All about fishing Senkos

smithy97

I have found it to be quite difficult to cast a weightless wacky worm setup on a bait caster because of the backlash. The reel needs to be set pretty loose to get any casting distance on such a light lure and backlash was too common for me. All my rods are bait casters, but I have one spinning reel setup and that is for wacky worm (which I usually have setup weightless because the lakes where I fish aren't very deep (less than 20ft)).

use a chronarch weightless goes the distance with near zero backlash issues with

Power pro slick 8

Edited by ecmilley

Use two o rings..cross them over and stick the hook where they cross...the hook will also sit perpendicular to the worm, not parallel like it does with one ring.

How would the 2 o ring method be done? Is there a pic or something we can see? Sounds interesting. Thanks.

Edited by AdamW

This is all great info everyone. I bought an o-ring tool yesterday and will be trying it out next week on Lovesick Lake for some largemouth. Haven't fished there before. I know there's lots of weeds and cover, so if the frog/topwater bite is off I'll be pitching wacky and weedless senkos in the junk and hopefully pulling out some big ones!

Even better than 2 o-rings is a short section of shrink wrap tubing. I routinely use the same 4" senko for most of my fall smallie fishing on a wacky-jig or weightless wacky rig. I hook right through the shrink wrap tubing and the worm, no issues with hook ups and the senko will often stay on for 20+ big fish.

My rod is a Dobyns Champion 704SF. I fish this with with 20lb Sifix 832 and a 7 or 10lb fluorocarbon leader.

For wacky style I'll use 2/0 to 5/0 Gamakatsu Wide Gap Finesse hooks depending on the worm used.

New for me this year is the Neko Rig. I use tungsten pyramid weights, VMC Neko hooks and use an O ring on my senkos. Digressing slightly, Neko rigging a 3 1/2in. craw has been a very, very good producer for me this year.

Has anyone used Senkos for pike fishing? Ive had a few pike sniffers this year while targeting bass..just wondering if anyone targets pike with them.

I always have a 7" stickworm tied on for both pike and musky: great post-follow bait. A big, pink Yumdinger has saved many slow musky days for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I went nuts this summer with buying Senkos. I have a couple of Planos full with them out of their bag.

I remember old scented Berkley soft baits would shrivel up and go hard over the winter.

How do you guys store your Senkos? Any need to repackage them in a zippy or do they stay nicely soft over the winter in a Plano? Any idea if they lose their scent if they're not bagged?

Has anyone used Senkos for pike fishing? Ive had a few pike sniffers this year while targeting bass..just wondering if anyone targets pike with them.

Nope. If a pike does hit your senko they're most likely to snap your line. Your better off using traditional pike lures.

If you do intend to target pike with senko's, just don't be that guy who uses them earlier in the season when bass season is closed. Seen so many of these guys around that claim they're targeting pike but when they catch a bass, they gotta take pics with it.

Since I only got into Senko's this year I can respond about how to best store them over winter. Hopefully someone can chime in on that. I keep mine in the package in an plano box that has no dividers in it. I know some guys put them in ziplock bags. Not sure if they need to be sealed up that good or not.

In the last month I had great success on wacky style, both weightless and weighted. For weighted I use an 1/8oz vmc wacky jig head. Works awesome when the fish are down below 10 feet.

For you guys and gals fishing with high vis line - do you use that setup for only fishing senko's? I'd like to have a reel with high vis line for that but would also like to use the same rod for topwater baits too. Any thoughts on tying a mono leader (maybe 16'' long) to high vis line and throwing topwater baits?

Since I only got into Senko's this year I can respond about how to best store them over winter. Hopefully someone can chime in on that. I keep mine in the package in an plano box that has no dividers in it. I know some guys put them in ziplock bags. Not sure if they need to be sealed up that good or not.

In the last month I had great success on wacky style, both weightless and weighted. For weighted I use an 1/8oz vmc wacky jig head. Works awesome when the fish are down below 10 feet.

For you guys and gals fishing with high vis line - do you use that setup for only fishing senko's? I'd like to have a reel with high vis line for that but would also like to use the same rod for topwater baits too. Any thoughts on tying a mono leader (maybe 16'' long) to high vis line and throwing topwater baits?

For what is is worth, my opinion only and I haven't fished now for years. I can't recall one instance when I can blame a poor outing on fish being able to see my line, and like 90% of the time I used original Stren, from 8 to 20 pound test. If the bite was bad using a fluorocarbon line like Prime didn't seem to help much if at all.