Live bait silly question

oncogene

Ok a bit of a silly question but it's always in my head! Is a dozen a dozen?

Like when u go buy minnows, when it says $2.99 for a dozen, do the store u frequent actually give u 1, 2, 3,....11, 12, exactly 12 minnows? How about leeches, crayfishes?

I only buy minnows when I'm out in Scarborough, in a store near my gf's place. It's a chinese owned bait shop and when it says a "dozen" of minnows, it's really a scoop. So 1 dozen of $2.99 small minnows can be anywhere from 20-40ish fish (not so many for the bigger sized minnows obviously). I always wonder if it's the same in other places, esp the non-chinese ones lol... feel abit silly to ask :whistling:

Getting more is good, because some of die before you get to use them usually..... One thing though to watch out for with a generous scooper is if you are the bait fetcher for a large party be careful. One time I was the bait guy and went and bought 9 dozen so I wouldn't be over the limit of 120.... This was for a party of 3 people fishing. Anyhow after fishing all day the three of us and using a LOT of minnows. I took the rest of the minnows home to salt them... I salted 110 minnows... So if I had of been stopped on the way back to the pier in the morning with the minnows I could have been charged if the CO was a in a bad mood.

I agree with rickster.....

If they are actually so CHEAP to sit there and count the minnows....

I will go out of my way to find somewhere else to get them from.

Its normally a scoop full.

And of course you do not count the money, just give them a handfull and say "keep the change" right?

Getting more is good, because some of die before you get to use them usually..... One thing though to watch out for with a generous scooper is if you are the bait fetcher for a large party be careful. One time I was the bait guy and went and bought 9 dozen so I wouldn't be over the limit of 120.... This was for a party of 3 people fishing. Anyhow after fishing all day the three of us and using a LOT of minnows. I took the rest of the minnows home to salt them... I salted 110 minnows... So if I had of been stopped on the way back to the pier in the morning with the minnows I could have been charged if the CO was a in a bad mood.

I believe that the 40 minnow limit only applies to minnows that you have trapped yourself. There is not limit on how many minnow that you buy... it's a good idea to have a receipt.

And of course you do not count the money, just give them a handfull and say "keep the change" right?
:clapping:

If the sign says 3 bucks for a dozen then that is what it means...you give the shopkeeper 3 bucks and you get 12 minnows.

Same thing if the sign says 3 bucks for a scoop, give them 3 loonies and ya git a scoop of minnows, maybe 12, could be 30. Not to hard to figure out. :dunno:

If by chance you get more than 12 when buying a dozen be thankful and show your appreciation. :lol:

I have encountered bait shops that sell by the scoop and also sell by the doz. The minnows sold by the dozen are usually larger and perhaps healthier. The scoop minnows are in a different tank.

We have a bait shop here that will count out minnows I never buy a dozen I ask for $3 worth or $5 worth I do not go to the one place his wife will take your $ and you will have enough for a hour of slow fishing. Most places when I ask for $5 I get a nice black bottom bucket. I can not remember using all the minnows unless I was pearch fishing which does not happen all to often. Remember if you ask for 12 dont expect more. Crawfish usually is per each leaches is by dozen for most places I go and you dont get more its like Crawlers 20 in t he pack you get 20.

It has changed over the years, like the price of anything. As a kid a bucks worth of emerald shiners in a large styrafoam bait bucket would pack it. Larger bass size minnows were more costly, a buck a dozen got you maybe 15.

Just guessing that very few bait stores catch their own bait any more, and gas prices affect everything (transportation).

A lot of bait (minnows) are raised down here, get away from Lake Erie and Emerald shiners are hard to come by, you get fathead minnows instead at most inland lakes or for bass sized minnows Golden Shiners.

The minnows that are natural to the lake have always seemed the best bait to me, the fish are used to eating them. Most lakes here were made by damming a creek or river running into a valley so the baitfish from that are the natural bait.

No new lakes made here in a long time, bait sold and dumped into the lake at the end of the day have had enough time to become established as natural ( fish grew up eating them ). Most lakes here have an established population of fathead minnows and golden shiners.

There is a wide variation in baitfish, I don`t buy bait often, but will pay for what I want. I used to catch my own and know it can take some time and effort.

I don't understand this. If someone offers you a dozen minnows for $2.99 and you accept and he counts out 12 (as promised), and you laugh at his cheapness...is he then allowed to laugh at your cheapness for counting out $2.99? Have I missed something?

I also think its important to know whether the shop is trapping their own bait or buying it from a wholesaler... if they are trapping it then maybe thay can afford to give away a few extra.. but if they are bying them and they have a set price per dozen to turn a profit, then a dozen it is.....

Guest Johnny Bass

I dont use minnows anymore but I am definately with the rest of the guys. Minnows are dirt cheap. If they are giving you 12 minnows they have a right to, but I also have a right to go somewhere else. I would not go back to someone who counts their minnows.

Its the bait/tackle shops that go out of their way to please the customers and not their bank accounts that get my business.