Maiden voyage of our boat!!!

ccmtcanada

So, after seeing the Dave Mercer premier this morning, Bly and I were really hoping to get out on Lake Scugog to test drive out boat for the first time! After consulting the marine weather, we noticed a small craft advisory....LOL.

I called up Goreskis marina to find out the conditions and the conversation went something like this.

Me: Hey there...I was wondering what the wind is like on your side of the lake.

Guy: Yep, its windy.

Me: What's the water like?

Guy: Brutal

Me: Ok thanks.

Hmmm...since the wind was out of the south west I tried Island Marnia....thinking it would be more sheltered and he said it wasn't bad on that side...and that he was looking at a few fishing boats at that time.

That was good enough for us! We got the boat all ready and attached to the trailer and off we went. About 25 minutes later, we were at the launch...yes...my first ever backing of the CRV up to a boat launch. I took it slow....took my sweet time and managed to get the trailer in position the first time! WOOHOO...this was easy....LOL.

The guy from the marnia, knowing this was our first time ever in our own boat says "dont forget the drain plug". We both laugh "yeah, we talked about it all the way up here". Anyhow, as the boat begins it's decent to the water, that conversations comes back to me....ACK!!!!!!!!! STOP THE BOAT!!!! We manage to get it before it leaves the trailer and pull the boat back up. Just a small amount of water gets in. A quick bail, insert the plug and the boat hits water for the first time. Ok...I'm ready for the ribbing now....LOL.

So, the boat is dockside, I get in and start with the priming bulb....now remember, the tank is 14 feet away from the motor, so it took me FOREVER to get the thing primed. Ok...moment of truth...pull the cord and it sputters. That happens all the time...pull it again... nothing...again... nothing...again ....nothing .... I'm now thinking "Awww crap...this sucks!!!" I check the plugs, check the fuel line, and try again...nothing. Finally...after about 100 cranks, bloody knuckles and a sinking heart the motor ROARS to life!! I let is get warm for a few minutes and we were out on the water. After a few more minutes of thought, I remember that the last thing we did with the motor was clean the carb with....awww man....that's what it was....needed to burn the rest of the cleaner out of the system. Oh well, it started and it ran great! Got up on a plane real quick and came right down to a very slow trolling speed.

Anyhow, here are a few pics...it was pretty rough out there for Scugog....and we didn't catch any fish. We were only on the water a few hours then came in as the sun was coming down.

boat4.jpg

boat3-1.jpg

My TJ pose...I think this may catch on...it's pretty comfy!! I'm looking at the fishfinder here.

boat5.jpg

I think we need to get some drink holders....but this came thru in a pinch....

cupholders.jpg

A nice sunset...you can see how rough the waters were....

boat2-1.jpg

The loading of the boat back on the trailer was a LOT less eventful...LOL. Got everything packed up, tied down, a quick lights check and we were on the road.

Hopefully we can get out again soon....this time with fish, a plug, and easier starting motor....

I was waiting for this report so far so good Cliff there are 4 things you must remember before launching the boat.Make sure the plug is in (I have backed in without and once not properly screwed in)Always remember to unplug the trailer lights or you can blow the bulbs.Never forget the transom straps and the safety chain Yup been there done that.

I can show you some awesome cup holders that I bought at wallmart they are adjustable to any drink format and the drink won' come out even in very rough waves.If you want to see a pic let me know.

There is one problem your net looks bigger than the boat :whistling:

But with the size of your fish you need that.

Lookin forward to meeting you in Quinte.

Mike

OH!!!... if only I could've been there!!! :w00t:

Congrats to you and Carole on a safe and successful maiden voyage!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Joey asked me earlier today if I was taking our boat to Quinte and I said "Are you kidding me? Glen will be there videotaping my launch....NO way!!" LOL.

All I could picture after the plug incident was you sitting there taking money from the onlookers saying "You's all better start payin up". :lol:

Congrats Cliff, I remember my first ride in my first boat. I am now on my third and have forgot the drain plug on all three of them. So it is a common thing. Bring your boat to Quitne, you will regret it if you dont. Nothing like catching in your own boat. Plus you gotta break er in.

Great to hear everything went relatively well Cliff. I feel for you, when the engine hadn't fired after so many pulls. You can feel it in the pit of your stomach and then ........ BOOM, she comes to life. Must have felt great getting here out for the first run. Did you bust the champagne on the berth . Here's a very funny link called "How to Christen a boat" http://www.ehow.com/how_2069779_christen-boat.html . Everyone with a boat should give it a read .

Congrats on your first voyage... I read your posts and think about all the things that you have done/accomplished in such a short period of time and am in awe.

Does anything stop you guys? :worthy: I have to say I would have been a little nervous on my first trip out in a newly aquired boat... not to mention the weather wasn't perfect... Do tell?? Do you get that feeling in the pit of your stomach wondering, worrying?? LOL, somehow I think the water and fishing all just comes naturally to the both of you... Dang, look at you with your feet up!

Have fun guys, be safe and for gawds sake keep posting... you inspire me!

Cheers,

Jen