Move Over Fall Fishing Because Spring is KING!!!

I used to think that fall fishing was the best but not anymore. The last few springs have taught me that this is the time of year when there is a true awakening and fish of all species go on an absolute feeding frenzy. This period of prime time fishing may be shorter in the spring than in the fall but it's definitely way more intense.

My spring fishing season began in early May on a cold, windy, and snowy morning. This nice 20 inch rainbow made it all worth it.

GOPR1167_zpslqfmwblr.jpg

On walleye opener, I crossed over to the Quebec side to make my first cast from shore as soon as the season opened at midnight. By 3 am, I had my limit. The walleye on the far right is spitting up a sunfish. Their bellies were full of tiny sunfish and minnows which explains why they were stacked in this particular spot.
IMG_4366_zpssbyre2df.jpg
Little did I know that I had a couple more memorable outings in store... I did some night walleye fishing from shore and the very next morning I went out for some lakers followed by brookies in the afternoon. I ended up having the best shore night walleye outing of my life. I caught and released 3 big walleyes and they were caught in size order. :D
A 22 incher.
IMG_4377_zpsopk8ceo7.jpg
A personal best from shore at 24 inches.
IMG_4379_zps8pwgncjf.jpg
10 minutes later, a new personal best from shore at 26 inches. This beast gave me a 5 minute fight. It was taking runs everywhere. It was so strong and kept digging against the current like it was nothing. What a rush!
IMG_4383_zpst6bpmwah.jpg
A few giant crappies also decided to join the party. I wish that I could've stayed later to fish some more but I was trout fishing in the morning so I needed some sleep. Unfortunately, I didn't get much sleep that night because I was so pumped up from landing those big walleyes. :)
18678909_10155262803309454_1594542164_n_
It was tough getting out of bed because I knew that this day would not be easy. We were going to a laker back lake which is difficult to access. I also knew that those little black flies would be out in full force and that was an understatement. They were just relentless, insane, and in very large numbers all day long. We had bug nets on all the time and we still managed to get bit from head to toe. Lucky for me, on the first pass I boated this 24 inch beauty laker.
IMG_4386_zpsaoafdqvf.jpg
In the afternoon we went float tubing for brookies and I was fortunate to catch this nice 16 inch speck. This definitely is a spring to remember and there's still a few weeks left. I look forward to my future adventures!
IMG_4398_zps0adyesyv.jpg
Oh and I almost forgot. :D I also went giant brookie fishing on the Quebec side of the river. My buddy caught 2 pigs that measured 22 and 23 inches. What can I say... The proof is in the pudding: Spring is KING!!!
GOPR1263_zpshmfdszka.jpg
GOPR1213_zpsaisxsqkp.jpg
Edited by Walleye'm Fishing