Storing wheels and tires

Old Ironmaker

I have to put away the summer tires on the wheels. Store vertically, horizontal or it doesn't matter. I store vertically piled one atop another to save space. Take the plastic wraps off the tire guys put on? Someone told me to take 5 pounds out of them. Yes I pay the guy his 50 bucks. I'm 63 not 53, big difference believe me. Advise please. Dan, are you there Dan D?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

OI I have similar thing aa s Jeoff. I made mine from the base of an old office chair (steel base) I removed the seat and left the stem. on that I inserted an abs pipe and piled the tires on. When I want to move them I just rolled it around. Sold the tires saved the base just incase.

5 hours ago, DanD said:

I really don't think it matter all that much, vert/horiz; as long as they're stored in a cool, dry and out of the sunlight they'll be fine.

Dan.

Dan--I understand the cool and sunlight bit but why dry? On the vehicle they are exposed to all sorts of wet conditions.

I store mine outside in a vertical stack protected by a tarp. I assumed that was OK.

thx 

1 hour ago, SirCranksalot said:

Dan--I understand the cool and sunlight bit but why dry? On the vehicle they are exposed to all sorts of wet conditions.

I store mine outside in a vertical stack protected by a tarp. I assumed that was OK.

thx 

Running down the road the tire has a chance of drying off; sitting wet for six mouths strait, will allow mold to grow and those acids will/could eat at the rubber. Then there's the wheels; keep them dry or be willing to do some cleaning or painting if they're steelies.

Dan.

I actually had the same question about keeping them dry. I am going to leave them in the bags the guy provides but outdoors and tarp them, I am just out of room. Buddy says I can store them in the barn at the farm but I know they will disappear. A spray of oil on the rims maybe. I have noticed some rust on the rims and around bolt holes in the Spring a few times.  Great idea stacking them on a tree, especially with roller wheels on the base, ingenious really especially when space is at a premium like here. We don't have a garage, a good sized shed and a few years ago I built another big shed for all my fishing and boat stuff. My dear lady evicted me from most of it and has all her landscaping tools in both.  Tich is shopping for a new place for us and I am garage/shop shopping. She will be online and say Hey look at this place and I ask does it have a big garage or shop? If no I don't even look at it. She reminds me we can always build a shop, yea right, I said the same about this place 22 years ago, no garage.

What about someone saying to let some air pressure out Dan?

12 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Sir Cranks, I just noticed your by-line at the bottom of your page. Isn't that true. But at least in golf I am guarantied to hit the ball 100 times or so, often I fish all day and don't hit a single one.

Fair enough, but when was the last time you bagged a fresh meal on the golf course???