If I could have only 1 rod (casting edition)

KraTToR

Interestingly enough I bought a used Dobyns Champion 734C and this damn thing does just about everything well.  I've had several reels on it and now I'm sitting satisfied with a Shimano Calcutta 200D. Its classified as "fast" action but its just a tad slower but not near fast/moderate. I'm going ahead and getting a 2nd, the only repeat I'll have in my arsenal of 20 rods/reels.  Rather than state applications, I've used it for everything in the 1/4 to 1-1/4 oz category.. it just works!  Needless to say, this one is not up for sale 😄

• Like 1

Tough to pick one rod that will handle every application and presentation (I assume we're talkin' Bass)...like you I have a bunch of rods (I couldn't even give you a number if you asked me ...lol)

BUT if I had to pick one it would be an Expride 72 MHF. It's sweet spot is 1/2 oz...great with 3/8oz bottom contact, but will fish swim baits and does particularly well with chatter baits. A little faster than I'd like for horizontal presentations like crankin', but it still has some mid-blank bend that'll keep them pinned. And a little under gunned for flippin the jungle and froggin'. It's not mod-fast, but certainly not extra fast either. It's also a very pretty rod. IMO, the quality for the price point is the best on the market today.

I have to say my only experience with Dobyns has been somewhat disappointing. I have a Champion Extreme HP 702SF...I bought it for finesse spinning....drop shot, ned, etc. One of my buddies swears by Dobyns, and I was in J Pro one day and the guy cut me a real good deal ...so it was kind of an impulse buy (aren't they all..lol). Dont get me wrong, it's a very good rod, it's just that at that price point I was expecting more. I find it somewhat heavy in hand (more to do with the way it balances) and the sensitivity is OK at best. The biggest reason I don't pull it out very often is the grip...no cork in front of the reel, so doesn't really work that great with the way I hold a spinning rod. Like I said, I have pals that love Dobyns and my experience is with only the one spinning model, but I'd be reluctant to buy another.

For those that think I'm over thinking things ("its a rod, it catches fish")...what can I say, I'm a tackle nerd..

Edited by CrowMan

I have several 3 pc travel rods...St.Croix's and TFO's. Only use them if I'm flying somewhere...they fit in the overhead or a suitcase. However, if I could take a one piece with me, I would...not a fan of multi-piece rods. They'll be getting a workout this winter...leaving for Belize on Boxing Day for 2 weeks. I'll be bringing 3..ML for Bonefish, MH for Permit/Barracuda and XH for Tarpon. I know that sounds excessive, but you can't toss a 1/8oz Bonefish jig on a Tarpon rod, and you're not going to land a Tarpon with a fairy wand...and if you're bringing 2, might as well bring 3...lol

Edited by CrowMan

Expride but I’d go with the medium

my favourite rod, could realistically do absolutely anything. Jerkbait, top water, cranking, could fish a lighter jig on it too. 

only thing you couldn’t obviously do is flip heavy cover with it on a punch rig. But aside from that it could do it all

On 10/26/2023 at 8:55 AM, CrowMan said:

Tough to pick one rod that will handle every application and presentation (I assume we're talkin' Bass)...like you I have a bunch of rods (I couldn't even give you a number if you asked me ...lol)

BUT if I had to pick one it would be an Expride 72 MHF. It's sweet spot is 1/2 oz...great with 3/8oz bottom contact, but will fish swim baits and does particularly well with chatter baits. A little faster than I'd like for horizontal presentations like crankin', but it still has some mid-blank bend that'll keep them pinned. And a little under gunned for flippin the jungle and froggin'. It's not mod-fast, but certainly not extra fast either. It's also a very pretty rod. IMO, the quality for the price point is the best on the market today.

I have to say my only experience with Dobyns has been somewhat disappointing. I have a Champion Extreme HP 702SF...I bought it for finesse spinning....drop shot, ned, etc. One of my buddies swears by Dobyns, and I was in J Pro one day and the guy cut me a real good deal ...so it was kind of an impulse buy (aren't they all..lol). Dont get me wrong, it's a very good rod, it's just that at that price point I was expecting more. I find it somewhat heavy in hand (more to do with the way it balances) and the sensitivity is OK at best. The biggest reason I don't pull it out very often is the grip...no cork in front of the reel, so doesn't really work that great with the way I hold a spinning rod. Like I said, I have pals that love Dobyns and my experience is with only the one spinning model, but I'd be reluctant to buy another.

For those that think I'm over thinking things ("its a rod, it catches fish")...what can I say, I'm a tackle nerd..

i'm a tackle nerd as well. I have 21 combos (bass/walleye/pike/muski) not including trolling :0.

I was a Dobyn's pro staff back in '17/`18 and even Gary stated that his favorite line was the champ. xp, not the extreme. However, I have 2 extremes (JWR and Pitchin stick) and I love them both. For the light spinning stuff, i'm using Megabass Orochiis which IMHO offer the best value out there.  YMMV

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KraTToR said:

i'm a tackle nerd as well. I have 21 combos (bass/walleye/pike/muski) not including trolling :0.

I was a Dobyn's pro staff back in '17/`18 and even Gary stated that his favorite line was the champ. xp, not the extreme. However, I have 2 extremes (JWR and Pitchin stick) and I love them both. For the light spinning stuff, i'm using Megabass Orochiis which IMHO offer the best value out there.  YMMV

I'm with ya on MegaBass. My favourite finesse spinning stick is the Addermine in the Destroyer line up. I talked about it in a thread last year.

https://ontariofishingcommunity.com/topic/90804-wacky-rigs/#comment-1082817

Which model Orochi do you like ?

40 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

I'm with ya on MegaBass. My favourite finesse spinning stick is the Addermine in the Destroyer line up. I talked about it in a thread last year.

https://ontariofishingcommunity.com/topic/90804-wacky-rigs/#comment-1082817

Which model Orochi do you like ?

I currenly own the whipsnake. Paired with a 2000 luvious and running 6# shooter invisible. Killer setup with NED and Dropshots. I like how much backbone the rod has for such a light setup. One of the others is on my list for next year, not sure which yet. Need to put them in my hand..lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KraTToR said:

I currenly own the whipsnake. Paired with a 2000 luvious and running 6# shooter invisible. Killer setup with NED and Dropshots. I like how much backbone the rod has for such a light setup. One of the others is on my list for next year, not sure which yet. Need to put them in my hand..lol

As an update from my post last year...MB reintroduced the Addermine after discontinuing it for a couple of years. Check it out if you like a finesse rod with plenty of mid blank power. Definitely more balls than a Whipsnake.

There's a noticeable difference (weight and sensitivity) moving up to the Destroyer blanks.

7 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

As an update from my post last year...MB reintroduced the Addermine after discontinuing it for a couple of years. Check it out if you like a finesse rod with plenty of mid blank power. Definitely more balls than a Whipsnake.

There's a noticeable difference (weight and sensitivity) moving up to the Destroyer blanks.

Great... :(

lol

Not gonna lie gents, after owning both the orochi and destroyer and fishing a levante, I think I’m done with megabass rods. 

the only consideration is that I will agree, the 110 special destroyer is almost “too perfect” at throwing the 110, it’s probably the most perfectly assigned technique specific rod I have ever owned…but all of this doesn’t add up when it comes to the actual robustness and ruggedness of the rods. Quite simply, I’ve never had a rod over $200 break so unless it’s branded megabass. Maybe it’s a stroke of bad luck…but 3 times??? I think that’s more of a pattern?

I’ll tell you, there’s nothing more painful then picking up a $500+ rod and it simply snapping in half for no apparent reason. 

I know, I know I’m supposed to baby the destroyers because they are “finesse” I use rod socks and reel covers and ride a bass boat, the rods are stored in a carpeted locker, yes they get put up on the deck in tournaments, a man has to fish no?

Edited by AKRISONER

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Not gonna lie gents, after owning both the orochi and destroyer and fishing a levante, I think I’m done with megabass rods. 

the only consideration is that I will agree, the 110 special destroyer is almost “too perfect” at throwing the 110, it’s probably the most perfectly assigned technique specific rod I have ever owned…but all of this doesn’t add up when it comes to the actual robustness and ruggedness of the rods. Quite simply, I’ve never had a rod over $200 break so unless it’s branded megabass. Maybe it’s a stroke of bad luck…but 3 times??? I think that’s more of a pattern?

I’ll tell you, there’s nothing more painful then picking up a $500+ rod and it simply snapping in half for no apparent reason. 

I know, I know I’m supposed to baby the destroyers because they are “finesse” I use rod socks and reel covers and ride a bass boat, the rods are stored in a carpeted locker, yes they get put up on the deck in tournaments, a man has to fish no?

It seems that all of the "high performance" rods have some reported issues. Just Google "( insert brand) breakage problems" and you'll find a bunch of threads on various forums on how that particular brand has issues. When you're mfgr'ing a stick that weighs mere ounces but gets loaded with multiple pounds of torque....shyte happens.

I have 3 MB rods (all Destroyers) that get pretty heavily used and abused..and haven't had a problem yet 🤞. I also have 4 young grandkids that I often fish with...and believe me that's a disaster waiting to happen. The only rod I've had an issue with was a St. Croix....and SC's are generally pretty robust blanks. I had a LT 6'10" ML XF spinning that I primarily used for drop shotting. About 3 months in with it, I snapped it on a hook set between the 2nd and 3rd eye from the tip. I returned it to SC (great customer service) and they sent me a new one. That one, the next year, after 2 months of use snapped in the exact same place. At that point, I just had them upgrade it to an LT MHF casting rod (no charge) as I just felt cursed with that particular model. Never have had any other issues with SC.

I guess if folks want something that's truly unbreakable, you can always get an Ugly Stick. Keep in mind, a 7' med Ugly Stick spinning weighs 11 oz vs 4 oz or so for a MB, Expride, LT, GLX or similar. Have fun trying to feel anything with that rod...but hey, it's the #1 selling rod in North America, so who am I to judge...lol

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I've heard of several cases where NRXs getting replaced under warranty as well. For me, the Orochii is as far north as I'm going to go unless I win that lottery..lol

I mean of course my evidence is anecdotal, but I’ve never been in a boat with someone or personally broken a loomis rod. 

megabass…I think I’ve witnessed or been the unfortunate victim now 6? Times

and trust me, I’ve got some absolutely poop kickers in my arsenal. A decade of abuse including trips into the bush and years before I owned a bass boat being thrown around an aluminum tinner. 

in fact I’ve beat the rods up so bad over the years that an insert from the eyelet on my gl2 finally popped and the top eyelet on my DSR now rotates and needs to be reglued. Those rods have rust on the hook keepers and chunks of cork missing they’ve been fished hard like a rod is supposed to be and truthfully we’re two of the first higher end rods I ever purchased, and they were bought out of necessity because I was finally realizing that anything that wasn’t at mid range in the 250+ range was failing me. They couldn’t hold up to the hours we were putting in. 

I personally don’t own any high end st croix for bass fishing, only a couple of mojo’s ice rods and ultra lights…honestly their high end stuff hasn’t impressed when I’ve had the opportunity to fish them in general hence the lack of my interest.

honestly, I think I’ve narrowed my stuff down that if I’m buying it’s either 

loomis

evergreen

Expride…they and specifically the latter two because those two rods are without a single doubt in my mind the best value on the market right now and it’s not particularly close. The evergreens routinely go on sale for $150 and fish like an orochi and the exprides are $350? And fish like an $800+ conquest.

Edited by AKRISONER

49 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I mean of course my evidence is anecdotal, but I’ve never been in a boat with someone or personally broken a loomis rod. 

megabass…I think I’ve witnessed or been the unfortunate victim now 6? Times

and trust me, I’ve got some absolutely poop kickers in my arsenal. A decade of abuse including trips into the bush and years before I owned a bass boat being thrown around an aluminum tinner. 

in fact I’ve beat the rods up so bad over the years that an insert from the eyelet on my gl2 finally popped and the top eyelet on my DSR now rotates and needs to be reglued. Those rods have rust on the hook keepers and chunks of cork missing they’ve been fished hard like a rod is supposed to be and truthfully we’re two of the first higher end rods I ever purchased, and they were bought out of necessity because I was finally realizing that anything that wasn’t at mid range in the 250+ range was failing me. They couldn’t hold up to the hours we were putting in. 

I personally don’t own any high end st croix for bass fishing, only a couple of mojo’s ice rods and ultra lights…honestly their high end stuff hasn’t impressed when I’ve had the opportunity to fish them in general hence the lack of my interest.

honestly, I think I’ve narrowed my stuff down that if I’m buying it’s either 

loomis

evergreen

Expride…they and specifically the latter two because those two rods are without a single doubt in my mind the best value on the market right now and it’s not particularly close. The evergreens routinely go on sale for $150 and fish like an orochi and the exprides are $350? And fish like an $800+ conquest.

I'm with ya on the Expride bandwagon...just wish they made Musky rods....not a lot of choice in that segment  

5 hours ago, CrowMan said:

I guess if folks want something that's truly unbreakable, you can always get an Ugly Stick. Keep in mind, a 7' med Ugly Stick spinning weighs 11 oz vs 4 oz or so for a MB, Expride, LT, GLX or similar. Have fun trying to feel anything with that rod...but hey, it's the #1 selling rod in North America, so who am I to judge...lol

If I could only have one rod (that's never gonna happen) it would never be an Ugly Stick of any kind, ever!  ;)

• Like 1

I’ve had good luck with my St. Croix Premiers over the years, spinning, casting or musky applications.  Bought the majority of them used for around a 100 bucks.  For me and my budget that makes them the best bang for the buck. I’d love to get my hands on some of the high end stuff mentioned in this thread but tough for me to justify the expenditure. 

44 minutes ago, Weeds said:

I’d love to get my hands on some of the high end stuff mentioned in this thread but tough for me to justify the expenditure. 

When I was young I spent all my money on "wine, women, and song". In middle age, it was mortgages and university tuitions. Now that I'm a geezer, fishing tackle is all that's left to spend my money on..lol

• Like 3

Don’t get it twisted, 90% of my gear is used, it’s the only way to afford being in the game. My boat just blew its motor…I need to sell rods if anything now.

I’ve got some mid range gear I’ve been trying to sell and it won’t move some of it even brand new discounted to 50% off. No one’s buying fishing tackle and boats at the moment. 

• Sad 1

I run St.Croix for the warranty alone.   Avid and the Victory line for everything but muskie.   Legend and Premier for the big fish.    I did have to warranty a new Victory because the foregrip came loose on the blank, but that's about it.    The replacement should be here soon enough.

For muskie, I don't think there's much better then the St.Croix Legend when it comes to price vs performance.

On 10/25/2023 at 7:15 PM, KraTToR said:

Interestingly enough I bought a used Dobyns Champion 734C and this damn thing does just about everything well.  I've had several reels on it and now I'm sitting satisfied with a Shimano Calcutta 200D. Its classified as "fast" action but its just a tad slower but not near fast/moderate. I'm going ahead and getting a 2nd, the only repeat I'll have in my arsenal of 20 rods/reels.  Rather than state applications, I've used it for everything in the 1/4 to 1-1/4 oz category.. it just works!  Needless to say, this one is not up for sale 😄

This was the first Dobyns rod I ever bought when they were first introduced (well... 2nd Gen since first one was recalled) and have to agree with you. It is probably the most versatile stick in my arsenal. When my local dealer stopped carrying them, I switched to Exprides and Poison Adrena's and now would find it hard to go back to Dobyns. The Shimano's aren't quite good enough for me to want to sell my Dobyns but I doubt I will be buying anymore. 

So last year I bought my dream rod, the Loomis IMX Pro MBR 903C, 7'6 MH fast action, 1/4 to 3/4 oz lures

its incredible. 

the MH power with the 7'6 length is amazing, its a rocket launcher caster and very sensitive. I use it for everything, and have caught everything from perch to muskie on it. 

I have mine paired with a Curado 200i with 12 pound test Sufix Siege.

Highly recommended rod. It was pricey for sure, but worth every penny. Everything about it screams high end. 

20230915_150533.jpg

Don't get me wrong...Loomis makes absolutely fantastic blanks. The IMX Pro is great value, the GLX is as good as anything out there, and the NRX+ is in a class on its own...nothing else comes close.

But the build quality sucks. Compared to MB or even Expride at a fraction of the price, the NRX+ looks like it was put together by a high schooler in shop class. It's just that for a $900 rod you would expect better wrapping, fit and finish. I have to give credit to the Japanese...they sure know how to make a rod look "purrty".

That being said...yeah I know, the fish don't care...lol

• Like 1

yeah I think Loomis has improved a lot on the build quality issues, they have received a lot of criticism over thread wrapping gaps etc. 

When the NRX's first came out it was a disaster lol  As you said, fish don't care but for $900 the customer sure as hell does lol

That being said, the build quality of both of my imx pro rods is perfect: 

so I think a lot of the previous issues are gone hopefully for good. 

1599821332_284646055_10159038895713401_2755229857774511873_n.jpg.c7c36805e51140a6e4651e32d1eb940c(1).jpg.568168f8e222779611deb43cff4922ca.jpg.8c98818ef55d3ef9b7a47ecb1d2ea204.jpg

• Like 1