Musky and the Conservation License

I know this topic gets kicked around but I am looking for definative answer.

A couple of weeks ago I was out fishing for Walleye and Bass with my boys and of course we catch a Musky and as anybody who fishes Scugog knows there is a very good chance of that happening, we of course release the nuisance Musky and return to fishing a few minutes later the boys from Durham Regional pull up in their rubber boat to check licenses and equipment and they ask hows the fishing we replied my son just released a Musky he then warns my son that he is not allowed to fish for Musky because of his conservation license I naturally reply that obviously we are not Musky fishing with light equipment and 8 pound line I was going to comment further on what the regulations actually say but I did not want to get into a argument.

I know it probably comes down to ones definition of possesion and if memory serves it does not state in the regulations that you can not fish for Musky with a conservation license it just states you must quickly and carefully release said fish.

I did some checking and I discovered that numerous lodges that specialize in Musky fishing offer packages that include conservation licenses.

Does anybody have the definative answer.

Guest gbfisher

Fish for them. Take a pic even as you take the hooks out and let it go. Just don't keep it for the dinner plate or the wall...THATS IT!

Enjoy your fishing.

Here is what is says from a MNR muskie mangement documnet.

Catch and Possession Limits

Historically, the daily catch limit for muskellunge was two fish. The catch limit was reduced to

one (1) fish with a maximum of two (2) fish in possession based on recommendations from the

1985 regulatory review. There is currently a catch and possession limit of zero (0) for anglers

holding a conservation licence, although they are legally allowed to angle for muskellunge, but

they must immediately release any fish that they catch. Most species of fish in Ontario have the

same catch and possession limits. This regulatio

Here is what is says from a MNR muskie mangement documnet.

Catch and Possession Limits

Historically, the daily catch limit for muskellunge was two fish. The catch limit was reduced to

one (1) fish with a maximum of two (2) fish in possession based on recommendations from the

1985 regulatory review. There is currently a catch and possession limit of zero (0) for anglers

holding a conservation licence, although they are legally allowed to angle for muskellunge, but

they must immediately release any fish that they catch. Most species of fish in Ontario have the

same catch and possession limits. This regulatio

Thanks for clarifying that for me mattyk.

Cheers

FOTB

:Gonefishing:

Heard same from 2 guys at Cesarea launch, mnr told them same lookinforwalleye was told-their not allowed to fish for muskie with con license. The regulations are clear-how can guys in field not know its legal?

A few times a summer I'll have guys with me who only bought conservation license-guess I need to carry regs.

Thanks for the replies, I got the info I needed off the MNR web site in the FAQ section, section 3 clearly states what is legal. It would be nice if the Durham Regional boys that are patrolling the lakes and advising people on what they can and can not do with respect to the MNR regulations actually knew the regulations.

I think I will print that info off and keep it in my Musky box.

I had been stopped here on LSC a few times when I only had a con licence fishing musky they had no problem with it at all. the only problem is if one dies on you then what I have since switched to a full licence but that is only to shut people up that have nothing better to do then bash concervation minded people about this and other things.

Bottom line go out have fun fish them and maybe keep the reg book or make them give you the ticket so you can go in and fight it and make them look like knobs.

Sorry I get a little peed when people start up on others that dont need a full licence

i called up the MNR office in aurora asking them the same thing. The guy on the phone says "Uh I'm not sure, you have to check the regulations book." I'll continue to target muskie with my conservation license, but maybe I'll rip out a page of the regulations book and carry it with me. I would just buy a sport fishing license, but I have the 3 year conservation one.

You got through to the MNR Rico?

I went through this question a few years back. You can fish for them just with a con. I bought the sport since if I did happen to hook one and it didnt survive.

Now what if you go to the trouble to upgrade and you cant release it,and it,s under slot?

You got through to the MNR Rico?

didnt take long, Aurora office took only 1 min.

Last week I caught me a a 30" muskie, but it completely engulfed my bucktail really deep. I had to make the choice of releasing it with a bucktail and all 3 trebles hooked in it's mouth, or trying to remove the hooks. I knew that it wouldve died if I had cut my line so I tried to remove the lure (without the muskie removing my fingers. Had a really hard time getting it out, and when I finally did, it was too late. Couldnt revive her. Felt really bad of releasing a floater, but knowing I had a conservation license, I had no choice.

didnt take long, Aurora office took only 1 min.

Last week I caught me a a 30" muskie, but it completely engulfed my bucktail really deep. I had to make the choice of releasing it with a bucktail and all 3 trebles hooked in it's mouth, or trying to remove the hooks. I knew that it wouldve died if I had cut my line so I tried to remove the lure (without the muskie removing my fingers. Had a really hard time getting it out, and when I finally did, it was too late. Couldnt revive her. Felt really bad of releasing a floater, but knowing I had a conservation license, I had no choice.

Cut the hooks! A 30"er is under the 36" minimum in the Kawarthas so you have no choice.

They've been DEPUTIZED....

LOL, just like Deputy Dawg!

Deputy Dawg:- Not to bright deputy sheriff who resided mainly in the jailhouse. Occasionally got the better of his adversaries but by far he ended up getting into trouble. Favourite expressions "Dag nabit" "Cotton pickin pesky"

Edited by pikehunter

its legal by the regs...

I just buy a sports license every year now out of principle anyway.

Its only a few extra bucks, and the MNR can use the Revenue.

No moral dilema, no legal dilema, and its money well spent...even if it is only a few bucks.

I have been purchasing the Sportsman license for my wife and I since I started fishing for musky a few years ago. I don't buy this license for the increased posession limits on any fish - as I have never kept my limit of any species. My wife and I also have no intention on keeping any musky that we would happen to catch - strictly C-P-R. There seems to be a grey line on conservation license and the interpretation of 'in possession'. I just but the Sportsman and let it be that. But - that's just me trying to hold off any potential problems - I'll spend the extra $$$.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Here is the link to that info quoted above:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/fishing/fmz/pdf/M...nge_toolkit.pdf

As stated, it claims it is legal to fish with a consevation licence, I'm all for that. Also mentioned though, why go through the hassels like many have on this board. I have the "total kill" er ah Sportmans licence just to save the headaches.

The easiest way to not worry if you`re doing something illegal is to spend the few extra bucks and get the sport licence... No problems at all..... Fish for whatever you want with no worries

Doug

totally agree.... there shouldnt even be a consv. lic. ( ontario is the only prov that offers one correct?)

Im suprised the bloodsuck'n Govt has'nt figured out that it would be an easy way to make a couple extra bucks for our gas thirsty CO's to only offer a sports license....

i've been pulled over by the OPP so many times now its not even funny. half of'em dont even know whats legal and what isnt. is fishing liscences and what not even part of there jurisdiction anyway? isnt bodies of water a Federal matter not a Provincial matter? i've always wondered this. i even asked an OPP officer and he couldnt give me a straight answer. but anyway as for the sport or conservation liscences.... i'm conservation all the way. not gonna keep any of the muskies i catch. only keep any other fish if its hooked deep. so why would i spend the extra bucks for a liscence that doesnt suit me? i'm not givin the government anymore money than they already screw me out of. its not like those few extra bucks ACTUALLY goes to the MNR.

i've been pulled over by the OPP so many times now its not even funny. half of'em dont even know whats legal and what isnt. is fishing liscences and what not even part of there jurisdiction anyway? isnt bodies of water a Federal matter not a Provincial matter? i've always wondered this. i even asked an OPP officer and he couldnt give me a straight answer. but anyway as for the sport or conservation liscences.... i'm conservation all the way. not gonna keep any of the muskies i catch. only keep any other fish if its hooked deep. so why would i spend the extra bucks for a liscence that doesnt suit me? i'm not givin the government anymore money than they already screw me out of. its not like those few extra bucks ACTUALLY goes to the MNR.

Yes the police (OPP or local) also have jursidiction over resource laws. It is clear that some of them do not have a complete grasp of the laws, and it's no wonder. We spend half our lives fishing (the other half wasted) and struggle with the laws sometimes.

All monies from licenses and from fines levied on resource violtors does indeed go to the MNR.

While the waterways are federally controlled, they usually direct reponsibilty to the province. The wildlife in the water is partly provincially regulated and part federally regulated.