09-21-07 - Lake St. Clair

SlowPoke

I didn't get out last weekend and I'm kicking myself for it. The opportunities were there but bad planning kept me on shore. I began watching the weather Wednesday for this weekend and it was shaping up to be good for Friday and Sunday but Saturday was going to be pretty breezy. I have given up on the weather network for forecasts, they seem especially bad this year and rely mostly upon..

http://www.sailflow.com/

Another good source from Shawn...

http://windguru.com/

You can customize these sites for local data and they have been very reliable.

I'll fish in almost any weather but I like to avoid big wind. Friday morning forecast was ideal and I planned to fish Lake Ontario for Salmon. Who else would you call at the last minute during the week but Emil (icefisherman). Emil doesn't turn down too many opportunities to get out but he had to go into work. I reminded him to pick up an application for me while he was there. ;)

I was going to go it alone after work but I ran into a co-worker Doug around midnight. Some of you have met Doug at Lakair and he lives in Windsor. A thought came to mind and I posed the question: "15 seconds to answer - yes or no, Lake St. Clair Muskie after work?" He replied "ummm, well"... me: "YES or NO?"... him: "YES". Lake St. Clair it is.

I finished work at 3AM while Doug continued on to Windsor where he finished around 5AM and we met at the ramp for 5:45AM. We had talked about trolling to the hump and maybe heading east from there. We trolled off and on the hump for a bit and marked plenty of fish in a couple locations so we threw a few casts. No hits, no follows. It was pretty foggy at this point and dedided rather than getting further from the ramp, we would head back in and fish closer to shore. It was almost to the point where you couldn't see where your lure was landing after a cast.

We could have found the shorline with the compass but having the GPS is so handy, saves time and fuel. Even without the fog, I think Doug (a chart guy) is realizing the potentials of such gadgetry.

Within a mile of shore we deployed the muskie gear once again and headed west. The fog was burning off a little and we bagan seeing the shoreline and a little more boat traffic.

The wind was picking up a little, from ripple to chop on the water but still very calm. About 30 minutes into out westerly troll, Doug's let off a couple clicks but there was nothing there. No weeds either. Not long after my rod started zzzzinging. A few head shakes and pulls and this guy was ready to give up. Until he saw the boat. Pretty good bend in my rod now! I told him "it's okay, we just want a picture with you and we'll put you back". Seemingly reassured, he swam gracefully into the net.

DSC01227.jpg

I got a measurement for the tourney and had a little trouble holding him under the jaw like Steve (smellinfishy) showed me last year. Just not enough grip and I wasn't going to gill him. I'm still a muskie newbie but I know the fish stands a better chance with the gripper than me farting around too long trying to get a proper hold.

DSC01231.jpg

And the ubiquitous realease shot...

DSC01233.jpg

First muskie of the year, first in my boat and the last one of the day. We fished for another 2 hours without a sniff and headed back to the ramp when the winds were really picking up - as forecasted by sailflow.com

-Brian

WTG Brian nice fish.Wish I was fishin just finished with a plumming nightmare.I must say I have the highest respect for anyone who is a plumbmer.What a dirty job.My kitchen sink has been clogged since thursday night after working another kind of fish for 2 days I am happy to say I have conquered the infamous pipe slime and managed to get water flowing down the drain again. :wallbash: Your fish pic just made my day.

Thanks Brian I needed to see a beauty fish like that :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: MTP

Great job out there Brian! That's one great looking muskie! Congrats on the first of the year.

Since I'm assuming you typed this at home, it must have been a disaster free outing. Maybe the hex is finally off of you! Hope I didn't just start it again by mentioning it....hehe.

Team 4, TEAM FOUR, Team 4....oh-yessir!

Awesome catch there buddy......

With JPD having eaten up all the categories pretty much that sure is one beuatiful addition for our us.

I thought that with living on the water I'd be able to fish everyday but have found it to be just the opposite for one reason or another and that getting us a musky would have been a no brainer........again, no such luck.

You did it Brian...way to go...and congratulations also on your first lunge of the season.

As for the weather........Being a bricklayer, Ive learned to tell weather by the feel of certain ailments ive endured and that is pretty accurate...more so then the weather network. I still watch it in the morning just the same for current radar tracking and wind speed/direction.

Nive looking monster you got there Bud...Very Nice.

Peter

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments and taking a moment to do so!

Since I'm assuming you typed this at home, it must have been a disaster free outing. Maybe the hex is finally off of you! Hope I didn't just start it again by mentioning it....hehe.

I've been enjoying disaster free fishing for a while now. I don't think you can jinx it by saying something - I know this because you keep bringing it up! The only disaster I'm still contending with is your fault! I found another 2 split shots and a worm weight yesterday while doing some maintenance.

Sweet lookin gator there Brian.....Next time you head out on a Friday give me the heads up cause I may just be feeling a little fluish ;)

I'll keep you in mind Chris... is it okay to call at midnight for a 5AM departure? ;)

Team 4, TEAM FOUR, Team 4....oh-yessir!

Awesome catch there buddy......

With JPD having eaten up all the categories pretty much that sure is one beuatiful addition for our us.

JP has been doing a lot of heavy lifting for our team, especially with the 38" carp that knocked my adorable little 26"er outta the running. I was more than happy to knock off his big 32" GL Trout with my 34"er... ahh redemption. Now get out there and fish!

Brian,

Nice picture and good decision on changing direction from SE going to the NW ;-)

Now if I knoew you are going for Muskie or even to Erie for eyes I may have considered your kind offer ;-)

Oh well maybe next Frida? ;-)

Long drive for you Emil... 3 hours to LSC. Those muskies don't just jump in your boat like Erie walleys - it might take a few trips to get you one but you're more than welcome. I think I'm done for Erie this year unless it's bass fishing.

-Brian