Crappie-tacular

Sugarpacket

On this nippy day BBR and I decided to go out on the lake in the ol' hound one more time this year for one last try at some bass. So we dropped Splenda off at grandmas house, he would have walked but we were afraid the big bad wolf would get him... Back to the story... so I hop in the truck and turn the key... nothing... took out the new Nautilus to see if we could try to give old Bessy a boost and so I turn the key again... nothing. So we gave up and decided to just fish from shore. We were just getting ready to head out when Gramps came out of the house and fixed the problem, of course it was something obvious and stupid... Being the lazy sots we are, we rather walk than load up the boat. Off we went. I finally got my new reel from Cabela's and I was itching to get it broke in. As we got to our spot we noticed that the lake had already gotten its first layer of ice. After what seemed like eons (20 mins) the hits were actually getting landed and of course crappy king pulled up the first two beauts.

DSC00792.jpg

After the crappies were beginning to bore BBR he decided to cast for some chrome just for fun. He got one heck of a hit that took him around a log and figured that was enough for him. Finally after a toe freezing hour and three lure changes later, I got my first crappie of the day, go me!

DSC00793.jpg

I also practiced SugarPacket tactic #62. What you need: Pole, reel, line, jig, and a thin layer of ice. First step rig up your jig on your equipment. Next flip into middle of thin layer of ice. If jig does not immediately drop through then the ice is too thick or your jig head is too small. Make sure that the ice is a little farther out than you would normally jig. The ice acts like a pulley system like a tree branch (see SugarPacket Tactics Vol. 9 Chapter 1 Section 6 sub-section 16 Natural Pulley systems) This will help you keep a constant non-frequented jigging area. See Diagram below.

spt62.jpg

Unfortunately I did not have any success with this tactic but I do suggest you try this at home.

DSC00789.jpg

BBR beat me again with 5 to 2 but I'm getting better he says. :roll:

DSC00796.jpg

Well BBR we didn't get that last bass or to try out your new battery pack but at least I got to use my new reel before I have to trade it in for my ice rod. Until next time folks don't keep fish and you'll have fun! ba ba BODY BREAKS!

I guess we'll have to wait for next year to put Sugarpacket on her PB largemouth. Always a fun day on the water even with many setbacks and stupid mistakes on our part. Heck those setbacks are what make it memorable down the road. Another great day on the water with my greatest fishing partner. :)