Simcoe Report 2

jimmer

Well I reported last week on my trip out to catch perch and the poor results from that trip.  I headed out again on Sunday with a friend (no hut rental) and we decided to go for whitefish instead as the target species. Well, Simcoe sure can change its tune quickly.  My friend hooked up before I even had a chance to get my line in the water.  He had 4 before I even had a bite.  The total for the day was over 10, but we lost count on the near misses.  Those whities sure seemed active and we went with the usual rig that works.  I even caught a ling that weighed in at 5lb 14oz.  The largest whitie was 6lb 11oz.  I would have to say that it was my best day ever on Simcoe.

damn well done jim

lol can be frustrating when you cant even catch perch, but then you go and hammer whities. Right on, i think the whole season has turned the corner..after a ridiculously slow January and start to February, i went out this weekend and had a double header tip up bite and non stop action on the perch and walleye.

6 hours ago, jimmer said:

Well I reported last week on my trip out to catch perch and the poor results from that trip.  I headed out again on Sunday with a friend (no hut rental) and we decided to go for whitefish instead as the target species. Well, Simcoe sure can change its tune quickly.  My friend hooked up before I even had a chance to get my line in the water.  He had 4 before I even had a bite.  The total for the day was over 10, but we lost count on the near misses.  Those whities sure seemed active and we went with the usual rig that works.  I even caught a ling that weighed in at 5lb 14oz.  The largest whitie was 6lb 11oz.  I would have to say that it was my best day ever on Simcoe.

3 hours ago, PUMP KNOWS said:

Awesome!  I hope it cools right up one last time so I can get back out on the ice.  I finally caught my first fish on the ice last week and it was a whitie.

Way to rub it in guys lol! Just kidding, I'm happy you guys caught some of the bigger fish. Was hoping to get out for my second chance at my first laker/whitefish.  Will have to wait till next season. 

On a positive note, I also caught a few new species this winter. Pike, and herring. :Gonefishing:.

Would it be possible to know what access on the west side you used so others can decide to look for better access than that location ???  I mean if it really was that bad that you need a plank. I assume other areas may not need a plank to gain access onto the ice..  thanks

3 hours ago, ROOK said:

Would it be possible to know what access on the west side you used so others can decide to look for better access than that location ???  I mean if it really was that bad that you need a plank. I assume other areas may not need a plank to gain access onto the ice..  thanks

We may require to use a plank this weekend, but Im not inclined to share the location. There are other access spots that do not, but we prefer to not walk a mile or 2 to get to our spot.