Jump to content

My very first pontoon - Outcast FC Panther


Recommended Posts

Welcome to the environment friendly dark side. LOL

Nice price and deal. I know the outcast are up there, but the material (outer skin ) is unreal tough. Navy grade IMO. I have the outcast now. It,s like a  yak sorta, but man is it stable . Still have not yet tried the electric motor, but now have a 30lb, so need to give it a try.

DSCF6030.JPG.44b45a3751aa5b58f704ff28955cdea1.JPGDSCF6032.JPG.577cfa1b99d748904f3efd848e29cd71.JPGDSCF6036.JPG.d09628e686302ffba02e6ff244f0ca83.JPG

Enjoy the new ride.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, misfish said:

Welcome to the environment friendly dark side. LOL

Nice price and deal. I know the outcast are up there, but the material (outer skin ) is unreal tough. Navy grade IMO. I have the outcast now. It,s like a  yak sorta, but man is it stable . Still have not yet tried the electric motor, but now have a 30lb, so need to give it a try.

 

Enjoy the new ride.

I saw that on the marketplace and it looks dope.  Do you find it more stable then your other pontoon?  

Also I’m interested to know how well a 30lb trolling motor would be on it.  My friend has a 30lb Minn Kota that he only used a few times and wants a $100 for it.  I’m wondering if I would need something bigger like a 40 or 45

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PUMP KNOWS said:

I saw that on the marketplace and it looks dope.  Do you find it more stable then your other pontoon?  

Also I’m interested to know how well a 30lb trolling motor would be on it.  My friend has a 30lb Minn Kota that he only used a few times and wants a $100 for it.  I’m wondering if I would need something bigger like a 40 or 45

I found no difference as far as balance goes. I can even stand and still feel safe . I have had it out in 2 ft waves and it just rides the waves. No fear of tipping of flipping over. I think it is about a 6" dif in width.

I ran a 55lb on my pontoon. 3.5 mph 100%.  Balance between you and the motor and battery is a must. I had the seat fully forward. Battery behind the seat and motor after that. A 30lb will be ok, but slower. The older 30 lb motor are not as good as the new. The older ones use 100% no matter the speed, as the newer ones only use what you demand from it.

I am hoping to get out this Saturday to give the 30lb I got a go with the battery. I want to see how the rig handles the battery weight and motor. I am lucky that I can keep the battery at the bow. I see no reason I should have any problems. This thing drifted through 3" of water with out touching the bottom with all my gear and me so far. Happy with my new ride.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

pump a 30 should have no problem pushing you around. Heck when i put my 55lber on my 14 foot tinner with a casting deck the thing nearly threw me in the lake all of the time. You arent going to break the sound barrier, but it will get you where you need to go no problem at all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

pump a 30 should have no problem pushing you around. Heck when i put my 55lber on my 14 foot tinner with a casting deck the thing nearly threw me in the lake all of the time. You arent going to break the sound barrier, but it will get you where you need to go no problem at all.

If I had to make a choice, I would look into a 40lb for that toon. Scott, these things push a lot different then a tin or a yak. Your pushing 2 bladders with weight in the middle. I used a 30lb way back on a smaller one. It was ok, but on the larger toon, it was not that friendly. Why I went to a 55lb. When you want to get off quick, the 55 lb was nice.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

pump a 30 should have no problem pushing you around. Heck when i put my 55lber on my 14 foot tinner with a casting deck the thing nearly threw me in the lake all of the time. You arent going to break the sound barrier, but it will get you where you need to go no problem at all.


My only concern with the 30lb is if I were to fish and the wind starts to pick up, I’d want to feel confident that I can make it back to shore as fast as possible.  I guess with a 40 or 45lb I’d have the peace of mind I can make it back with no problems.

 

2 hours ago, misfish said:

If I had to make a choice, I would look into a 40lb for that toon. Scott, these things push a lot different then a tin or a yak. Your pushing 2 bladders with weight in the middle. I used a 30lb way back on a smaller one. It was ok, but on the larger toon, it was not that friendly. Why I went to a 55lb. When you want to get off quick, the 55 lb was nice.


Thanks for the info.  I’ll look for a deal on a 40 or 45lb.  I think 55 would be overkill for this setup.

Also how long does a trolling motor last you with a fully charged battery?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the new rig - looks sweet

Hopefully many fish big and small come over the gunnels (not sure if a pontoon has gunnels but you get the gist)

Have you name him or her yet?  In my mind every good vessel requires a worthy name

Cheers

Andrew

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PUMP KNOWS said:

Also how long does a trolling motor last you with a fully charged battery?

The 55lb would last from 1st morning ( 5 am ) til noon . That how long I would usually fish for. I would move a lot. I always used 50% throttle . I even towed my anchor when moving. That is about 8 lbs. From spot to spot. When I would come off,there was always 3 and even 4 lights still on the motor which was to tell you how much battery power was left. My battery is a sealed Optima marine battery. It is always kept on a 1.5 amp trickle charger from May til I will not use it anymore.

OPTIMA_BT_D34M_Right_copy.jpg

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, misfish said:

I always used 50% throttle

These are key words here. I could run my 10 feet inflatable entire day on a single battery. Of course under certain conditions, calm water, not too heavy, etc

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 12:37 PM, gordy28 said:

Congrats on the new rig - looks sweet

Hopefully many fish big and small come over the gunnels (not sure if a pontoon has gunnels but you get the gist)

Have you name him or her yet?  In my mind every good vessel requires a worthy name

Cheers

Andrew

 

no name yet, I’ll have to think about it
 

 

On 9/22/2020 at 3:55 PM, misfish said:

The 55lb would last from 1st morning ( 5 am ) til noon . That how long I would usually fish for. I would move a lot. I always used 50% throttle . I even towed my anchor when moving. That is about 8 lbs. From spot to spot. When I would come off,there was always 3 and even 4 lights still on the motor which was to tell you how much battery power was left. My battery is a sealed Optima marine battery. It is always kept on a 1.5 amp trickle charger from May til I will not use it anymore.

OPTIMA_BT_D34M_Right_copy.jpg

thanks, I’ll look into that battery
 

 

14 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Been running one of those for years. :)

Good choice. 

 

 

Dope.  It looks sick on the water

Link to post
Share on other sites

optima has recently changed who manufactures their batteries. Id honestly suggest Canadian tire AGM personally! Made by east pen deka...best warranty in the game and really competitive pricing. You can usually find them on sale too and save yourself the 15% tax.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, AKRISONER said:

optima has recently changed who manufactures their batteries. Id honestly suggest Canadian tire AGM personally! Made by east pen deka...best warranty in the game and really competitive pricing. You can usually find them on sale too and save yourself the 15% tax.

Thanks, I’ll look into it

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BillM said:

Optima hasn't been the same for years.  Don't waste your $$$ on one.   Go to Total Battery, get as big as a AGM that will fit and go to town.

5 years and going strong. :dunno:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...