Winter Tires (not Fishing)

wishn4fishn

I found Goodyear Eagle M&S 225's worked really well on my 5 speed T-Bird SC. Needed someone to walk on both sides of the car to keep it straight on street tires...those Mud and snows would go just about anywhere in comparison. They're a bit more pricy of course.

I'm putting my winter tires on this morning and the summer tires with the nice chrome wheels are heading to the basement to hibernate for a few months. Sposed to be some snow heading this way tomorrow, so it's time to git er done.

Whatever winter tires you decide to go with, be sure to use them on all 4 wheels, rather than just the 2 rear wheels. Makes a world of difference in handling the vehicle in the snow & slush.

C'MON SPRING !!!!!! :lol:

I'm putting my winter tires on this morning and the summer tires with the nice chrome wheels are heading to the basement to hibernate for a few months. Sposed to be some snow heading this way tomorrow, so it's time to git er done.

Whatever winter tires you decide to go with, be sure to use them on all 4 wheels, rather than just the 2 rear wheels. Makes a world of difference in handling the vehicle in the snow & slush.

C'MON SPRING !!!!!! :lol:

I thought you lived in the Banana belt Lew?

Wouldn't used winter tires be like regular tires?

Richard, there doesn't seem to be much interest in used tires for some reason.

I've got a pair of 16" Michelin winter tires from my last truck that only have 5000 km on them and are still like brand new, and I tried all last winter to sell them, but no takers.

Guess folks just have too much $$$$ these days <_<

I have and will in the future buy used tires for the spring and summer, but never for winter. I want to know for sure I've got decent tread and quality rubber for the winter months. I can understand why some people might be a little apprehensive about buying used though, especially privately, you never know what you're gonna get...

Maureen

The best bang for your buck when it comes to snow tires are Firestone Winter Force........Call your nearest Firestone or tire dealer.

I second the Winterforce. I put them on my Subaru WRX and my wife's Mazda Protoge last year. They are in the $50.00 range at Tire Rack (Don't know if you can get them in Canada from them)

Mine are larger than hers and are fairly noisy. My wife's are as quiet as a typical M+S but she's only running 195's. I am a salesman and put 15K miles on mine last winter with no visible wear. I bought a second set of factory wheels off of ebay for $100. Couldn't find wheels for my wife's car cheap, so got cheap steel wheels from Tire Rack. They mounted and balanced the packaged before shipping. My wife's set was $400.00 for the whole package. They have huge grooves for snow and a lot of siping and grip well on ice.

I actually took my truck (Dodge 1500 4x4) to work last year because the snow was very deep and I was worried about being high centered. Got stuck in our long driveway. Walked back, got the Subaru, drove down to the truck, off the driveway and around the truck and kept on going. Pushed snow grille high for 1 1/2 miles until I hit the paved road. They are great tires for little $. :worthy:

Stein those little AWD sports/rally cars are tanks in the snow. I used to own an Eagle Talon AWD and people were amazed at where it could go with a proper set of snows. I distinctly remember last winter, seeing several trucks stuck. My little talon would push on, acting like a plow, snow flying over the hood/windshield. :D Ahh memories.

To the original poster, try Tire World in Brampton. Just east of Dixie on Steeles (If I remember right). I've been getting my tires from them for years and they are usually the most competitive.

Edited by Raf

Stein those little AWD sports/rally cars are tanks in the snow.

Actually, the reason I bought those tires was to participate in the inagural SCCA US Rallycross Championship :blush: but that's not what I told my wife. They are great snow tires, though.

I got second place in Street Stock AWD :thumbsup_anim:

I'll third the Winterforce tires. I have them on my van and there better than the CT winter tires I paid more for a year earlier. They are directional tires made for winter.

I got mine at Midas. They sell out quite quick at the location I was at (Midland/Steeles) so call before you go to anywhere.

Stan

i grabbed a set of 195/75/15 Cooper Arctic Claw winters last year from Thorold Tire and Auto, so far so good, paid $400. incl taxes/install and all the little extras most places don't tell you about, so far virtually no signs of wear...

Was smart and put them on 2weeks ago, didn't wanna risk getting caught with 17's and summer tires on...

Edited by phat bassturd

Thanx for the replies guys. I learned that EVERYTHING is expensive for this car. Rear wheel can be fun and scary but most of the time you have to watch ur corners and go pathetically slow.

Spinnin Jay- old skool 93 Infiniti J30t

DSCF3037.jpg

Edited by W15h1N 1 WuZ F15H1N

Richard, there doesn't seem to be much interest in used tires for some reason.

I've got a pair of 16" Michelin winter tires from my last truck that only have 5000 km on them and are still like brand new, and I tried all last winter to sell them, but no takers.

Guess folks just have too much $$$$ these days <_<

Lew I dont have that much $$$$ these days. What size are your 16's you have for sale. I have a Chevy K1500 that could possibly use them. PM me if you've still got them.

Corn Nug

215/60r15 winterforce around 87 bucks each same size uniroyal ice and snow about 115 might even be cheaper tires will have to check in the morning.

personally use blizzaks can't beat the bridgstones or michelin when it comes to winter rubber i know have pretty much used them all, but when it comes to value the uniroyal tiger paw ice and snow works the best, there has been a few people who have seen me out on the bog in the winter in either my old caddy or a ford tauras running around without getting stuck and the unis performed flawlessly for a entry level snow and they are fairly quiet as well

Just came back from Wal Mart, bought 4 WinterForce Tires for my Grand Caravan, cheapest price around.

$398.00 installed and put my others in the basement.

Checked around all day and Wal Mart couldn't be beat.

Another great thing about OFC.........putting my son (Tracker Terry) in a safe set of tires for my son, Daughter-in-law and GrandKids...................priceless!!