Restoule Lake Report

Great report Aaron - had been wondering how you got on up there. I had a feeling you would get one of those Muskies. I bet that huge one gave Kristi a surprise, I don't think she thought you would catch one on those huge furry lures! The result would have been worth all that noise from your baitcaster reel too!! :)

Thanks again for letting me have the experience of fishing with you and sharing your boat. It was great to meet you both. If you're interested in seeing what other (smaller) fish live at Restoule - check out my report (probably on page 2 or 3 by now!) :(

Gavin (a.k.a 007)

Hey Aaron ,Ive been waiting to see the pic of that beast. We met at the boat lauch a couple of times( wheel bearing in the rain) ,to bad we didn't have better weather I would have loved to pound the muskies with you. Found out the last day there that the walleye were sweet on jig and leech combo, go figure . I tried almost every thing I know and still only got 4, but better than being skunked. There seemed to be a good population of smallies on the lake and managed one small largey. I marked fish at all depths over that lake and I'm certain had we had good weather for the week we would have done much better. I have to hit it again maybe in the fall ( no kids this time) After talking with the owners of Martins and listening to thier accounts I think Restoule or stormy have the potential to produce a world record muskie. Nice to see you and the missus made it home safe....Thom

Excellent report, pics, and fish!!! What kind of grub is on that Musky rig? It looks interesting.

You didn't say what kind of line you were using for the Largies in the Lilly pads, but super braids don't work very well at all, it will cut into the stalks and will be nearly impossible to land the fish. I prefer 20+lb.mono on a heavy (broomstick) rod.

Hey, thanks for the tip Greencoachdog. I was using braid, adn the fish did warp me around the stalks and get loose. I will spool up with 20lb mono and try that. I knew I must have been doing something wrong loosing all those fish. I was going nuts! Grub was from Bass Pro in the US I believe... I got it from my friend Steve. It is a twin tail. I normally use a large single clear silver fleck grub 5" long, but I ran out and robbed Steve's box :whistling:

Not a problem about the morning 007, it was enjoyable to have you out. Good luck on your fishing quests!

Thom, it is too bad about the weather, but we made the best of it. We still had a good time. It would have been good to get out muskie fishing with you. Kristi was a little bored at times and read a book. That's ok though, I still got to fish and pushed my luck with her reading a book under my rain suit while I was getting soaked fishing 'skies :thumbsup_anim: She was GREAT about it... man am I lucky.

Off on vacation again this week to fish hard core with friends this time. Muskies on Georgian Bay and a back lake, then to Halifax for sharks.. yep, I said sharks! :thumbsup_anim: Will post a report when I get back.

Good fishing!

Aaron

Excellent report, pics, and fish!!! What kind of grub is on that Musky rig? It looks interesting.

You didn't say what kind of line you were using for the Largies in the Lilly pads, but super braids don't work very well at all, it will cut into the stalks and will be nearly impossible to land the fish. I prefer 20+lb.mono on a heavy (broomstick) rod.

Edited by Aaron Shirley

Hey Aaron great report. I was there the same time you were i seen your explorer with the little blue tinny on top a few times last week around the park. You even talked to 12 year old son one day down at one of the ramps. I have been going up to fish restoule about 20 years now. we do real well for walleyes mostly on restoule and always hit a few muskies usually by accident every year. Looks like you hit that one just to the left of the boat dock on stormy,maybe by the small rock or the river mouth,nice fish. Last year we hooked 2 about that size in the same area.This year we spent most of our time on restoule dew mostly to the crappy weather ,but we had a few 20 fish evenings with the walleyes. Nextt time you fish the area go down the river on stormy towards the dam some great smallie areas along the river. Then below the dam is Lennon Lake which also holds a few muskies. Also on the back road lake if you keep going past sand lake you can get to Shoal Lake which has some great walleye and pike fishing. it is a rough ride but worth it.

Guest Johnny Bass

WOW! I must have missed this report. Nice dark Musky!! I have always wanted to fish Restoule but always end up driving past it to Nipissing!

Hello Aaron,

Great Musky and Smallie. I am heading out to Restoule Provincial park. I was wondering where you found the thick cover on which lake? I am not familiar with the area it is my first time heading out there therefore any information would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on going after Smallies LM pike and Walleye.

• 1 year later...

Hi Aaron,

I stumbled upon your post while looking for a fishing/hunting camp my family would visit yearly from the states when I was little. You mentioned Stormy Lake and Clear Lake. I remember fishing these lakes, assuming these are the same ones! We would drive to Restoule, stop at Gerry's General Store and then drive to the boat ramp where we would have to take about an hour boat ride through the narrows to Clear Lake Camp. This was in the '70s. We would love to visit this camp again, but cannot find any mention of it anywhere on the web. Are you familiar with and camps on Clear Lake? This one was owned by Mel and Ruby Olsen (sp?) and then was take over by their son Glen. Any info you might have would be much appreciated!! I have such great childhood memories of fishing in Canada and looking for the northern lights :Gonefishing:

Thanks!

The Shaffer Family from Ohio, USA

Hi Aaron,

I stumbled upon your post while looking for a fishing/hunting camp my family would visit yearly from the states when I was little. You mentioned Stormy Lake and Clear Lake. I remember fishing these lakes, assuming these are the same ones! We would drive to Restoule, stop at Gerry's General Store and then drive to the boat ramp where we would have to take about an hour boat ride through the narrows to Clear Lake Camp. This was in the '70s. We would love to visit this camp again, but cannot find any mention of it anywhere on the web. Are you familiar with and camps on Clear Lake? This one was owned by Mel and Ruby Olsen (sp?) and then was take over by their son Glen. Any info you might have would be much appreciated!! I have such great childhood memories of fishing in Canada and looking for the northern lights :Gonefishing:

Thanks!

The Shaffer Family from Ohio, USA

Clear Lake Camp has been sold I believe and doesnt really do much anymore although I beleive they still have their regulars come in. Not sure how to get in touch with them.

• 3 months later...

nice fish aaron, went to restoule about 7 years ago, one large follower right around the narrows between clear and stormy.wondering what logging road lake you fished. was it sandy or possible shoal. i had a bass boat at the time, so i only drove in to look with the truck. have a smaller boat i can get in there now. any info on the lakes and species in them would be awesome. thanks.