Stacks are gone

HTHM

I remember working as a student forester surveying that land as part of a summer job with the Conservation Authorities Branch of the old Dept. of Lands and Forests the summer of 1970. Construction started shortly later, pretty weird something of that magnitude has come and gone in such a short span of time. 

edit: a biological survey , flora and fauna stuff

Edited by dave524

I have mixed feelings on this. Its always been a sign with me whenever I was in the outer bay or on on 5 mile.  Also, I come from the power gen industry so that could be why.. I sure hate the look of wind turbines tho..

Funny how things change. In high school geography class. Nanticoke was touted as the perfect planned community. Ontario's city of tomorrow. We had to study the town plan for an urban assignment in grade 12.  Somehow the big "Blue"  choochoo came off its tracks.

On 02/03/2018 at 4:38 PM, bigugli said:

Funny how things change. In high school geography class. Nanticoke was touted as the perfect planned community. Ontario's city of tomorrow. We had to study the town plan for an urban assignment in grade 12.  Somehow the big "Blue"  choochoo came off its tracks.

Townsend was where everyone was going to live and Nanticoke was where they would work.. Stelco still owns around 5000 acres of land out there....

10 minutes ago, pics said:

Townsend was where everyone was going to live and Nanticoke was where they would work.. Stelco still owns around 5000 acres of land out there....

They are selling off the land piece meal, cash is King. All that land was never meant to be developed, no neighbours means no complaints about noise and emissions.  I worked at Lake Erie Development as a Grad Trainee in 77'. You could cut the anticipation of a great new world with a knife. 23 year olds were buying new homes as long as it was south of the and River, trucks and cars, a kid with Grade 12 1/2 could get into a Grad program with a bunch of whiz kids, not a single person, guy or gal I knew didn't have a good full time job making good coin including apprenticeships in all trades. One of my young co workers was a graduate of the Military College with a major in something called Computer Sciences. I am just g   lad