Cranking battery question

b_cdot

I'm going on year 6 with my cranking battery. Graph has been showing 12.2-12.3 volts with graphs running and livewell. Checked cell levels and notice all 6 were a bit low so I topped them up with STERILE water not DISTILLED. Didn't realise there was much difference until afterwards. I was told by a battery company that bottled drinking water is safe. I had a hard time believing that. My question is will sterile water harm my battery cells? And another question. Will I notice an increase in voltage after topping them up and giving them a charge? Thanks for any help. I'm trying to understand batteries so I can take better care of them in the future.

Distilled water is better, I don't think you did much harm to the battery by adding sterile water,

Anything after 6 years is a bonus for a lead acid battery,

The cranking battery in my boat is also 6 years old and still tests fine, but I am replacing it regardless,

Thanks for the replies fellas. What is your opinion about buying a deep cycle battery for cranking and running big graphs and also running live well and recirculators often? Is it a good idea? Im sure there is 100 threads on this question already. Any opinions, experiences?

Thanks for the replies fellas. What is your opinion about buying a deep cycle battery for cranking and running big graphs and also running live well and recirculators often? Is it a good idea? Im sure there is 100 threads on this question already. Any opinions, experiences?

What size motor do you have? If you are trying to start a big 250 hp motor, then a deep cycle may not be able to supply the amps required. Smaller motors should be fine with a deep cycle.

Costco has a good size deep cycle/ starting battery. I'm going to pick one up this week, I just added a second graph and I don't trust the starting battery to run the whole show. might be worth a look to see if it will work with your outboard. I've only got a 50 so it'll be no problem.

Im running a a 150 merc v. I have two big lowrance hds units. Its seems better to have a deep cycle battery to run two "computers" livewells, lights than to be draining a cranking battery.

You may want to consider a two battery setup; one for the main motor and one for all of your accessories. I think there are isolaters that will allow your main motor to charge both batteries but prevent your accessories from draining your starting battery.

I just went through this delemma. Basically as stated above if you have the room for two batteries ( 1starting 1 deep cycle for your master panel) that is the ideal setup. I did not have the room so I went with a dual purpose AGM battery with 800mca and 75ah (@20amp draw) because I could only fit a group size 24 battery in the compartment.

If you do decide to go dual purpose and have the room grab a Kirkland group size 27 dual purpose with 850mca and 120ah at Costco for $130.

I also found this site which is a good guideline to what CCA and MCA you need for your motor on the Deka battery site.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0406MarineApplicationslayout.pdf

Good luck.

You may want to consider a two battery setup; one for the main motor and one for all of your accessories. I think there are isolaters that will allow your main motor to charge both batteries but prevent your accessories from draining your starting battery.

I just went through this delemma. Basically as stated above if you have the room for two batteries ( 1starting 1 deep cycle for your master panel) that is the ideal setup. I did not have the room so I went with a dual purpose AGM battery with 800mca and 75ah (@20amp draw) because I could only fit a group size 24 battery in the compartment.

If you do decide to go dual purpose and have the room grab a Kirkland group size 27 dual purpose with 850mca and 120ah at Costco for $130.

I also found this site which is a good guideline to what CCA and MCA you need for your motor on the Deka battery site.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0406MarineApplicationslayout.pdf

Good luck.

If I did have the room for another battery I totally would consider it but I only have a compartment for one starting battery. Thanks for the advice and the link. Will be looking into this new battery likely this season. This is great forum thanks for all the input.

Ive load tested it my cranker and it drops to 10.6 volts when i start it. Ill push it for some more trips but i will likely be replacing this year. Going to give my terminals a good cleaning today since i saw a bit of oxidization when i looked the other day

Equipment failure is not an option for me on the big water, or any water for that matter, specially in bad/rough weather.

I will be replacing my 6 year old battery before I hit the water this year.

I also carry good jumper cables in case I need a boost from my trolling motor battery or another boat.

I have never needed the jumper cables for my battery but have helped a couple of boaters with dead batteries.

Costco has a good size deep cycle/ starting battery. I'm going to pick one up this week, I just added a second graph and I don't trust the starting battery to run the whole show. might be worth a look to see if it will work with your outboard. I've only got a 50 so it'll be no problem.

I was in Costco in Mississauga this AM. They have both the big group 27 deep cycle/cranking as well as group 24 pure deep cycle. The were around $110ish I think. They also had group 24 AGM's for $159. The CCA was 875 I think (more than the group 27) and 120 min res capacity (same as the deep/crank). That might be a goodoption if you don't have space for the Group 27. Price is good for AGM and they don't need water.

Edited by Canuck

I was in Costco in Mississauga this AM. They have both the big group 27 deep cycle/cranking as well as group 24 pure deep cycle. The were around $110ish I think. They also had group 24 AGM's for $159. The CCA was 875 I think (more than the group 27) and 120 min res capacity (same as the deep/crank). That might be a goodoption if you don't have space for the Group 27. Price is good for AGM and they don't need water.

Gonna definitely look into agm type batteries

That's a good deal on AGM ?

Thanks, I'll take a look at the AGM's

Ive load tested it my cranker and it drops to 10.6 volts when i start it. Ill push it for some more trips but i will likely be replacing this year. Going to give my terminals a good cleaning today since i saw a bit of oxidization when i looked the other day

I wouldn't trust that battery. It shouldn't drop that much.

S.

I do a lot of perch fishing and SLOW trolling for walleye with my TM so my main outboard doesn't run much...... I use a Group 24 deep cycle battery for starting and running a AM/FM radio, VHF radio, 2 Lowrance depth/GPS finders and a livewell on a timer that runs 30 seconds about every 3 minutes.

My outboard is a 115 E-TEC and so far no problems whatsoever after 2 years with this set up......battery is dealer supplied, I personally would of went with a Group 27 or Group 31 battery. I do have a onboard charger that keeps ALL my batteries in top condition whenever not fishing, like right now after 5 hours on the water today.........tomorrow they will be ready again for another day of perch picking. . . . . . :)

Now I have heard that Merc's need more power to start and don't charge as well as a E-TEC so you might want to take that into consideration.

Verado's are supposed to have a dedicated battery for the engine... another for the kicker and accessories. Has nothing to do with power to start, it's just making sure you don't wamp the computer with a run down battery. My 275 takes about 2 seconds to start after hitting the key and has never failed to start even fishing in -10C weather. My 1000cca AGM's are currently on season 10 and starting season 11. The only one that needs changing is the kickers, but I'll be doing them both and throwing the good one in my walk behind pallet truck before heading for camp.

Verado and kicker batteries NEVER on an onboard charger and boat is in the water 6.5 months per year.