Sturgeon fishing anyone catch them?

glen

Sturgeon fishing anyone catch them? I would like to catch one. But i don't know where to find them. Maybe the Fraser river in BC. That is the only place i know of. Is there anywhere close to here.

:Gonefishing:

Nipissing has them....

Gerritt.

Where from? Eh.. Sturgeon fishing takes patience ... Unless your're fishing overpopulated fisheries like the Groundhog River in Timmins,On. ..Places like the Frazer are good places to Start.. I've Lived there and fished it and it's amazing.. consider a Guide the first time out . If not any bait shop in Port Coquitlam will tell ya where to go. Be prepared you'd be amazed at the tidal current in the Fraser... minimum of 2oz..sinkers are required ... and dou you have a HUGE SLINGSHOT? you may need it if you're fishin' from shore..

I've since returned to my hometown here in Sturgeon Falls.On, where Sturgeon fishing is now prohibited.. due to overfishing, in 1988 we were Caviar capital of the World...we beat out Bakail Russia for the title.. All these Sturgeon came from Lake Nipissing & the Sturgeon River..

A population survey is now being conducted. and a tagging program is now in place.

Just 2 weeks ago a 125lb specimen [Lake Sturgeon]was measured tagged and released.

The population is almost strong enough ..they say . to support a 1 fish per season limit..no netting of course...local natives still do unfortunately. You can catch 'em by accident here while using live bait ,50-80lbs... but has'nt happened to me so far this year. But has happened to a few buddies of mine this summer. There's still time till Ice_Up.

Lost of info out there on Google.. for tactics and techniques..Nylon sock stuffed with old Liver streched over a huge triple hook tied off with red yarn for good measure worked for me..

Good Luck. :blahblah1:

Also dont forget......the best river of them all.....THE OTTAWA RIVER....i caught one there about 15yrs ago and she weighed about 20lbs...just a little baby,ministry said she was about 27yrs old,it was like hooking a big channel cat in the current,caught her just below arnprior....ill try to find a pic of her for you cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

In the LARRY? Fer chrissakes, Roy and I were anchored off the east island in Boucherville at night, jigging walleye, and every 10 minutes it sounded like someone was flipping telephone poles into the river. KASPLASH. These were large fish, 20-30 lbs I guess, completely clearing the water.

Sorta scary really. What would you do with a 30 lb dinosaur on your line at midnight?

heard that a guy pulled out 100 pounder in niagara falls area, some place where you have to go down on some rocky road, i remember because he was complaining how he was pulling the sturgeon for 1 hour up that rocky road up.

In the LARRY? Fer chrissakes, Roy and I were anchored off the east island in Boucherville at night, jigging walleye, and every 10 minutes it sounded like someone was flipping telephone poles into the river. KASPLASH. These were large fish, 20-30 lbs I guess, completely clearing the water.

Sorta scary really. What would you do with a 30 lb dinosaur on your line at midnight?

Just like you Doug I went this summer with Roy while we were trolling for walleyes on the Larry and caught the SKUNK .Just like you we saw many 3 to 4 foot Sturgeon jumping.

And during an ice fishing get together this winter with Roy and Marc ,Marc's son caught a little Sturgeon around 8 to 10lbs.

I would pay big bucks to see you(GCD) outside ice fishing with -40 celcius wind chill.That would freeze your cotton candy ass fer sure :whistling:

Oh ya so whats it going to be Glen Montreal sturgeon or Quinte Wall-Ice.

Mike

Edited by Mike the Pike

Sry, Mike, that wasn't clear. I've caught seldom fish outa Roy's boat, and fewer in his home water. Usually the skunk is the typical catch in Boucherville, with me as well. At least the paella is sine qua non. Ne plus ultra, si vous voulez.

The St. Clair river holds Sturgeon and biggins too! I've seen many anglers with their telephone poles plying the waters of the St.Clair river. Heard tell of some of them requiring guys to hop on a boat a follow it for hours, in an effort land them.

Huge tackle, including terminal tackle for those beasts... maybe check out a local board for more info.

HH

I guess there are some things a guy takes for granted. I fish Walleyes in Wisconsin in the Winnebago river system. Walleyes and Sturgeon both run up the Fox and Wolf rivers to spawn in the spring.For two or three weeks each year they are so thick it hampers the Walleye fishing. Sturgeon are not allowed to be kept on hook and line so all fishing is catch and release,but it is nothing to hook into as many as 20 per year . Over the years we have had them up to 6 feet long and as much as 90 or 100 pounds.

All the Great Lakes and their major tributaries have lake sturgeon. The world record rod and line lake sturgeon was caught near the mouth of the Nottawasaga and weighed 169 lbs I believe. There was a commercial boat out of Blind River that got one 212 lbs a few years ago and I've watched big ones jumping in the Mississauga River near Blind River many times. When one of those big guys jumps, you'd think a log just popped out of the water. The sturgeon in the Frazer are white sturgeon that get much bigger and run in from the ocean.

Nipissing has them....

Gerritt.

I can confirm this. :thumbsup_anim:

I hooked into one there about 10 years ago, while on a fishing trip.

It felt like a 50 LBS Walleye. By this I mean the same kinda fight.It stayed down, and bull dogged the hole time.It was the biggest fish I've ever seen inperson.We did not have a camera.And I just wanted to put it back it the water as fast as possible.I hooked into it, while using a worm harness ( I was fishing for walleyes)

I still remember the long fight.It took over 45 mins to land.( good thing I had a craddle) No idea the wieght of the fish.But well over 50" in lenth cause we had trouble fitting it into the craddle.

My oldest friend was freaking out.

Sry, Mike, that wasn't clear. I've caught seldom fish outa Roy's boat, and fewer in his home water. Usually the skunk is the typical catch in Boucherville, with me as well. At least the paella is sine qua non. Ne plus ultra, si vous voulez.

A little birdie told me if you think the last time was a boat ride, just wait until the next time!!! :wallbash:

... and the paella might not be as good as in the past either!... uh-oh!!! :oops: ... something about Kraft Dinner? :whistling:

• 6 months later...

I haven't caught a sturgeon yet but I once had the experience of something in the French River take my live bait and go like a run-away freight train, peeling my reel empty. I suspect it was a sturgeon.

I'd like to catch one just to have a look, take some pics, and then release it.

I did a search and found an M.N.R. atlas of Ontario waters that have them:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:T8VCI...t=clnk&cd=1

Some of you may be surprised you might not have to go that far to get them.

Tight lines!