Annual spring trip

huey graphite

Im trying to plan an annual trip I do with friends and looking for a new destination. It's early June and there are 4 of us. In the past we have gone to Rice Lake, Callendar Bay on Nipissing and Hay Bay. Last year we went to Tomiko Lake and although the fishing was ok it wasn't much better than these other lakes. We will be targeting different species but primarily walleye. Looking for a destination within 5-6 hours from Niagara, drive-in and towing 2 boats. Bringing our own food and supplies. Thanks in advance!

22 minutes ago, greyhawk said:

Try Wosley Lodge or Totem Point Lodge on Wosley Bay..part of French river system or Memquisit Lodge or Lake Aire on Lake Nipissing…West Arm

We actually stayed at Wolsely Lodge one spring back around 2010. 1 walleye between 5 or 6 guys over 3 days. Pike fishing was better. Has walleye fishing improved in recent years?

If it's mainly Walleye at that time of year, then two places come to mind that fit your criteria..

Mouth of the Spanish R. on the North Channel of Lake Huron...aka Whalesback Channel.

Lac Kipiwa...just across the border in Quebec. 90 minutes from North Bay.

Both are Walleye factories...as good as a lot of fly-ins. Both have good ramps and a variety of accommodation options.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 4:11 PM, CrowMan said:

Lac Kipiwa...just across the border in Quebec. 90 minutes from North Bay.

Couldn't agree more about Kipawa. By far all of the best fishing memories of my life are from the yearly trips up there. Paved road to the government dock in the village of Kipawa. Started back in the 80's single, and it was always about Lakers. Used to be many lodges back then. Corbeau Lodge was dead center at the hub of the whole massive system. It's like a huge X.That was a 10 mile due north boat ride. Stayed there many times through different owners. Now it's privately owned by Lindros.  Spent most of our times at Alwaki lodge though another 4 miles away around the horn. It was a bit more rustic and better suited for just the boys, so once an opening came up we jumped on it. Often had 2 cabins and one year even 3. Alwaki is up for sale in 3 parcels now but still functioning in a limited fashion, as in no transportation. But even back then the highest rated lodge was always Kipawa Lodge, another 6 miles across Hunters Lake. They are now even better still offering full service. So you are now 20 miles from the dock in what I consider a magical place of sorts, it's hard to describe. You might as well be in a fly-in, only boats you might see for the week will be few and local. Being able to bring your own boat is a huge bonus too.
So Huey, if you were to ever actually consider Kipawa as an interest I can help you out big time with info and maps I already have done up. There's a great forum too. I really have to warn you though, if you do go up, expect your experience to be on a far different level from the other places you mentioned. It was always about a Lake Trout week mostly, with Walleye as as a good bonus. For the Americans though it was more about the Walleye fishing. For me it was an evening thing mostly, whether back trolling with bottom bouncers and spinner rigs, anchoring and slip floats on structure, or dragging a jig'n worm even. My pb Walleye ever came from a late June full moon 10:30 at night dragging an Ugly Bug and a worm. 11 1/2 lbs and well over 31". Here I am with my bare bones 14 ft tinny and we win the biggest of the week against all the rich American boats. We also won the Trout award that week as Jim caught a 10 1/2 Laker on our way to have a beer at the Alwaki one afternoon..

Cheers

• Like 1

We always stayed at Alwaki...gonna miss the place.

Funny...we never did that well with the Lakers, but killed it with the Walleye...quantity and quality. We also managed on every trip to also bring a few 40"+  Pike to the boat. Kipiwa always reminds me of Temagami (the X shape and terrain..it's like a twin just the other side of the border)...the difference being it still has a lot of fish in it..

Our go to is the south shore of lake Nipissing. For us a never fail for walleye, pike, perch and SM. Plenty of inner islands in South Bay providing shelter from the winds if the big lake is blowing.

The change in walleye slot size has helped.

Tom Rae Lodge

Promised Land Camp

2 hours ago, akaShag said:

tagged for interest.  I had proposed a Kipawa trip this year, but the guys want to fish Loughborough  For bass of course, not walleye.......

Doug

There's great smallmouth fishing in Kipawa depending on where on the lake your at - maybe you can change their mind :) I know not everyone is thrilled with that but I love it - walleye morning/evening and bass in the afternoon.  You can see some in this shared photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KAvuCnQGR64iXagX8

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akaShag said:

tagged for interest.  I had proposed a Kipawa trip this year, but the guys want to fish Loughborough  For bass of course, not walleye.......

Doug

Doug well over 20 years ago a huge beaver dam between a lake at the north end of the watershed and Kipawa blew up and smallmouth were accidentally introduced into the lake. They have since migrated south at a rate of a mile or two each year and by now have reached well past Hunters Lake with the odd reports of them reaching down to the south end by Red Pine Chute. There is now an excellent fishery there with Smallies 3-5 lbs being common. If your buds want to have great Bass, Walleye and Laker fishing in a pristine environment then that's where you should be going, Loughborough won't even compare so far as a fishing adventure goes. I follow Alwaki and Kipawa lodges and as far as I know Alwaki is still taking bookings. Same offer goes for you, I can really help you out with maps etc. I guaranty you and your buds would never regret it. Check out some of the pics here. https://www.kipawalodge.com/  

Cheers

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Doug well over 20 years ago a huge beaver dam between a lake at the north end of the watershed and Kipawa blew up and smallmouth were accidentally introduced into the lake. They have since migrated south at a rate of a mile or two each year and by now have reached well past Hunters Lake with the odd reports of them reaching down to the south end by Red Pine Chute. There is now an excellent fishery there with Smallies 3-5 lbs being common. If your buds want to have great Bass, Walleye and Laker fishing in a pristine environment then that's where you should be going, Loughborough won't even compare so far as a fishing adventure goes. I follow Alwaki and Kipawa lodges and as far as I know Alwaki is still taking bookings. Same offer goes for you, I can really help you out with maps etc. I guaranty you and your buds would never regret it. Check out some of the pics here. https://www.kipawalodge.com/  

Cheers

Thanks bud!  Cottage is already booked, and buddy flying from BC has his flights booked also.  Maybe another year!

Doug