Quinte Report

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Went fishing Saturday. mark wanted to go to a pike lake again. We were all set to go North and the weather calls for some rain. Mark doesn't want to fish another day in the rain so we stasrt heading east for Chandos.

Were on the 115 about 7 clicks up and I say, do you want to go to Quinte? He says sure. So we turn around and head for quinte. As we turn around and are on the 401 I remember something. The weather man is calling for 25-30K winds..... Although it changed the forecast last minute to 15K, I knew it was going to be really windy.

We get to the launch and we see all these people fishing next to an Island. I'm thinking they are into a school of pickeral. We get on the water and start working a small bay. I am using a jig and pig and got bit off by a pike under a boat I pitched to.

Left the bay and the wind was howling. They weren't at the Island for pickeral but for cover.....

I start working the Island and not too long in, I nail a 1lb largie hoping a grub on bottom for pickeral. Then I nail another one. This one is more decent. Then I nail another one. This one is a pike( a few lbs) and has a nice gash on its side. Probably healing from another pike bite. After that I lost one, and nailed a few more largies. All in about an hour and a half. Mark takes out the Husky Jerk and WHAM! Brings in a decent sized fish.

Quinte002-1.jpg

So I'm thinking its going to be a good day. NOT! I decide I want to head up to the main lake for pickeral,smallies and sheephead! The waves are pounding us hard. Steady 3 footers....

We get there and realize it is un fishable...We tried to escape the wind but it was coming at us from every where. Every time we changed shores the wind would be coming from another side!We decided to go into Hay Bay. Was working some wood with my other green jig and pig, I get a hit, set the hook and I am stuck on a tree. Had to snap it.....

Later we drifted backwards into a few trees and snapped one of Marks rods......

3 hours pass with not even a nibble or follow......

Then I get a hit, and its a 3 lb pike. And it goes dead for atleast another hour......

After driving around from shore to shore, we finally find some cover.

Mark starts casting and thinks he has a snag, and this snag starts to move. Brings it up and its a Hog Largie!!!!

Quinte003-1.jpg

Quinte004-1.jpg

I also nail a decent one. Then I put on some top water. Had a fish jump clear out of the water but missed the lure. Recast and WHAM! Here is a decent bass.

Quinte001-1.jpg

Here is a few more pics.

Quinte005.jpg

Quinte006-1.jpg

It was still windy and we didn't want to battle waves in the evening so we decided to head back. It was really windy and we got soaked a few times by the waves. Not to mention the water stunk pretty bad. There was a do not swim warning at the launch......

All in all I think I nailed 6-8 largies and 2 pike and mark nailed 3 largies and a rock bass. Another slow weekend but better than staying home.

The winds were Sure blowing after lunch and they were blowing right down Hay Bay, we managed a couple of eyes, one in Long Reach and one at the Old Church Weedbed. Both at 19.5"

Sunday was a WHOLE LOT better, weather and wind wise, cept, the fish weren't biting on our rods. Heard of some fish caught flatlining cranks.

Guest Johnny Bass

Thnaks guys. It was tough. The water temp started off at 68 degrees and got colder instead of warmer, again.....

My Alumacraft handled the waves well, but we were bounciing around like a bobber. We got splashed a few times though, whether you were going slow or fast didn't matter....

I was just thinking of all these boat modification posts we see, how do they handle the big waves, since it would probably dispupt the weight distribution of the boat.