World War II and My Grandpa

mistyjr1

With Remembrance Day tomorrow I thought that i would do i tribute to my Papa who was a World War II veteran.

My Papa spent 2 years overseas. This was a newspaper article from his home town paper.

File0020redo-1.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my Papa while he was over seas.

He drove a transport carrier

Papa-Army.jpg

papaarmy2.jpg

Here is a picture of him in Belgium.

File0016.jpg

These are two picture of planes that had been shot down, I'm not sure if they are the same plane or not.

File0012redo.jpg

File0011Redo.jpg

Here is my Papa on a motor cycle.

File0007.jpg

I don't know where or when this was taken but I like this picture.

papaarmy3.jpg

These are his badges, the one on the left are his original ones, and the ones on the right are the ones that were remade.

106_0587-1.jpg

My Papa's last time fishing was with my Dad at Lovesick lake in 2004.

I think that he is up there somewhere looking down on me right now.

Mistyjr1

Great pictures! I don`t think my dad (passed away in 1991) had any except for a couple of pictures of him, and one of him and his brother in France during WW2. Scars on his legs, grenade fragment, bullet hole probably made more of an impact on us than a picture would anyway.

Dad was drafted(army) while waiting for one of his buddies to turn 18 so they could join the navy together. 50 bucks more a month to become a paratrooper so he volunteered for that, I guess growing up in the great depression makes you want a little more of a paycheck.

He wasn`t rich or famous, but my greatest American! There were a lot more!

Most of us will never know what these men and women went through on the front lines and this is certainly a wonderful tribute to your father. Makes us all pause and think of those who served and did so with the highest degree of honor. Next time you see a veteran ... give them a handshake and a big thanks.

We may not be where we are today without their sacrifice.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Great post for today. We have so much to learn from our past generations that created the Canada that we have today. Many people don't realize that the world would be a much different place if these veterans and those who never returned home hadn't fought for what they believed.

Peace