What kind of fish is this?

Hey all,

I was just looking through my photos from fishing trips this year and I found these of some type of fish that I caught in Mazinaw Lake, Bon Echo Provincial Park on the Thanksgiving weekend. Bearing in the mind that I have caught my fair share of small fish this year I thought I knew what they all were but this was a new one for even me! :blush: It's not a common shiner, golden shiner or a creek chub as I've caught those before - what is it? :dunno: Is it an Emerald Shiner? :unsure: There were lots of them hanging around a fallen tree - many of them were bigger than the perch I caught in there! :lol:

med_gallery_354_52_5179.jpg

gallery_354_52_64832.jpg

Thanks for reading - hopefully one of you will be able to identify it for me and then I can add it my list of species caught! ;) At least it's a fishing related post! :whistling:

Cheers

Thanks guys. I'm not convinced its a fallfish though - the colouration and fins don't seem to be right.

Badgershark - the mouth was soft. The band of blue colour down its side was very vibrant.

Any other suggestions welcome.

It's tough to make a positive id with just pictures but, by keying it out I'm leaning to wards fallfish. The main points I'd use being: each scale with dense pigment anteriorly and fewer than 50 scales along the lateral line.

Or... that's the monster Wayne, Glen and I saw in Georgian Bay the other week ;-)

Edited by kickingfrog