Burnt River - Out of Canning Lake

hutch4113

Going to be up in Haliburton in a couple of weeks, for the family cottage weekend (Kashagawigamog Lake). I am wondering the following:

1) Am I able to navigate/access Burnt River via Canning Lake? I have a 18.5 Foot Smokercraft.

2) If so how far would I be able to go (like to explore sometimes)

3) Finally - is it worth fishing there, or should I just concentrate on the Lakes themselves?

Only have a week so want to optimzie my time. Will be going for Bass/Muskie. (Or really anything that bites...lol).

no there is the dam at the end of canning lake and that's where the drag river dumps out and is not suitable for a boat not to mention the rapids and falls further down....stay on the kash chain of lakes as you have several lakes to fish and lots of good water to explore......

no there is the dam at the end of canning lake and that's where the drag river dumps out and is not suitable for a boat not to mention the rapids and falls further down....stay on the kash chain of lakes as you have several lakes to fish and lots of good water to explore......

yup.

The burnt river is good in the area between Fenelon and Kinmount from what I know. And all the musky I have ever heard of are not big by any means.

When dad had the place on Loon or as it was locally called Dudmon Lake years ago , we always said the Burnt started there.

Yep. It's an interesting stream. Once it leaves Loon, it really only flows through one other lake upstream of Kinmount. Some of the best backcountry in the county is along that river.

Yep. It's an interesting stream. Once it leaves Loon, it really only flows through one other lake upstream of Kinmount. Some of the best backcountry in the county is along that river.

Yup. Beautiful country. Haven't been through there in years.

S.

I used to have a cottage on the irondale river above 3 brothers falls.. It was awesome to snorkel below the falls.. Lots of small muskie around along with smallies and the biggest logs you could imagine..

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a cottage on the irondale river above 3 brothers falls.. It was awesome to snorkel below the falls.. Lots of small muskie around along with smallies and the biggest logs you could imagine..

Lots of small musky below the falls. I got a 46"er out of there one time. I was pretty proud of it when I caught it. I drew in quite a crowd lol...

S.

I saw stocking reports at one time that they put Browns in it just upstream of Blue Hawk Lake where it crosses Glamorgan Road, not sure if they still do that though. I would fish pan size Brookies in the Irondale but upstream off of Hadlington Lake Road.

I might be wrong but I think the brookie stocking is done. They still stock Browns. I would guess a lot of them just end up feeding the other fish species.

I've only caught small muskies above Kinmount over the years but reliable sources say there's some elusive giants in there. Years ago a kid jumped off the bridge in Kinmount for a swim and was beaten up pretty good by a large muskie.

Specks get put in the irondale near gooderham. Last i checked anyways, and that was a few years ago. Never had any luck catching them but i have caught some nice browns in there.

There's a culvert on a trib of the Irondale, on the Hwy east of Gooderham, near where the IOand B Rail Trail crosses , that was always good for a couple of pannies for breakfast. But that was years ago,too.

There's a culvert on a trib of the Irondale, on the Hwy east of Gooderham, near where the IOand B Rail Trail crosses , that was always good for a couple of pannies for breakfast. But that was years ago,too.

I know the spot well. Had a cottage in wilberforce, on grace lake, for 25 yrs. Sold it 2 years ago. Spent TONS of time in those woods and waters. The spot you refer to is where I catch the browns now....and the odd speck.

S.