caught a skunk now what !!!!!!!! (NF)

ufish2

Hey everybody, we have a trap set up in our garden and been catching rabbits that are eating everything in sight. We usually just bring them about 4 miles away and release them in an open field area. But a SKUNK!!! how am I going to get him to the area to release him. Does anyone have experience with skunks? What are my options here? I don't want to hurt the skunk.

Please anybody have any suggestions?

I hope you havea pick up truck :) Slowly walk to the cage with a white sheet or blanket held up, no sudden movements. Slowly drape the sheet over the cage, gently pick it up and put it in the truck and you can move it up to a km away (if you're in ontario), take it off the truck, and release. Good luck

Maureen

The SPCA should be able to help you. Personally, I'd call P3TA and tell them that if they don't come over to get the skunk right now.....well, I'm sure you can think up some interesting consequences. There'll be media coverage...wear your OFC hat.

The SPCA should be able to help you. Personally, I'd call P3TA and tell them that if they don't come over to get the skunk right now.....well, I'm sure you can think up some interesting consequences. There'll be media coverage...wear your OFC hat.

I was in the middle of my third coffee Roy! I will send you the cleaning bill...............

I was also going to say put an arrow through it in the upper half of its body. It will go through and through and it won't spray. I would say your almost certain to get sprayed. How hard is it to just open the trap and let it out?

If you do try and move it. Make a suit out of garbage bags and wear a face mask.

Don't forget to take pictures.

Hey ufish2,

What kinda cage is it? If it's a have-a-heart, chances are its too low for the skunk to lift its tail. They may stink up to high heaven, but if they're unable to lift their tails, you need not worry!

Maureen had a good point though. In order to avoid giving the animal un-due stress, just place an old blanket over top of the cage when you transport it.

Let us know how the relocation went!!

cheers

HD

I hope you havea pick up truck :) Slowly walk to the cage with a white sheet or blanket held up, no sudden movements. Slowly drape the sheet over the cage, gently pick it up and put it in the truck and you can move it up to a km away (if you're in ontario), take it off the truck, and release. Good luck

Maureen

How can I take a chance? the concequences are drastic!!!! What would i do if it did spray me?? what is the remedy, does tomato juice really do the trick?

If you cover the fur ball up with a blanket they won't spray. Then you can take it out and get rid of it in the bush. We had to do that at my brothers house, he had a nest of them under his shed.

Been there, done that - but I didn't worry about transporting him anywhere!

I got a blue tarpaulin and walked slowly towards the cage, as I got closer he would turn around and lift his butt towards me then I'd back off - did this a couple of times. Then ran in fast, throwing the tarp at him and covered the cage completely - he let off a couple of blasts into the tarp. I left him alone for a minute then slowly lifted the cage door - not so easy - and out he ran - whew!

I think because the spray was so confined to the tarp that the smell wasn't as bad as it could've been - I had a dog that got sprayed once - bad! - & yeah tomato juice works!