10,000 casts and counting?

Big Swede

After a fruitless (and fishless) trip to a windy and choppy Stoney Lake, I had a lot of time to think about all things muskie. With cookslav and I working hard at striving towards that legendary magic number of casts required to catch a muskie, I had to wonder about whether we are going about it the wrong way.

I mean, if 10,000 casts is the magic number needed to catch a muskie , then how do you count casts when you primarily troll for them? Does it just count for one or is there a number you multiply by? Say, by mile trolled or something like that. If it's just one, well then that's just plain crap and might just explain our lack of success.

And what if you are fishing in muskie waters but targeting another species like walleye? Can you count those casts too? Jeez, I hope so!

:P

Just look at those 10,000 casts as practice swings on the golf course Big Swede, and every once in awhile you'll whack a hole-in-one :thumbsup_anim:

Sorry to hear bout the skunk, but your number is coming up and then it'll all be worth it. ;)

Well man,theres 5280 feet per mile

with an average cast of 125 feet multiplied by 10 000 cast and divided by 5280 feet per mile

You"ll have to troll 236.74 miles with an average of 3 miles per gallon,that will cost you 80$ in fuel :D

So ya wanna catch a muskie eh :w00t:

Look on the bright side,its better than trolling the couch :Gonefishing:

Edited by marc thorpe

Umm... i tried to tell you this Marc... but you wouldn't listen

Seeing that I am now the official Muskie expert here.....

..... casting is for losers.... :o

oh ya and where did you learn to divide..... I thought muskie fishermen couldn't get past grade 5.

(watch it start now!! :blahblah1: )

Big Swede, fish are weird creatures. Picture this. My Dad and I were sitting in a 14 foot alumiminum, I am at the front, him at the back, so let's say we were no more then 12 feet apart, and at anchor. I was catching perch and pike like there was no tomorrow. Him, well lets just say he practiced his swearing a lot between fish number one and his last fish of the night (number two). I have no explanation for this.

But sitting on your butt wishing for a big skie won't get er done. So keep beating the water and enjoy the outdoors, it does the mind and body good. Even a blind dog will eventually find a bone.....

:Gonefishing:

:D

I'm loving the words of encouragement and the debate on the ratio of trolling miles to casts! That was a grumpy comment I made in jest to cookslav after 6 hours of battling steady winds that were supposed to die down at noon.

Thanks for the support guys but rest assured, like most of you here on this board I am sure, I can spend 16 hours in a boat with no food, no bio breaks and no fish, and I will still hit the water with fishing rod in hand the very next day. It's the silence and discovering new water in the great outdoors that keeps me going. IMO, the thrill of a fish pulling back at the end of your line is just the cherry on the sundae.

Keep those lines tight, my friends!

In my opinion, Stony/Stoney is the toughest lake in the east Kawarthas. I would choose Lower Buckhorn over anything else . Send me an e-mail and I will give you my personal game plan for a day of Musky fishing.

Garry2r's

Edited by garry2rs

In my opinion, Stony/Stoney is the toughest lake in the east Kawarthas. I would choose Lower Buckhorn over anything else . Send me an e-mail and I will give you my personal game plan for a day of Musky fishing.

Garry2r's

And here I was about to say that Stoney must be a great lake for musky, because I landed two Skis there this season while bass fishing, and NONE on buckhorn while FISHING FOR THEM.

go figure.

In order to catch musky, fish for bass?

Umm... i tried to tell you this Marc... but you wouldn't listen

Seeing that I am now the official Muskie expert here.....

..... casting is for losers.... :o

oh ya and where did you learn to divide..... I thought muskie fishermen couldn't get past grade 5.

(watch it start now!! :blahblah1: )

I got Schooled alright

Hey so I went a little lean on the cost of gas :whistling:

Ya dont want me to frighten the poor lad :w00t:

Grade 5!!!!

I thought it all ended in grade 3

Edited by marc thorpe

Oh I Had to answer to this one Big Swede cause I feel your PAIN!! I've put a lot of weekend miles over the last couple of years going to Balsam for the elusive musky and I have yet to even see a follow.Got the gear, have made the time and still got the the good ol' goose-egg!!BUT the first one's gonna be special no matter how long it takes.10,000 casts,probably 250 miles worth of trolling......IT"S GONNA HAPPEN .

Kerry