winch replacement

Took the boat out for the first time of the season yesterday...good news and bad. Boat worked great as it always has since I owned it,  but when winching it up the last few feet on the trailer the winch stopped working. It was like the gears got stripped or something. Today I pulled the winch mount off...it was secured with 2 bolts. Do replacement winches usually have a universal bolt pattern? 

• Like 1

I know the one I got from princess auto 15y ago had many different mounting holes.  It’s a two speed with a strap.  I put it on low gear because I don’t back in very far and i winch the boat on.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I have been looking on line and found a "Camco 50000" winch on Amazon which has good reviews. Some of the pictures seem to show the same bolt pattern that I had on last winch...a bolt sized hole in one spot, and then a bit of a slot where the other bolt goes (allowing for a bit of flexibility of spacing). That is probably what I will do since I don't have  a Princess Auto nearby. Had a look at some at Cdn Tire but they had poor reviews. The dirt cheap price didn't instill confidence either. 

Have not had to use a winch in about 8+ years now. Just pull the float boat up,deflate,roll and well,Bob,maybe Jay or Bill,is your uncle.

2 hours ago, Rizzo said:

since I don't have  a Princess Auto nearby.

You could of asked,and I would of bought and shipped,,,,,,,,,

3 hours ago, misfish said:

Have not had to use a winch in about 8+ years now. Just pull the float boat up,deflate,roll and well,Bob,maybe Jay or Bill,is your uncle.

You could of asked,and I would of bought and shipped,,,,,,,,,

kind of you to offer but looks like I have it figured out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rizzo said:

arrived today and installed in minutes! Holes line up perfectly. Need to get the boat launched again to put the winch to the test! 

I'm still curious as to what actually failed on your old winch, if it was a stripped gear it should still have turned.

20 hours ago, smitty55 said:

I'm still curious as to what actually failed on your old winch, if it was a stripped gear it should still have turned.

It did still turn, just had no power move anything

14 hours ago, Looduale said:

a small world cup

Have you tried yet? What were the results?

Yes I used it in the garage. When the winch broke we didn't quite have the boat as snug to the front as we would have liked. Just hauled it forward the last couple inches no problem.