Electronics on a fly-in trip

BassMan11

Gearing up for my fly in trip this year I thought about what I should bring for electronics. I usually bring a standard Helix 5 with GPS portable and a zero lines card to map out some spots. But is it crazy to think maybe bring the 9" Garmin and Panoptix? On days where fish maybe aren't where their supposed to be it would help the learning curve. Also nothing better than watching fish eat your bait while jigging on top of them. But obviously there are pros and cons. This is also assuming you have a generator to charge batteries etc... 

Thoughts?

BM

If they don’t have any weigh limits on the plane and if they have a generator, I would bring it

i have always had trouble keeping under the weight limit on the plane , having to decide if I should leave the bottled water or the beer in the truck cause I’m over the limit 

For me, part of the attraction of a fly-in trip is it takes you back to a time when things were simpler. A chance to disconnect...literally and figuratively. I haven't ever been on a fly-in where catching "enough" fish had been an issue.

That being said...we always struggle with the weight limits because the line between "must have" and "nice to have" is a fuzzy one. Although, if someone ever invents freeze-dried beer (with alcohol)...I'll be first in line as an investor.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 11:55 AM, BassMan11 said:

Gearing up for my fly in trip this year I thought about what I should bring for electronics. I usually bring a standard Helix 5 with GPS portable and a zero lines card to map out some spots. But is it crazy to think maybe bring the 9" Garmin and Panoptix? On days where fish maybe aren't where their supposed to be it would help the learning curve. Also nothing better than watching fish eat your bait while jigging on top of them. But obviously there are pros and cons. This is also assuming you have a generator to charge batteries etc... 

Thoughts?

BM

Bring the best you can and manage. New water? You'll need an edge.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming the weight isn't an issue nor is the generator, I lean towards bringing them.  You never can trust the weather, we've had cold fronts come in and shut everything down. It was only the "spots within the spots" that we actually were able to get fish.  I have also found its a more relaxing pace to figure out and play with all the functions the unit has to offer. 

I upgraded to lithium ion batteries, and was impressed with the performance.  Lighter and last a lot longer with my portable unit. 

Well I finally booked the trip so now I know what we can mange. They have a generator so i'll be brining the big unit. Found a BNIB Garmin 2d/structure scan transducer for $120 on marketplace. 

Will upgrade to a lithium closer to the trip and feel better about the ability to locate fish in case the weather doesn't cooperate. 

Now the fly in planning has begun.... can't wait for June.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I'm the first in line when new electronics come out for fishing...I welcome all the help I can get.

But this thread reminds me of a trip we did to Lawrence Bay Lodge on Reindeer Lake in northern Saskatchewan a few years back. All the fishing at the lodge is guided...the guides are all local First Nations folks. Our guide was "Albert" a grizzled old bear of a man who chain-smoked filterless Exports and cooked up the best shore lunches I've ever had. When I first got on his boat, I looked around and didn't see a fish finder/sonar anywhere. I asked Albert..."what no electronics ?". He replied with a grunt..."well it wouldn't be fishing then, would it".