Help Me Choose A Portable Ice Hut !

cityfisher

Hi all,

Im going to buy a portable ice hut for this upcoming ice season.

im looking for a 2man that can be pulled easily behind my atv.

BPS has a couple on special this week.

Special OfferHi-Tech™ Polar Escape Magnum 2-Person Ice Fishing Shelter $249.00

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Tex...p;cmCat=3337633

OR

Fish Trap® Guide® Flip-Over 2-Person Ice Fishing Shelter $399.00

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Tex...p;cmCat=3337633

Is the clam worth the extra money ? all i can see is that it has built-in seats

thanks all !!

two different huts the polar escape is closer to the yukon then the guide in size. i own a pro but i would have bought the polar escape. with the money saved bought a better chair

make up your mind soon there were only 6 polar escapes left when i was at bps thursday and no rainchecks

Edited by dwc67

I just bought the Hi Tech at BPS for $249.00

Compared to my previous portable which was an Eskimo Quick Flip 2 man ($350.00),

the Hi Tech is way better in quality of construction and the fabric seems waaaaay better.

My 2 cents says to buy the Hi Tech before they are sold out.

Oh ya - the Hi Tech comes with a solid tow bar as well as the rope, plus 2 seats and a cover.

Good Luck,

Hookset

i'd go with the HT and the frabill if you are tight with your money but if not the clam would be a good choice

A little tight on money considering i just bought an atv .... ice fishing gets DAMN $$$ lol

I hope to get out 5-10 times this year and the last couple years sometimes i didnt even use a hut so basically ill use it on COLD COLD windy days or when i go out with the GF ..

Last year Moose and I bought the Sub Zeros - 4 man @ Canadian Tire

Looked great set up in the living room. The poles kind of creaked on me setting it up at home which made me a bit nervous. As luck would have it Moose goes to set his up first time on Lake Muskoka last year and 2 poles snap. I talked to CTC and found they had a lot of broken returns on them. Took mine back before any damage could be done.

A little tight on money considering i just bought an atv .... ice fishing gets DAMN $$$ lol

I hope to get out 5-10 times this year and the last couple years sometimes i didnt even use a hut so basically ill use it on COLD COLD windy days or when i go out with the GF ..

You have an e-mail from me.

I traded up to a Fish Trap Pro from a Frabil a few years ago. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Fish Trap Series. I do not think I would like a portable with the seats NOT being attached. To much hassle setting them up or having them sliding all over the place while you are trying to land a fish or move around.

You mentioned only taking it out on COLD COLD days. I have found I enjoy my hut as much on those bright sunny days. You can sight fish for shallow fish. Also it's nice to be out of the bright sun. It doesn't matter what weather I get anymore. The Fish trap Pro goes with me on every trip.

I have a Frabill 2 man venture it does the job but the material from the tent tends to move inward against me when I am fishing on windy days .I got a good deal on it at CDN tire $269.00.I 've seen the clam and if I had to buy one again I would have spent the extra money for the Clam.Looks like a very solid shelter great quality.good luck on your Purchase :dunno:

hi cityfisher,i have a dave genz fish trap 2 pro-guide portable its an awsome hut weighs about 46lbs and is so easy ,its the tip-down model so what i did with mine was to sew a zipper in the front so once the hut is down.i dont have to tip it up to get out,i just use the zipper that way i can pack snow around the sides and what a difference it keeps the heat in and makes it dark to its amazing....oh ya and the bottom is also the tobbogan part so it holds my auger inside and all my gear then i put the cover on it and away i go,it also has 2 sliding seats inside that fold down it was about $600, had it about 5 years now...check them out on-line google the name and see what comes out.its a little bit more $ but its worth every dime.....good luck in your decision......hope i helped a little shawn

Just so you know cityfisher the Fish Trap Pro now comes with a zippered front door as well as the flip up feature.As well, the new model also has a rear zippered door which can be joined to another unit back to back.The seat is really comfy and and and .........damn! I think I wet myself I'm getting so excited.

Kerry

Oh the same applies to the guide model too.

Edited by Kerry

I would try and compare apples to apples and make up a simple chart outlining:

material

pole material

ease of setup

design

I would stay away from anything remotely light weight in material and would most certainly want a seat or two set up in a manner that seems easy in a snow storm. I am around gear a heck of a lot moe than most people could imagine and am now to the point that I like to forget the name and focus on what makes it good.... or bad. I glanced at some of the links and suggest that a simple, functional design built with tough materials is the way to go. Some I have seen people buy become an excersice in frustration in adverse conditions. Just some quick thoughts.

outdoorguy61