Sunday salmon report

wuchikubo

After a few days of thinking and talking to some knowledgeable anglers, one from this board and a regular Notty angler (not from this board), I had made up my mind to give it a try on Sunday morning.

Friday night comes and my son develops a cough that just wouldn't let up. So I'm thinking this isn't going well as he wants to go too. Saturday, he wakes up very tired and not feeling very well, we call his saturday school to them he won't be in class. At the same time my daughter sounds all plugged up when she talked. Towards the end of the day they both say they're feeling fine or better.

Since they were resting all day, they didn't go to bed until 10 pm.

I'm getting antsy and can't sleep very well myself.

Look at the clock 3:21 am. Okay time to get stuff ready. After quietly packing stuff into the car, off I go at 4 am to get gas and head to the Notty. Get to the gas station (PC) and the attendant says the pumps don't take pay at the pump at that hour (?!?!?). Fill the car go pay for gas inside.

Get to the spot at 6 am (still pitch black). Put my waders on, tie my line and off to the river I go. As I leave my vehicle I see another angler about 10 steps behind me, I greeted him and went to the river edge to notice 5 other anglers there fishing already. I see and hear a couple of splashes with one angler pulling one fish in (looks like it will a great day). 15 mins into casting, Bam, fish on! The fish is a smaller one but it heads straight for the weeds, it does get caught up in the weeds but manages to stay on the hook! I get the net and I've got my first salmon of the year landed, a nice small 5lber ('ish) chinook silver bullet hen! Go back to shore to unhook it, then realize I left the plyers in the car trunk, Doh! Take the fish to the car to unhook it, get back to my spot and there's another angler standing in the exact same spot! Thinking oh well, it was my fault to begin with by leaving my plyers in the car. So now I have one guy on my right and another on my left both about 20 ft from me on each side. I watch the guy who took my spot hook into two fish but they come off in under 10 secs. After another 20 mins or so, I notice the guy moving back to where he came so I cast back to where I had my first hit, after a few more casts, Bam! Fish on, now the guy who was to my left and 20 ft away was the same guy that walked behind me to the river, he has this "what's he using and doing different look on his face". This time the fish is a bit bigger and goes for a run along the river across his area so he waits patiently until I get my fish under so called control back into my area, this fish then heads for the weeds like the first one but misses it zipping right by me. Grab the net and ready for it when it jumps up over the weeds and lands in the net, I didn't even have to try for it. Well, I've got my second fish, it's a small silver chinook hen about 8 lbs (I'm guessing).

By this time I notice both guys besides me trying to get a glimpse of what I'm using. So I just tell them, the guy that took my spot earlier is back within 15 feet of me heads back to his tackle box to change up. The guy that was so patiently casting kept casting.

Time rolls around to 8 o'clock, it's not active on the water for about 15 mins, so I pack it up and leave. All the while thinking my wife will be ready to ream me for going fishing.

I get home just before 10. As I'm backing up, my wife calls with a disgruntled voice "Where are you?" I answer in the driveway. The disgruntled voice then softens, "oh". The kids and my wife were getting ready to head for breakfast. They come out and see the cooler, my son looks in "wow, daddy has big fish!" he exclaims to my wife. The look on her face was, "you went fishing and are back by now?" as if something was strange.

gallery_196_33_7281.jpg

Put the fish in the house with ice and went to breakfast with them.

Got home afterwards and cleaned the fish. Obviously, with both of them being hens, there were skeen. Now, if only I can figure out the best way to use them.

Now, some already know by now that I do eat my fish as well as my family which include my parents. I know many here are C&R anglers only, but a couple of fresh fish were too much to pass over especially coming from good waters. Anyways, dinner was yummy. Thanks for reading.

Well here are some pics.

gallery_196_33_46919.jpg

gallery_196_33_17723.jpg

gallery_196_33_88723.jpg

gallery_196_33_91037.jpg

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

Great photoshop, I think it's pretty cool that you catch them in your backyard....LOL.

I figured the backyard neighbour didn't want to have someone scoping out his house, with all his multiple satellite receivers and what nots.

Problem with fishing crowded spots, the moment you leave to take a picture, another angler is standing in your spot immediately. <_<