feel about them and be able to compare with the bunks I am used to.

What will I be looking for as cost to replace rollers with bunks?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I look at it in more of a physics way, a dozen rollers tend to act more like pressure points on the hull while the boat is on the trailer compared to a couple of bunks on each side. Bunks spread the load out over a much greater area. Sort of the same reasoning as snowshoes, just upside down.