Boat rivet repairs

Fisherpete

Well, after days of being passed from CSR to supervisor to another CSR etc, Tracker Marine has decided that they will not be honoring the 5 year warranty on my 2006 Tracker 16' Deep-V Guide riveted boat. There is an entire row of rivets from the front of the boat to the back that began leaking this summer, I never hit anything or did anything that would have caused this. I bought the boat (used) in May, and because I didn't call them within 60 days to transfer the warranty to a new name (I didn't know you had to do this), they now refuse to honour the warranty. Policy is policy I suppose, but in order to keep a good customer (ask my wife how much I spend there!) sometimes the rules should be bent a bit... I have to say, this is the first time that BPS/Tracker have let me down, they have been pretty amazing about anything else in the past. However, this does leave a VERY sour taste in my mouth and I will definately hestitate to look at a Tracker when the day comes that I will buy a bigger boat.

I know a few of you on the board work at BPS here in Toronto (Vaughn), maybe you can help by speaking to someone? I doubt it will make a difference, but if you think it would, I would really appreciate it. You can message me here on the board if you need my full information for them. I was dealing with Jill Salkeld in the Tracker Marine Department.

That being said, in the event that they do not help me out, I am looking for help... does anyone on the board know of a place that does this type of repair? Any idea what type of ballpark cost it might be to repair the rivets? I hear there are ways to fix it yourself, like to hold a mallet on one side, hammer the other, etc, but bottom line is I want it done right. Getting a 5 gallon pail of water in the bottom of the boat during a days fishing is a real pain in the butt.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Edited by Fisherpete

no offense.... get this out on various consumer blogs etc... Consumerist comes to mind..Google it..

If that does not work perhaps a simple letter of intention from a lawyer might get their attention...

I wish you the best of luck!

Gerritt

PS... I will try and get you some email addresses of executives....

Edited by Gerritt

[email protected] or [email protected] <--President Tracker Marine Group

[email protected] or [email protected] <-- not sure of her roll (UPDATED...Publicity Manger) PR Contact: Amy McDonald ¤ 2500 E. Kearney ¤ Springfield, MO 65803 ¤ (417) 873-5900

[email protected] <---VP marketing

[email protected]<--Vice President of Materials and Logistics at Tracker Marine Group

hopefully these will get you somewhere...Google is your friend ;)

Gerritt.

here are a few more links.. Some interesting... :)

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/boats/tracker.html

http://sec.edgar-online.com/2004/02/02/000...1/Section18.asp <---lists more shareholders... :)

http://www.zoominfo.com/Search/PersonDetai...rsonID=85383727

Again Good luck

Edited by Gerritt

Did you purchase the boat from BPS?

Was warranty implied?

If so, they should have transfered the warranty for you or at the very least made you aware of it.

If you purchased the boat elsewhere you should keep BPS out of the blame equation because I suspect they are not making warranty decisions and are just an agent for the manufacturer.

No matter how you look at it, it still sucks but I wouldn't give up on it.

Wouldn't it be nice to have the time and money to tell Tracker that you just reserved a spot at the boat show beside thier booth and you intend to have your damaged Tracker on display?

-Brian

We have a lot of pull right here on OFC. Because of your post, I'll never buy a Tracker product. You've been denied some serious warranty work because of a technicality. Let's all get on board, voice our displeasure, declare that we'll never buy a Tracker product because of this silly misunderstanding, and then let the folks at Tracker have a look at this thread. I'm on your side Fisherpete.

C'mon guys and gals. Voice your displeasure with Tracker Marine and help Pete out. Let's see if we can get some results here.

Interesting, and maybe Tracker can explain that maybe rivets hold up longer and won't leak if you run right out there and change the owners name. More likely they would have taken it in for the whole summer and maybe lent you a raft as a replacement. No tracker for me, thanks.

Pete... are all the rivets that are leaking easily accessible on the inside?

If so..If Tracker won't stand up and honour their warrantee on their "great" boats...then bring it up to me and the two of us can fix it. I'll make the same offer I have to others.... my time x shop rate = a donation to the cancer society by you.

Not the first time I have heard this story of the Tracker line of boats.

Looks like the warranty offered on used cars by aftermarket companys. Any excuse they can find will void the warranty it seems. I refuse to deal with used car warranties in my shop anymore and recommend to my customers not to purchase. The extended warranties offered by the car manufacturers seem to be OK.

Thats a very good offer of your services Wayne.

Edited by Bernie

We have a lot of pull right here on OFC. Because of your post, I'll never buy a Tracker product. You've been denied some serious warranty work because of a technicality. Let's all get on board, voice our displeasure, declare that we'll never buy a Tracker product because of this silly misunderstanding, and then let the folks at Tracker have a look at this thread. I'm on your side Fisherpete.

C'mon guys and gals. Voice your displeasure with Tracker Marine and help Pete out. Let's see if we can get some results here.

I agree this is 100% bullpoop I will not buy or suggest anybody I know to buy one,IF IT where mine id drag it to Bass Pro park it out front near the doors on a nice busy day and show EVERYONE what type of boats there selling and standing behind,dont imagine it will be long your boat will be in the service bay

Edited by 2 Tone Z71

Ya, drag that piece of poop in front of the main doors at BPS on a Saturday morning, and fill er up with water, watching the fountain pour out of your faulty seam. Add a big sign saying 'Tracker DeepV 2006'.

'Nuff said.

I agree this is 100% bullpoop I will not buy or suggest anybody I know to buy one,IF IT where mine id drag it to Bass Pro park it out front near the doors on a nice busy day and show EVERYONE what type of boats there selling and standing behind,dont imagine it will be long your boat will be in the service bay

Or him being charged with trespassing... this is not the correct thing to do... (what the heck am I saying I would be there screaming bloody murder)

But no... this is not the right thing to do..

Get your plight out there get it googled... get it resolved.. I will personally email the addresses I posted above.... stating the obvious...

Too many people eiher are registered member or lurkers of OFC for them to turn a blind eye to this...

Tracker... Take care of this guy would you??

PS.. For the google spiders...

TRACKER BOATS TRACKER BOATS TRACKER BOATS TRACKER BOATS

There... that should be added to their google hits :)

Wow, you guys are amazing! Wayne - if Tracker does not come thru, I would love to take you up on your offer. I think most if not all the leaking rivets are accesible from the inside. First I will try to email some of the names of the Tracker execs that Gerritt posted, and see where it gets me. I did buy the boat used, in a private sale, not from BPS directly (It was just over a year old), and it WAS my mistake for not knowing to call and change the warranty over, but regardless, a well-taken care of boat that is two years old should NOT leak like a sieve. I do have ALL the original paperwork to prove when the boat was bought from them. Thanks to all of you for your input, I will keep you updated!

This is the rough area where the rivets are leaking.

TUGV16OH0205_OH_07_500.jpg

Edited by Fisherpete

A 30 year old springbok car topper don't leak like that... after being pounded on Huron for over three decades!

Can't believe for the minimal work required to reset a row of rivets that they're willing to lose thousands in business over it. All leakers being in one row suggest nothing but poorly trained worker / equipment malfunction / or general lack of regard for ones work.

Strangehow they all seem to be along one row. Maybe the worker put in the wrong/weaker rivets. Don't they use weaker ones for certain areas? I know the aluminum is thicker on floors than the sides... so maybe the rivets just need replaced with the proper strength ones. Resetting crappy rivets will not solve the problem as well as new rivets. Just my opinion. Good luck with it! Wayne will fix you up properly. Generous offer too by the way Wayne!

I agree with him going to BPS on a Saturday and filling the boat with water.... It is a PUBLIC PARKING LOT I don't see how they would dare to charge him with tresspassing. All he would have to do is go into BPS first buy the cheapest item then sell have the receipt and then he is a shopper fully entitled to park there..... If it just so happens that he is right across from the doors 10 minutes after they open and finds out his boat is STILL LEAKING and not being fixed what can BPS say? How do they explain that one on the 6 o'clock news, we arrested a guy for checking to see if his boat leaked before he headed out to put it in the water.....

I too would never consider buying a tracker after hearing this. This kind of warranty flimflam might be acceptable in whatever state BPS calls home but in Ontario I thought we had laws to protect consumers from greedy companies like this...

Edited by Canuck2fan

Ask the guy you bought it from to null the sale then buy it back (all for $1.00) then transfer the warranty and start all over again.Since they say it wasn't transfered, it must still be valid in the previous owners name. There's no way for tracker to know when you bought the bought in a private sale.

What seems to get really lost in all of this is that It's not the fault of B.P.S And no i do work for them, It is Tracker marine, do you have the paper work on the boat and warranties info, if so you neglected to read them putting yourself at fault not tracker marine, all means i am not supporting tracker marine, i bought my pro-guide in 05 Unseen ,salesman told me it was a showroom model o4 mint, o.k saved $3500, Went there signed papers, they took me out to give me my boat and man it was trashed 65% of the decal scratched or rubbed off paint patches missing on the bottom of the hull and several guages as well,( boat apparently had been used at the ontario place boat show unknown to me) needless to say i was unpleased and did not want the boat , service manager came out said if i took the boat they would fix everything, paint decals and anything else i found, and i had him put it in writing. Took the boat back at end o 05 season they painted the boat (very nice job) And redecaled it (terrible job) in the end i had the manager of tracker drive to my house and deliver personally a full decal kit and was allowed to have them put on by a company of my choice payed for by tracker marine.Needless to say this took from dec 05 to may 06 to get done, lots of headaches but they did honor what they said they would do. inthe end the repairs costed them $4000, what did they really save , nothing. Bottom line you will find everyone has something bad to say about one boat company or other, i suggest if you have the warranty transfer paper or card , back date it, send it out, wait till you receive comfirmation and then go after the warranty work. The guy they have to repair these boats is in barry, personally i could not take anything to this guy, i am guessing you spoke with John Milller at tracker marine?

He stands behind his word, i can personally say that, but threats will get you nowares with this guy, trust me it only prolonged my repairs,I know these things can be frustrating,but they do have procedures like everyone else, if you don't have the warrannty form i have mine in my hand as we speak p.m and i'll send it to you.Look at it this way if ya send it out and it comes back sometime early in the new year, they still have lots of time to get you fixed up before fishing season, Again i,m not praising tracker marine just expressing my experience with them, but you can bet for sure my next boat will not be a tracker,

.... It is a PUBLIC PARKING LOT I don't see how they would dare to charge him with tresspassing.

It is not a public parking lot, it is private! I have been charged before (not at vaughan mills) for something similiar. In the end I took the charge to court and beat it, either way it is only a ticket for like $125. Could still be worth the attention you will draw, I would do it!

Why would ya want to do this there? He never purchased the boat from there.You might just aswell take it to Dewidt Honda in SToney Creek and do it there as well, they sell tracker boats, everybosy is missing the big picture here, tracker marine is in Missuri, the boat was a year old, why did the previous owner sell it?Maybe he had problems and covered it up to sell the boat , who knows!Warranty will cover it! Go thru the proper procedures, Why give B.P.S a bad name when he bought it private, Check the rivites and see if they have been hit, if so maybe the guy did this and covered up to sell it, then i would go after the seller.

Please exhaust all of your options before guaranteeing that they won't help you. Have you dealt with the BPS Tracker department in Vaughan Mills or was it a call to the US?

Just have the original owner call in the job if all other options are used up like Rick said.

Starting a war with BPS will not win you anything since Tracker Marine is a completely separate division in that store. That would be like cutting off your face to spite your nose.

Let me know if you are still having trouble and I could make a call for you. It may or may not help but I can always try.

JP

What seems to get really lost in all of this is that It's not the fault of B.P.S

My point exactly.

I suspect the folks at BPS would jump at the chance to satisfy you but not at the cost of adopting Tracker's problem.

I wouldn't advise compounding the problem by protesting in thier parking lot.

-Brian