St. Lawrence Muskie Fishing

Hi all,

This will be my 2nd year targeting muskies on the st. lawrence I have fish the thousands island area last year and this year with not much luck. I'm planning on fishing the cornwall area this upcoming season. I was wondering if anyone would have some tips on the area i'm open to casting and trolling. Thank you

Unfortunately the Musky fishery on the Larry has been in serious decline for a couple of decades, and now is pretty well on its death bed...

https://bluefishcanada.ca/the-death-of-the-st-lawrence-musky-fishery/

If you're looking to target them in Eastern Ontario you'll have much better odds on the Ottawa River. Invest in spending a day with guide John Anderson...it'll dramatically shorten the learning curve..

https://ottawarivermuskyfactory.com/

Edited by CrowMan

CrowMan, I have read that article before very interesting. I have also heard of Mr. Anderson before. I have reached out to several St. Lawrence guides and Ottawa guides apparently most of them are booked for the season already. I will be out searching for these fish in the cornwall area this season hopefully the odds are better than the thousand islands.

IMO, the OMNR and NYSDEC should close that fishery completely (at least for a few years) to give the fish at least somewhat of a chance of recovering. It would be a real shame to forever lose the genetics of that magnificent strain that once regularly produced 60" + fish..

Trolling especially really takes a toll even with the best of c&r practices...

If anyone can put you on Muskies in the Larry it's Marc Thorpe. Mind, he is out of the Montreal area. Google him for contact info. I am guessing he may already be booked for the season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whopper said:

I actually have a picture of Lew in a full all out smile taken at Lakair. Going to have dig in to the archives to find it 😁

Lots to smile about at Lakair back then Phil, fun times 😊

• Like 3

You might want to try Roy Brunner 1-613-561-5079 He guides out of Treasure Island Marina just east of Kingston and is known locally as Muskie Ace. I know it's not Cornwall but there are still a lot of musky being caught in this area. Timing is everything there seems to be periods where many fish are caught.

Edited by RandyLinden

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Lots of guys guiding on the Larry.   

Lots of guys for sure Bill and this is only my opinion but I'd second what someone said above and try and get out with Marc Thorpe if possible. He knows that river inside out and works his butt off to find the fish. That fish in my 3rd picture above came on Marcs boat when I fished with him many moons ago.

On 3/11/2023 at 1:29 PM, lew said:

Lots of guys for sure Bill and this is only my opinion but I'd second what someone said above and try and get out with Marc Thorpe if possible. He knows that river inside out and works his butt off to find the fish. That fish in my 3rd picture above came on Marcs boat when I fished with him many moons ago.

Thorpe without hesitation, although I'm guessing you'd have to book a few years out :) 

Fishery is alive and well… lot of articles say it’s in decline but that’s cause scientist net the same spots for 30 years and see declines… just means those 3 spots the fish aren’t using the same anymore… the river has changed a lot but the quality of TROPHY musky fishing is great… 

I get 4-5 50” musky a year by accident when targeting walleye lol

Early summer look for first drop offs or weed lines outside spawning bays 

Mid-late summer they seam to like the weed edges on the thickest weeds you can find 

fall if you can find the big schools of “eater walleye” you’ll find musky close by 

10-20’ water produces well and hard to beat perch colours and of course black/orange 

fish high in water column early morning and evening and work a little deeper mid day 

good luck 

• Like 2