Hold My Beer

DRIFTER_016

Hit -8 F here a couple of nights ago, coldest I've seen in my 35 years here . I recall -14 F once as a kid in the 60's in Pelham away from the lake. First 30 years of my life we were in a period of global coolng, some pretty horrific winters in the 70's, since the 80's we have seen a warming trend, recently  read the poles are shifting lately at a much greater rate than normal , perhaps the weather cycle is reversing again.

3 hours ago, dave524 said:

Hit -8 F here a couple of nights ago, coldest I've seen in my 35 years here . I recall -14 F once as a kid in the 60's in Pelham away from the lake. First 30 years of my life we were in a period of global coolng, some pretty horrific winters in the 70's, since the 80's we have seen a warming trend, recently  read the poles are shifting lately at a much greater rate than normal , perhaps the weather cycle is reversing again.

Don't you remember the winter of 1993 and 1994 Dave. The Niagara peninsula had continual days of -20C. I know because I checked Cable 14 every AM and PM before I went into the plant for the Winter Olympics.

I had met the 1st mate of the lake freighter Tudeusac when would dock it in Hamilton. The ship got caught with her pants down in Pt. Colbourne. The aerator couldn't keep up with the freeze up and split her hull. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I can tell you from experience that there is truth in the dry cold vs. wet cold. I spent a week in Oulo Finland which is 40K south of the Artic Circle, the second week of December. -40 to -50 at night. There are many canals close to our hotel. Every night it sounded like there was war going on. They would blast the canals ice with explosive to protect the concrete walls. -40 there is a terrible cold but it isn't as bad as some -20's here. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Was a chore to get the snowblower going this morning.

The primer bulb was stiff and didn't like returning to shape.

Had to really prime it good several times until it would stay running.

Got the snow all cleared so I could pull out the sled trailer and see if I could figure out where the coolant leak was.

Don't know if I got it figured or not.  ?

Looks like I frost nipped the tip of my big toe when working outside too.

On the couch with a rum now waiting on the Leafs game.  ?

58 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Was a chore to get the snowblower going this morning.

The primer bulb was stiff and didn't like returning to shape.

Had to really prime it good several times until it would stay running.

Got the snow all cleared so I could pull out the sled trailer and see if I could figure out where the coolant leak was.

Don't know if I got it figured or not.  ?

Looks like I frost nipped the tip of my big toe when working outside too.

On the couch with a rum now waiting on the Leafs game.  ?

Had to start mine a few days ago, took a bit of priming too, hadn't been started since last winter ?

7 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I can tell you from experience that there is truth in the dry cold vs. wet cold.

When I was in the Yukon I heard quite a few locals say they prefer a winter in Whitehorse compared to a winter in Vancouver based on the dry/ damp cold thing

On 2/2/2019 at 12:30 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

I can tell you from experience that there is truth in the dry cold vs. wet cold. I spent a week in Oulo Finland which is 40K south of the Artic Circle, the second week of December. -40 to -50 at night. There are many canals close to our hotel. Every night it sounded like there was war going on. They would blast the canals ice with explosive to protect the concrete walls. -40 there is a terrible cold but it isn't as bad as some -20's here. 

Guinea pig here. I was on that 'coldest corner in Winnipeg' many years ago during a cold spell in winter. People were saying how cold it was and I didn't feel the cold like I have always felt here in southern Ontario. Wasn't near as 'penetrating'. 

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, dave524 said:

Had to start mine a few days ago, took a bit of priming too, hadn't been started since last winter ?

I get my snow blower going when I call the GUY to come and clear the snow with his tractor and 40 inch blower on it.  25 bucks, takes him 5 to 10 minutes, maybe, takes me 45 minutes to an hour with the machine to do what he does better. I always did the old Gal next doors as well, she's 85. Now I'm not feeling guilty if he does mine, I can't do hers as I don't have a blower any longer, she pays him now as well. I calculated a very long time ago I was well ahead hiring him on a pay and play basis and sell my machine. I have not yet gone through the money I got from selling my machine to some poor citiot.  The GUY hasn't been here once in the last 2 years, 3 times 3 years ago. Not once this year, yet. I watch him from the window with a hot coffee and shot of Zoom Zoom in it. His tip is a coffee with Zoom Zoom. 

For you guys in cities and towns where it is a by law you clear the snow I recommend you contact a local landscaper. You may be surprised how economical it is compared to buying, running and maintaining a blower. For those under 55 get out there and shovel. If you know someone elderly there are local churches and service clubs that will come out and clear snow for them. Our private club in the Hammertown does this for the elderly. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

When I lived in Grand Valley I had a plow on my truck which I used to take care of the normal snow falls.

When the big storms with wind came we just called the neighbour to take care of the job.

He had a giant John Deere 4wd tractor with an 8' double auger blower on it.

Two quick trips up the 220' driveway and it was done.

When he got closer to the house he just blew the snow over it into the back yard!!!  ?

On 2/2/2019 at 8:16 PM, chris.brock said:

When I was in the Yukon I heard quite a few locals say they prefer a winter in Whitehorse compared to a winter in Vancouver based on the dry/ damp cold thing

quite literally, i spend my winter between Pointe Au Baril and Downtown Toronto and yes part of it is that I am probably dressed better for the cold when I am up north and outside (snowpants etc etc) but id take a crisp -15 day over a -2 day in Toronto any day of the week.

My uncle has lived his entire life in Alberta and hunts in the mountains through the winter, he will tell you outright the coldest hes ever felt in his life was the time he spent a weekend in Toronto and it was 0 and poured rain all weekend.

Jeez I was out fishing crappies a few weeks back it was -12, the sun was shining and it was calm up north...We were out in a sweatshirt, no touques, barehanded fishing totally comfortably. 

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Jeez I was out fishing crappies a few weeks back it was -12, the sun was shining and it was calm up north...We were out in a sweatshirt, no touques, barehanded fishing totally comfortably. 

I'm quite comfortable @ -25 and no wind.

If it's like that and sunny I will be sitting on my sled in a hoodie happily jigging away. ?

On 2/2/2019 at 12:30 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

I grew up on the East coast. We got a lot of rain but it was a dry rain, y'know!!!??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1