your favourite flourocarbon leader brand?

siwash

Depends on what I'm using it for.   I've been using Phantom flouro on my centerpin setups for years (4-8lb), super string and price is right.    If I'm spring pike fishing I'll use 30/40lb Seaguar.   Everyday bass fishing 20lb whatever.   Muskie, unless I'm trolling I've converted over to solid wire for everything.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Depends on what I'm using it for.   I've been using Phantom flouro on my centerpin setups for years (4-8lb), super string and price is right.    If I'm spring pike fishing I'll use 30/40lb Seaguar.   Everyday bass fishing 20lb whatever.   Muskie, unless I'm trolling I've converted over to solid wire for everything.

Are you spooling whole reels with it or just for leader use?

22 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Sunline fc sniper.

I only use straight fluro on hard bait bait casting set ups. Like for cranking and spybaiting.

straight mono for jerkbaits

braid to fluro or straight braid for essentially everything else.

topwater use mono for your leader because it floats.

I was at Basspro and the guy helping me (who seemed very knowledgeable otherwsie) discouraged me from spooling a whole reel with flouro. 

What's your go-to flouro for a whole spool of it, Akrisoner? 

29 minutes ago, siwash said:

I was at Basspro and the guy helping me (who seemed very knowledgeable otherwsie) discouraged me from spooling a whole reel with flouro. 

What's your go-to flouro for a whole spool of it, Akrisoner? 

Sunline fc sniper in 14 or 16lb

throw a crank bait on it once you get the hang of really handling a baitcaster and you’ll never go back. 

takes lots of practice to be able to really bomb casts with straight fluro so I don’t recommend it if you are still learning to use a baitcaster. Don’t get discouraged, you will birdnest, you’ll notice even guys on the elite series bird nest occasionally, you just learn how to get them out without too much hassle. 

• Like 1

I was thinking more for the spinning outfits.. I am happy with PP on my baitcaster. 

Would you use that Sunline FC (straight through) on a spinning setup fishing with a jig, tube, worm, live bait or drop shot? 

Edited by siwash

Absolutely not lol

line management becomes a nightmare regardless of how good your line is, plus most techniques you are using a spinning outfit with

1. You need maximum sensitivity, braid has no stretch so it translates back up to the rod.

2. I like high vis braid so you can visibly detect your line when it hits bottom and when fish bite.

I’ll tell you right now, every single one of the top pros that fish smallmouth on spinning outfits is using braid to fluro…if it’s what they are doing, it’s probably what you want to be doing as well.

Edited by AKRISONER

37 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

The only time I might run fluoro as mainline on a spinning outfit is when fishing spybaits....and it would be 6lb so not so stiff. Even then...with spybaits I just run a very long fluoro leader off the braid on spinning gear..

i personally throw spybaits on a baitcasting outfit. Im kinda lucky though, years ago as I was building my arsenal of fishing rods and i picked up an oldschool loomis CBR783c on the cheap. Its supposed to be a ML cranking rod, but its kinda weird, its almost overly parabolic. I guess it may be great for throwing really small cranks...either way sure enough, its a bloody perfect spybait rod.  Because of its gummyness it has a delayed load which i find actually allows the fish to choke the spybait before they feel the resistance of the rod. When the rod was made I dont even think the spybait was invented yet.

• Thanks 1

I have not use leader specific material in years. It was hard for me to justify buy a 25 yard spool of leader material in 6-8lb test when I could get fluorocarbon spools of 200 yards for double the price. 

With that being the case, I absolutely love Tatsu but the price of it turns me to alternate solutions. Like mentioned quite a few times, I use Sunline FC sniper. At half the price of Tatsu, it is not quite just as good but I would say about 85-90% there. 

If you truly want leader material, they offer that in a 50 yard spool in FC sniper as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2023 at 8:23 AM, CrowMan said:

The only time I might run fluoro as mainline on a spinning outfit is when fishing spybaits....and it would be 6lb so not so stiff. Even then...with spybaits I just run a very long fluoro leader off the braid on spinning gear..

How long is long Crosman?