3 anglers fined $1500.00 for over limitof Walleye, Port Burwell

Old Ironmaker

Just yesterday we returned from a 3 day 2 night trip from Burwell. 2 young CO's came into the park, Otter Creek Marina and checked several of us for compliance. We as well as a few others at the ramp and cleaning station were all good. The fishing was phenomenal. Please PM me for the where, when and what.

http://mnrwatch.com/three-men-fined-1500-each-for-over-limit-of-walleye/

to top it off buddy was purposely hiding his over limit walleye in another location of his boat. Friggin dink

I think the even bigger problem here is that these dinks do this, get caught and only get a 1,500 dollar fine? Im gonna go drive 200kmh on the 401 what kind of trouble I would be in?

Your car gets impounded, your license gets suspended and you get between a 2-10 thousand dollar fine.

We need to toughen up the regs on these bum holes...With how little enforcement exists out there, the penalties need to be much much more severe.

Their fishing licenses should 100% be suspended for a very long extended period, heck suspend their boating license as well. The fines need to increase as well.

Edited by AKRISONER

I feel that more CO's and more OPP checking the water should be happening on a more regular basis. Not just for selfish people hurting the fisheries but also drinking and driving. I believe drinking and driving numbers are low but people selfishly abusing the fisheries is frustrating and disappointing. :angry:

I think suspending fishing license and boating license won't stop them as they are obviously risk takers and will still go out. But heavier fines and having their names (and better yet photos) put in the media press releases would certainly be a deterrent.

Take away the privacy and anonymity of their action with being made public would be a large deterrent for most. :clapping:

Edited by AdamW

to top it off buddy was purposely hiding his over limit walleye in another location of his boat. Friggin dink

I think the even bigger problem here is that these dinks do this, get caught and only get a 1,500 dollar fine? Im gonna go drive 200kmh on the 401 what kind of trouble I would be in?

Your car gets impounded, your license gets suspended and you get between a 2-10 thousand dollar fine.

We need to toughen up the regs on these bum holes...With how little enforcement exists out there, the penalties need to be much much more severe.

Their fishing licenses should 100% be suspended for a very long extended period, heck suspend their boating license as well. The fines need to increase as well.

I agree

On that note, I got my second only visit from OPP while fishing off a dock the other day. Nice to see that boat that sits in emo 99% of the year in use!

Pleasant guys too! Quick license check/chat and off they went

cheat you burn lol. kinda lopsided though. commercial industryreceives 99.04 of quota. sportsfishing is allowed 0.06

Well those numbers are more than a bit off..not sure where they came from. According to the Lake Erie Committee of the Great Lakes Fishery Commission, the 2016 total walleye harvest for the lake was 3.078 million walleye of which 1.090 miliion were taken by anglers (so lets call it 1/3 for argurements sake). This percentage is considerably lower than many recent years where the sport harvest was over 50% of the total harvest for Lake Erie. You can find more numbers than you can possibly crunch and read all the explanations about where they come from in the 2017 Lake Erie Reports here:

http://www.glfc.org/lake-erie-committee.php

Edited by G.mech

i love reading these stories....and i am glad they print their names and hometowns....why people have to be so greedy and totally abuse the rules makes you wonder what other laws they break in general. Also agree they needs to be tougher penalities....hope they lost all their gear and boat. I have been out on erie 3 times this summer have caught about 25 eyes and have brought home 1 deeply hooked one. Then you here these stories pisses you off.