Do you believe in the fishing calendar?

LittleWorm

Well I don't know about it affecting the fish bite but I do know that after almost 50 years of marriage there are certain times of the month it's better to go fishing than stay home ;)

Cliff, you are a real piece of work! lol I nearly spit my coffee out at that one!

I'm a believer in the lunar calendars. I had a Fishntime watch from Casio that showed the major and minor periods each day.

I also remember an old Hank Parker Outdoors episode back in the '80's where he said to pay attention to wildlife around you when getting ready to launch your boat. If the chipmunks and squirrels were out running about and the birds were actively flying around, then this was a good indication that all creatures would be doing the same, including those under the water. This would mean that fish should be active and away from cover feeding and cruising around. If it was the opposite, they might be shut down close to cover. I would think this has a lot to do with the weather and barometer, but also the magnetic pull of the moon.

Makes good sense to me to be aware of what is happening in nature while we are out enjoying it. Hank was also a hunter and he made a lot of sense of things.

The general consensus of the scientific community is that fish cannot directly sense changes in atmospheric pressure. The pressure the atmosphere exerts on the surface of the water is only a tiny fraction of the pressure exerted on the fish by the water above it. The 100 year record high & low pressures in this area are 31.04 & 28.30 " Hg (inches of mercury) respectively. Doing some math, this equates to a 2.74 " Hg or 37" of water difference between the extremes. Typical swings are less than half of this. So if a 3 foot wave passes over a fish or the fish swims up or down in the water column by 3 feet it would feel exactly the same change as the 100 year extremes would exert. Since the fish cannot tell the difference between water pressure or air pressure, it really can't tell whether the barometric pressure is changing or the depth of water above it.

All that being said, the fish do seem to sense changing weather patterns in a number of other ways including light, waves, clouds, etc so they should be smart enough to know to come in out of the rain even if we don't! I'm not sure about the calendar/moon thingy but I know the bright moonlit nights keep the walleye feeding.

Sounds plausable.

But ask anyone who spends alot of time on the water what the bite is like 30 mins before a storm hits? Lol

Weather it's barometric pressure or not, there is something about it that turns on a frantic feed

Edited by manitoubass2

The general consensus of the scientific community is that fish cannot directly sense changes in atmospheric pressure. The pressure the atmosphere exerts on the surface of the water is only a tiny fraction of the pressure exerted on the fish by the water above it. The 100 year record high & low pressures in this area are 31.04 & 28.30 " Hg (inches of mercury) respectively. Doing some math, this equates to a 2.74 " Hg or 37" of water difference between the extremes. Typical swings are less than half of this. So if a 3 foot wave passes over a fish or the fish swims up or down in the water column by 3 feet it would feel exactly the same change as the 100 year extremes would exert. Since the fish cannot tell the difference between water pressure or air pressure, it really can't tell whether the barometric pressure is changing or the depth of water above it.

All that being said, the fish do seem to sense changing weather patterns in a number of other ways including light, waves, clouds, etc so they should be smart enough to know to come in out of the rain even if we don't! I'm not sure about the calendar/moon thingy but I know the bright moonlit nights keep the walleye feeding.

barometric pressure simply affects the weather...if you try fish during a the tail end of low pressure or immediately after, the fishing is typically slow. if you fish before a big change, or during consistent high pressure i find the fishing to be better.

Dont know if I have cared much for moon phases, because if i get the opportunity to fish Im gonna fish it...

Weather on the other hand...can sometimes put a "damp"-er on things...it doesnt mean Im not gonna fish it...it just means I should know what to expect while I am out on the water.

Sounds plausable.

But ask anyone who spends alot of time on the water what the bite is like 30 mins before a storm hits? Lol

Weather it's barometric pressure or not, there is something about it that turns on a frantic feed

I agree 100%, the question is how do the fish know??? Maybe they have a weather app built in...

I agree 100%, the question is how do the fish know??? Maybe they have a weather app built in...

I honestly have no clue???

Maybe the barometric pressure is felt by baitfish? Small airbladders leaving them more boyant and in shock that presents a prime feeding time for larger game fish???

Edited by manitoubass2

I honestly have no clue???

Maybe the barometric pressure is felt by baitfish? Small airbladders leaving them more boyant and in shock that presents a prime feeding time for larger game fish???

Well I do know this, I spent a lot of money to send my son to University to study freshwater marine biology and he can't answer the question either.... a lot of good that did. I thought that would be my ace in the hole for catching more fish but it just hasn't panned out that way.

Well I do know this, I spent a lot of money to send my son to University to study freshwater marine biology and he can't answer the question either.... a lot of good that did. I thought that would be my ace in the hole for catching more fish but it just hasn't panned out that way.

Hahahaha epic

I fish when ever, where ever. I dont rely on the calendar. If I did, I be sitting at home, drinking cold beer and eating burgers.Better to be fishing, Get home , cooking my catch and drink cold beer. If no fish, well, the cooking still happens, and the cold beers are always at the side. Bacon wrapped anything, is good anytime. :canadian:

This is, Hogwash :lol:

attachicon.gifturkey wrap 008.JPG

Thanks for showing me what heaven looks like.

Cheers

Lol!

Sounds plausable.

For sure. I would also suggest that it probably starts up to two hours earlier.

Here's another for sure. I first learned to fish Lakers from an old childhood friend in the early 80's using leadcore or copper and gang trolls. I really fell for trolling back then as we explored Kipawa for many years, and its still is my preferred technique. He told me way back then that thunderstorms turn Lake Trout off big time and was he ever right. Even the next morning could still be dead. And it's not the lightning, it's the thunder. Go figure that one eh? I wonder if it happens on the great lakes too for other species?

Cheers

Well after a couple trips out when the calendar said it was good fishing and catching nothing I have come to the conclusion that the calendar

is full of bull poop!

I mean , there's no way I could have done something wrong and gotten skunked right! :sarcasm::rofl2:

In the end I think it comes down to right place at the right time with the right bait and putting it in front of their face enough.