Pigeon lake report w/family

jediangler

Went up to Pigeon lake with the family for our yearly cottage rental week. My parents came up for the first 3 nights so I got to do some fishing with Pops while Grandma did some swimming with my daughter. We did see quite a few dead and floating carp all over the lake from Bobcaygeon to Gannon's narrows. I took the kayak along but only used it twice all week. I did manage to catch this little smallmouth on a 3" sluggo just out from the beach.

129971.jpg

While at the beach my 7yr old found 2 bobbers and was always checking for washed up treasures when she found this bag of glow in the dark bait hooks.

129984.jpg

I'm glad she saw them as there were several children younger than her playing in the sand nearby. She likes to go out in the boat but did most of her fishing off the dock at sunset catching many WGSF as well as bluegill and sunfish. She drove the boat this year for the first time and though I'm helping in this pic, taken by my wife, she did drive it herself for a minute. She didn't like the vibrations but would only drive full throttle, she's a speed demon for sure.

129982.jpg

While out with Pops and my wife I threw my favourite Mepps Musky Killer, gold blade & black buck, while they caught largemouth and perch on their jig & grub combos. I have a hard time fishing for anything other than musky if I'm on any water they inhabit. It paid off eventually with this little 32" scrapper that was caught in 8ft of water with scattered weeds growing to within 2ft of the surface.

129978.jpg

My parents left on Tuesday morning and by evening we had a visit from the Shipper. He drove his piglet (Honda Rebel 250) up from Kitchener to spend the night and do some fishing Wednesday morning before cruising back home. We started at 9am casting and drifting a previously productive spot without any luck. The Shipper is a troller by nature and I'm more of a caster but my way wasn't producing so we started to troll. After no more than 20min he hooks up with his little polish perch in 12ft of water. He's using my wife's bass rod & reel that is spooled with 14lb fireline and after 10min of deep dogging I get a bare hand under the gill plate and land it. It's his Personal Best musky at 39".

129980.jpg

We release the fish after a few minutes of reviving and it goes off strong. Checked the clock and it's 10:20am. Then we backtracked and trolled the last 100 yds again. This time I get a hit on the jointed orange rapala but it doesn't fell very big. I reel in this nice eater sized walleye with my Abu C4 and 50lb Power Pro not sure if it's just weeds or not.

129976.jpg

I was tempted to keep it but saw many walleye coming to the fish cleaning hut every evening and thought I'd give this guy another chance. There were some guys up from PA fishing musky that had said they were getting muskies and walleyes equally on their musky baits and were quite happy to share their catch with the other cottagers. We then went back to casting as it was 11am now and we planned to only fish till noon. I started to throw my nickel blade black buck Slopmaster in 6ft of water with lots of weeds and by 11:15am I hooked this 36.5" musky that I saw make a 20ft dash to hit the lure. It then jumped completely clear of the water and the fight was on. In less than 3min I hand landed it and released it after a few pics.

129973.jpg

The Shipper was asking me to show him how to land them bare handed when I get another hit on the Slopmaster. This one seems kind of small so I tell him he can try it out on this little musky when I get it to the boat. As it gets closer I realize that it's a nice walleye and tell him he'll have to wait to try because I'm landing this one myself. It was 25" long and was a little skinny but still my longest from Pigeon lake.

129974.jpg

I released it happily figuring it was the good karma I'd received from releasing the first one that allowed me to hook and land this one. The rest of the week was uneventful, fishing wise, but still spent some quality family time down at the beach and relaxing back at the cottage. The week went by so fast and we booked again for next year knowing that more memories will be made when we return.

129983.jpg

Edited by jediangler

Hey good job Bro, glad to see yous all had a good trip...Ma was ranting and raving about it when they got home. Hope our holidays work out to the same time next year Goog and I would luv to join yas for a week next summer.

Great report & pics,that seemed like a very nice week long holiday :clapping::clapping: ,and by the looks of things the fishing was quite good,those muskies are a nice size,and have nice colors as do those tasty walleyes too,sounds like a great place to be with freinds and of course your family,and hey dad you better watch soon she will be taking you to her fishing spots while she will be driving the boat...lol..lol..my little 5yr old girl loves to sit between my legs and drive the boat as well....we will have some compitition real soon....lol..lol cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: