A deeper dive into Lithium batteries

17 hours ago, Raycaster said:

This is a great topic with content.

Just looking at this also as Im farting around with good/bad batteries.

Are there disadvantages of just going to a 24v battery? Charger?

Pros - Space and a little weight are some of the saving you would get with running a 24V battery. Another plus is the batteries not getting out of sync which can happen when you run 2 12 volts in series. That won't happen with a 24V.  There is only 1 BMS to deal with as well. Charging connectivity is very simple for whichever onboard charger you use. 

Cons - No other use for the battery... just dedicated trolling motor. Chargers are a bit more expensive and you have less brand options types. You will need 2 chargers for the boat 1 for trolling motor and a 12 volt for cranking or house battery. 

I am sure there are more on both sides... but just a couple off the top of my head.

BM

10 hours ago, Raycaster said:

BillM, you may be right(probably) and my electrical math rusty but won't a 24V 100ah be equal to 2 @12v 100ah in series?

Nope, I think I'm wrong :thumbsup_anim:  Voltage increases, capacity doesn't.    I blame this on not fishing enough this season :) 

I find 2 1 volt batteries  are easier to store the one big 24 volt and batteries so crap out 

if the 24 volt battery craps out you buy a new one ,expensive 

if a 12 volt battery dies you replace the one that crapped out and save half the money

but that’s just me 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Terry said:

I find 2 1 volt batteries  are easier to store the one big 24 volt and batteries so crap out 

if the 24 volt battery craps out you buy a new one ,expensive 

if a 12 volt battery dies you replace the one that crapped out and save half the money

but that’s just me 

Also.... In case of an emergency. You could pull the batteries out of your boat and run them with an inverter to power all sorts of things. Fridge, Freezer, even furnace for a short period of time. When moving into Lithium I went it with a "what else can I use these things for". Still 98% of the time they will just be for the trolling motor... but in a pinch.... I could have power anywhere.