What type of line do you use?

LittleWorm

I think if people learn what knot to tie, get good at doing it properly and use fresh or properly stored line, the vast majority of their problems with breakage will be solved.

I'd agree. Only one line I have issues with and that's low test Berkley vanish. Breaks no matter what

A double palomar on 8 or 10lb braid, I can break a jig before the line. Love it! Rarely ever loose any line if you know how to break it correctly

Lower rod, point at the snag, grab line with glove and pull straight back. It will either break the line at the jig, break the jig, or free it safely and easily, depending on the snag of course

Edited by manitoubass2

I used 10 lb maxima with a double uni knot with 10 lb Pline floroclear as my leader this weekend down rig,n for lakers. Never had an issue. Might explain why I caught all the fish. :whistling::devil:

All my leaders are single or double. Weather it,s braid to Pline or mono to Pline. I have confidence in this knot and brand.

The only knot I ever use is the improved clinch. I use it for everything. Attaching leaders to braid(clinch to clinch), line to lure...whatever. Everything. I dont have any problems with knots coming undone, ever. The only other knot I use is a snell knot to tie harnesses.

Oh, and no fluoro for me. I don't like that stuff.

S.

When I was growing up mono was all there really was for line. Dad just put on 20lb test on my reel and away we went. Sometimes we caught lots of fish, sometimes we didn't catch anything. Did the line make a difference? I have no idea. Now when I watch fishing shows and talk to people everyone is like, you need to use braid or fluoro or a combo of both. So I decided this year I will try braid with a fluor leader and see if theres any difference. May just end up putting mono back on, who knows. I guess in the end mono was good enough for years and got the job done, maybe I just wasted $65 on line I didn't need to.

Ill be getting out tomorrow and hope to catch something.

When I was growing up mono was all there really was for line. Dad just put on 20lb test on my reel and away we went. Sometimes we caught lots of fish, sometimes we didn't catch anything. Did the line make a difference? I have no idea. Now when I watch fishing shows and talk to people everyone is like, you need to use braid or fluoro or a combo of both. So I decided this year I will try braid with a fluor leader and see if theres any difference. May just end up putting mono back on, who knows. I guess in the end mono was good enough for years and got the job done, maybe I just wasted $65 on line I didn't need to.

Ill be getting out tomorrow and hope to catch something.

Cost really shouldn't be a factor. The longevity you get from braid, coupled with the short lengths of fluoro used, most likely work out no more expensive...maybe cheaper, than mono. That is, if you're actually replacing the mono regularly.

Now if you buy $65 worth of line and trash it because you think you like mono better, that's your call.

Make sure you are using floro leader material and not mainline, there is a difference. I run regular power pro on all my setups.... even topwater.

Also give this knot a try... I find it easier to tie than anything else and have confidence in it. Just make sure the line you use for the loop is the floro since the braid is easier to manipulate. Good luck in the season.

Thanks for that vid BM

I will try it

I've never had any issues with the stealth braid

ya aside from the fibres all separating into individual lines and then bird nesting in my reel...then also leaving a burnt on plastic residue all over my reel...no real issues at all...stuff is straight doo doo

ya aside from the fibres all separating into individual lines and then bird nesting in my reel...then also leaving a burnt on plastic residue all over my reel...no real issues at all...stuff is straight doo doo

I got that crap on sale and put it on my kids rod. I agree.

Stuff is a nightmare, and good luck casting it more than 20ft lol. Nevermind casting in a wind.

It's ok for jigging if you can stand the god awful sound

Edited by manitoubass2

Maybe they made a change to it but I've never had that happen to me. But I do think next spool with be PP super slick8 again as I really like it and have it on one reel currently.

I still use mono, 6 lb and under Trilene XT on the spinners, 8 lb-12 XL on a spinner as XT gets wirey over 6 , all the level winds get XT as they are Salmon rigger gear . I do use PowerPro on dipsey gear though. Never been a fan of flouro.

edit: running 10 XT on my float reels with 4 and 6 XT as leader material

Edited by dave524