prescription polarized sunglasses...

Bill Bennett

Does anyone here have a recommendation for prescription polarized sunglasses? I have some I got at the local optometrist but he has never had such a request before and I think I'd get better quality from someone else. My eyes are not what they used to be and I'll need at least bifocals. Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions?

No real suggestions but it just so happens there's a great article in this months OFHA magazine "Ontario out of Doors" Gave a good description of what to look for...might have some suggestions on where to buy...didn't get the chance to finish the article

Maureen

Well if he dosent know,Im sorry,but he is the wrong optometrist for you. I got a nice pair of wraps from my optometrist.

145 bucks.and they are awesome. Im getting up there aswell,but no bifocals,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yet.LOL

Edited by misfish

I've always had prescription polarized sunglasses with anti-reflective coating on the lenses & never had any problems getting them made up. Just get your prescription & take it to any reputable store that sells eyewear & they should be able to fix you up with no problems, even with bifocal lenses without breaking the bank. Good luck!

be curious on the pricing you guys are getting... will be getting my set in a month or so and so far, without having my prescription handy, i can say i'll be in the $300.+ range for frames/lenses it looks like :(

Guest lundboy
Does anyone here have a recommendation for prescription polarized sunglasses? I have some I got at the local optometrist but he has never had such a request before and I think I'd get better quality from someone else. My eyes are not what they used to be and I'll need at least bifocals. Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions?

I just went through this last week!!

Because of my prescription it is hard to get sunglasses that don't look goofy. I went to 3 diff. eye glass places. Forget the 1 hour type shops they know nothing. I went to a real standalone optometrist that sends the scripts out to Zeiss for lenses.

-Now almost every shop you go to will tell you you can't get polarized AND anti-glare. This is true for the one hour shops, not the real optometrists shops. DO NOT BUY SCRIPT SUNS FOR FISHING WITHOUT POLARIZATION AND ANTI-GLARE, OR YOU WILL BE EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED!

-Adidas has a full line of wrap a rounds, that are regular polarized/anti-glare suns, really good looking. The trick is they have a prescription insert set of lenses that clip into the frames that can be removed or snapped in as you like. So if you want to change styles or you scratch the suns you can just snap your prescription into them and away you go. http://www.adidas.com/eyewear/homesite/index.asp

-You can also get custom (to some extent) sun glasses made by SwissFlex. These are pretty cool. Ultra Lightweight and they come in multiple colours. This shop has made custom SwissFlex suns for 2 pro-fisherman here but didn't tell me who. http://www.swissflex-eyewear.com/collection.html

The optometrist I found both of these at is Yorkview Optometric Clinic, Newmarket 905-895-8668

Another option is to get Cocoons to fit over your existing script glasses. They are a bit big, but they don't look like senior's goggles, Ish Munroe, Mike Iaconelli and Dean Rojas wear them. BPS has them at $59.99 : http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/prostaff.html

Edited by lundboy

one word COSTCO!!!! Before you buy glasses anywhere check out their pricing....

Totally agree with you there! I just bought Polarized Presciption Bolle's from them and I love them. I think it was about $250 taxes in. Got them from the Barrie Costco, if you go there ask for John he is great at fitting you for glasses.

Rob C

Got my perscription polarized glasses from an optomotrist as well, they work great. The first pair I ever bought, were Varnet, and I had them change the lenses to polarized perscription lenses, and that was great. I had to renew my glasses this year, so I bought frames from Adidas (there are many others, I just liked these), with the all the anti glare and scratch resistant coatings, and they also had polarized clip ons specifically for the frames so you don't have to look like a geek. If you should go with a similar type of set up, then I would not recomend the clip ons that are magnetized, because if the frame should lose its shape then the magnets don't hold the clip ons very well. I like the clip on system because when lighting conditions change, you dont have to carry 2 sets of glasses, just remove the clip ons.

Yo BigFishBill.

I got a pair of RayBans & had the Doc put in grey tint with polarized & anti reflective coating for moderate sunlight & I just got a new one, they are called Sunpro and have a maximum green grey tint with polarized, mirror on the outside & anti reflective on the inside for the brighest days on the water... One not of caution, the Sunpro's cost me $385 with the prescription and the Doc warned me to always wear a strap on them on the water as they do fall off & they will sink fast...

Carmen Sarvas was the Doc in Waterloo at 519 744 4157 if your in this part of the world but any place short of the 1 hour shops should be able to ge them.

Regards, Johnny

Got my perscription polarized glasses from an optomotrist as well, they work great. The first pair I ever bought, were Varnet, and I had them change the lenses to polarized perscription lenses, and that was great. I had to renew my glasses this year, so I bought frames from Adidas (there are many others, I just liked these), with the all the anti glare and scratch resistant coatings, and they also had polarized clip ons specifically for the frames so you don't have to look like a geek. If you should go with a similar type of set up, then I would not recomend the clip ons that are magnetized, because if the frame should lose its shape then the magnets don't hold the clip ons very well. I like the clip on system because when lighting conditions change, you dont have to carry 2 sets of glasses, just remove the clip ons.

I have a pair with the magnetic clip ons and I love them ( I did have to adjust them myself though for a better fit)