Well.....SO some bees got loose

BITEME

Not really....... they were just branching out looking to start a family in a new home. We usually have it happen a couple times a year generally we can catch it before they decide to swarm  .Only one queen in a hive they will try to kill each other. 

i have a video from one of our hives of a new queen emerging and calling out and the actual current queen come over and stab her to death  it was very cool to see

Anyway GREETINGS FROM THE EAST!!!!

that was about 20 feet up 

Cheers

BITEME

20200726_100717.jpg

IMG_1893.jpeg

Edited by BITEME
Technical difficulties
  • Like 1

I would say I get stung about 20 or 30 times a year

they really put the boots to me the other night we were holding a fundraiser at work and I was pulling a frame of honey for the event usually they are pretty mellow in my back yard considering the beating they take all year well they were having nothing to do with giving up that frame got me about a dozen times chased me around the greenhouse twice 

still got my frame of honey though

🤘

Nice.. Over the years ive only had one swarm that I know of... and got it back.. I usually leave ALOT of room for them.  Did pretty well this year.. 450lbs of honey and 60 lbs of honeycomb.  Did get stung a couple times on extraction day.. but hey its the price you pay!

39 minutes ago, TJQ said:

Nice.. Over the years ive only had one swarm that I know of... and got it back.. I usually leave ALOT of room for them.  Did pretty well this year.. 450lbs of honey and 60 lbs of honeycomb.  Did get stung a couple times on extraction day.. but hey its the price you pay!

Hey how are you Boss Man

hope all is well with you and your family.

nice haul on the honey, it’s a tough hobby/business I’m good with cost of entry tough place on this island to do bees. Lots of moisture and being in the mixing bowl a crap shoot although there is no way you could get me off here

really thanks for the reply!

check out the face thingy page Cape island apiaries

and if for some reason if you can find the OFC song and a certain jumla video I would really like a copy

enjoy life peace out!!!!!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I know bees are an important part of natures design; but I hate the little F%#@ERS!!!! Over the years I have grow allergic to their stings. Was stung twice this year once on my lower lip and another time on my upper lip. The lower lip sting wasn't that bad; just the lip had swollen up twice it's size for a couple of days. Do any of you know how hard it is to drink a rye and coke with a fat lip? Had to wring my shirt out to get the rest of my booze! LOL The upper lip though, the whole side of my face had swollen up to the point my right eye had swollen shut. Been to the doctor and he's prescribed and Epipen for me. I've been stung in the past with no ill affect; other than holly crap that hurt like hell!!!! Now according to the Dr. it could be life threatening? 

Dan..,

Edited by DanD

55 minutes ago, DanD said:

Do any of you know how hard it is to drink a rye and coke with a fat lip? Had to wring my shirt out to get the rest of my booze!

Had a good friend who was totally blind over one day and we were sitting at the picnic table having a beer. Neither of us saw it but a bee ended up sitting on the top of Buddies beer bottle and when he took a swig it got him in the lip and just like you Dan his face puffed up like a balloon. From then until the day he died he always kept his thumb over the top of the bottle...just incase.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 9:15 AM, lew said:

I got swarmed and stung about 40 times and ended up in  hospital a few years ago and never want to get that close to those furry little critters again Pete LOL

musky opener around 6 years ago on St Clair my boat got swarmed. We saw 10 bees then suddenly 100 then suddenly we had thousands on our heads/bodies and the boat. Problem is we had planers out so we couldn't outrun the bees. Jumping in the water wouldn't help. Water was only 59. Also, then the bees would have the boat. Had to bring in all the gear first (10 minutes having hundreds of bees on me?). Once gear was in we took off and gently persuaded the bees to become airborne. Stopped a km or 2 away and waited. 10 bees, hundred bees then thousands of bees right back with us. THAT time when we bolted we went about 10 kms to make sure they didn't follow! Yes, we got stung a few times but nothing crazy 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 4:39 PM, TJQ said:

Bees are nice... wasps love drinks.. and are dicks.. lol

Yes--big diff. Bees normally don't sting unless provoked. Wasps are agressive and nasty, like to buzz around food, beer. etc.  I got a wasp trap for my deck. I've had to dump it out a couple of times because the new arrivals were just walking on the corpses of earlier ones. I took a certain amount of sadistic pleasure in seeing them drown.

• Like 2